• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New RL coupon and private sale

mrwiz

Reaction score
This isn't related to the sale per se, but I did go into the Philadelphia store today to look around (not much to on sale unfortunately) and spied a blackwatch plaid bowtie on a mannequin. There weren't any on the rack with the rest of the bowties, but none of the others were more than $70 (retail price), so I figured the blackwatch bowtie couldn't possibly be more than that, right? Wrong. As I found out after getting one of the SAs to take it off the mannequin (which he was very reluctant to do), this particular bowtie was $225. I nearly fainted. And then I said "No Thanks" and walked away quite embarrassed. Who knew Ralph could charge so much for a bit of silk?

JamesT

Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't find the Darltons that appealing?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT

Not my cuppa tea either; I handled them last week in an RL store and found them pretty "meh". For that style, I'd gravitate toward an american maker.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Not my cuppa tea either; I handled them last week in an RL store and found them pretty "meh". For that style, I'd gravitate toward an american maker.

I agree with you about the American maker bit. However, I still find this style of shoe a bit too "clunky" for my own use.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand the desire to use an American maker, but Alden and AE are not made as well, and they are also a touch clunkier.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i haven't seen it in person, but based on pics, i feel the same way based on my own proclivity for sleeker shoes and a preference for monks and oxfords over bluchers.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Nothing from RL ever fits me without extensive tailoring.
Even their XS briefs?

rimshot.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interestingly, I don't like the Darlton plain toe bluchers much, but I own a pair of the shell cordovan wingtips and like them a lot. There are just times when I want a really clunky shoe and they fit the bill perfectly. They're what a wingtip should be.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Nothing from RL ever fits me without extensive tailoring.
The RL fit doesn't work as well for me, either. Other than shoes, it's hard for me to find a good fit without extensive tailoring.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
For those of you who are disheartened, I purchased the Darlton Shell Wingtips in May of 2006 for $303. They very well may be available again at low prices unless they are being discontinued. I think a deep discount on these seems like a consistent pattern of RL.

Originally Posted by shoe
whoever missed out on the $354 Polo shell Darltons. I pity all of you.

this is perhaps the deal of the century.

a very beautifully shaped shell wingtip blucher, trust me, it is very lovely. the toe shape is not gunboaty at all , a la McClain or 975 Alden.

just the construction and the meaty hide. the shape and color of the shoe is wonderful.

i always looked at this shoe whenever i went into rodeo Polo and pondered when this $700+ shoe will ever go on sufficient discount.

it finally did.

hopefully for all you unlucky can find it someday on GVH as I dont think RL will ever get this again in stock. let alone $354

ever again

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah but the difference between 2006 and 07-08 is that the shell cordovan market is changing. There doesn't seem to be very much shell to go around, let alone brown shell. Polo could very well continue to offer a brown shell shoe, but it would be surprising...

Still, we can wait and see.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Yeah but the difference between 2006 and 07-08 is that the shell cordovan market is changing. There doesn't seem to be very much shell to go around, let alone brown shell. Polo could very well continue to offer a brown shell shoe, but it would be surprising...

Still, we can wait and see.

Why is brown shell so scarce?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics