• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hit a deer... now what?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday night driving back from the theater after watching American Gangster around 1:30 AM I was driving past a ravine near my house. They're widening the road there and the streetlights temporarily out of service. A deer came out of nowhere and ran onto the road, I slammed the brakes and tried to swerve out of the way, but I still hit it with the passenger side corner of the car. The deer was scooped onto my hood, bounced off the windshield and rolled back onto the road about 10 feet from my car. I watched the deer for 10 seconds getting ready to call 911 to get someone because I thought it was either dead and needed to be moved, or near dead and needed someone to kill it. After about 15 seconds its legs started flailing and twictching while it was on its back, I thought maybe it was powering down and dying. Then it got up and ran away, so it looks like I only stunned it, at least its legs weren't broken. There was a car behind me and I got his phone # as my witness. I filed a report with the police today. The damage to the car is fairly bad, but it could have been worse. The windshield has a slight crack in it, the hood is dinged up,but the front passenger quarter panel on my '98 camry is all bent out of shape, the signal light is busted, and the bumper is broken. Now I have to take this to my insurance, I have comprehensive with a deductible. My question is, if I claim this, will my insurance rates go up? Its funny because I was just driving down that same road earlier giving a ride to a friend and he told me to slow down because there was a sign saying "uneven road", I just kept driving and told him not to worry about it. On the way back, about 5 seconds before I hit the deer I recalled that moment and thought to myself "I don't need to worry, I know this road like the back of my hand." .... then BAM!!! Ironic, huh? Also, I hit it with a glancing blow at maybe 10-15 mph and my airbags didn't go off... is that normal or should I be suing toyota?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course your rate will go up; anytime the company is made to pay, your premium will go up.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Virginia you will get a ticket if you swerve to avoid a deer. You are supposed to just plow through it because most accidents happen when people swerve. I almost hit one the other day, this time of year they are very active especially the males trying to get laid. Be on the look-out!

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Damnit the Family Guy bit where Peter hits a deer has been removed from YouTube.com!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Of course your rate will go up; anytime the company is made to pay, your premium will go up.

I thought your rates only went up when its deemed your fault. Isn't this considered circumstances beyond my control? Kinda like "act of God"?

Originally Posted by underwearer
In Virginia you will get a ticket if you swerve to avoid a deer. You are supposed to just plow through it because most accidents happen when people swerve. I almost hit one the other day, this time of year they are very active especially the males trying to get laid. Be on the look-out!

Huh? Doesn't that increase the risk of the deer going straight through my windshield? If theres no car in the other lane and its not dangerous driving conditions out, whats the harm in swerving?

I've read some weird advice on this before, one website recommended NOT slowing down when you're about to hit a deer to prevent it from scooping onto your hood (the front part of the car dips down when you slam the brake hard.) Instead you should just slam into it with your bumper at a steady speed and knock it forward. Seems suspect.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

Huh? Doesn't that increase the risk of the deer going straight through my windshield? If theres no car in the other lane and its not dangerous driving conditions out, whats the harm in swerving?

Because if you swerve you increase the chances of killing yourself and others. If you don't swerve you might just kill a deer. The ticket (I believe) is a detterent so people don't overreact and kill themselves which I imagine happens a lot. Unless you are Marrio Andretti you should just let up on the gas and hit the deer head on. Isnt that how James Dean died? By swerving and speeding up to avoid another car?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't swerve you might just kill a deer. The ticket (I believe) is a detterent so people don't overreact and kill themselves which I imagine happens a lot.
Maybe they should only ticket people who kill themselves swerving. That'll show 'em!

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should only ticket people who kill themselves swerving. That'll show 'em!

Recently some lady swerved and ended up killing her 2 kids and all they did was give her a ticket.

Deer are so cute though!

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
After about 15 seconds its legs started flailing and twictching while it was on its back, I thought maybe it was powering down and dying. Then it got up and ran away, so it looks like I only stunned it, at least its legs weren't broken.

They're pretty amazing animals. This season, my old man recovered the bullet he shot his first deer of the year with:
deerslug.jpg

He shot him in the rear, and the slug went through his hind leg, through his belly, through his heart and lungs, through his rib cage, and lodged itself between his shoulder meat and hide. The thing ran for 100 yards before it fell.

The power to live is pretty strong. It's funny how, in movies, dudes get shot in the belly and just fall over dead, or sick people just say their last words, close their eyes, and die.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently some lady swerved and ended up killing her 2 kids and all they did was give her a ticket.

Are you suggesting she should be subject to some sort of harsher punishment for doing what she thought was best to protect herself and her kids? Seems like that would just make her life more miserable for no good reason.

Originally Posted by ken
The power to live is pretty strong. It's funny how, in movies, dudes get shot in the belly and just fall over dead, or sick people just say their last words, close their eyes, and die.

Are you suggesting there's a chance the deer will recover, or that he'll probably wander off into the woods and die? I hit it with a glancing blow at about 13 mph. I really feel bad for the deer and hope its OK, but it ran off into the night, so there's really nothing I can do about it now.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting she should be subject to some sort of harsher punishment for doing what she thought was best to protect herself and her kids? Seems like that would just make her life more miserable for no good reason.

Im not sure killing her kids to avoid a deer was the best choice. Its wreckless driving. Its much safer to just hit the deer than to try and swerve into oncoming traffic and what not. Its much like slamming on your brakes when you start sliding on ice. Its a knee-jerk reaction and definitley not a good one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads