• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GPS Advice

SamIam33

Reaction score
So, this is random, but I am thinking about buying a portable GPS device as a Christmas gift, and was wondering if anyone is an expert here. I am seriously considering the TomTom XL-S, its the new one out that comes with Text-to-Speech (it also has other cool features- mapshare, help me etc). I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I really like that it has TTS to you don't have to look down to see the the road names-- it calls them out for you. Anyone have suggestions?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm far from a GPS geek, but I have a lot of experience with them.

Personally, I would stay with Garmin. I have the Etrex Legend which IMO is the best bang-for-buck for handheld GPS's.

SamIam33

Reaction score
Really, what do you like about your Garmin? I have used the TomTom ONE and found it very easy to use... that's why I am considering the XL-S. Does the Ertreix Legend have Text-to-Speech and mapshare??

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 660 and find it to be easy to use. It actually is easier to use and faster than a built in system in one of my autos.

SamIam33

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I have a Garmin 660 and find it to be easy to use. It actually is easier to use and faster than a built in system in one of my autos.

Yeah, I have one built in my car now, and the TomTom actually was easier to use that the in-dash one too. I was going to get the XL-S for my parents for Christmas since they don't have one built in, and I like that it has the TTS but isn't quite as expensive as some other models...

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by refreshtea
Garmin Nuvi > Tom Tom. Used both before.

Yeah, but does your Garmin have celebrity voices calling out directions?

Nothing like Mr. T yelling at you while you drive.
smile.gif

SamIam33

Reaction score
Yeah it seems like there's always debate between Garmin and TomTom, but I've read lots of good reviews about the XL-S. Homer, do you know if the Garmin 350 has text-to-speech and if so how much it runs for? Price looks good for the XL-S but I'm also waiting for some holiday deals to start...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nuvi 350 can be had at walmart.com (online only) for around $350

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SamIam33
Yeah it seems like there's always debate between Garmin and TomTom, but I've read lots of good reviews about the XL-S. Homer, do you know if the Garmin 350 has text-to-speech and if so how much it runs for? Price looks good for the XL-S but I'm also waiting for some holiday deals to start...

It does have Text to Speech. Garmin model comparison here. The 350 is an older 3xx but I see no reason to get the newer one myself. http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_t..._nuvi_com.html

I know there's gonna be some GPS deals this black friday/shopping season. Also, paypal is doing a 20% cash back promotion at select retailers for paying by paypal (up to $50 back). I might look into that if an electronic retailer shows up

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best buy will have the Nuvi 200 for 169.99 on BF but alas, no text to speech.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Did anyone snag a gps on Black Friday?
I heard some crazy deals running for the 3rd Edition TT, but I wasn't able to pick one up.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying the Mios C320 for $149 at Radio-Shack. I considered the Tom Tom 3rd edition, but figured it would be better to pay the extra 20 dollars and get a device that was in wide-screen and capable of running text to speech.

I can't think of any cons, considering the price I paid, plus I love the thin profile and stylish design.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
It does have Text to Speech. Garmin model comparison here. The 350 is an older 3xx but I see no reason to get the newer one myself. http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_t..._nuvi_com.html

I know there's gonna be some GPS deals this black friday/shopping season. Also, paypal is doing a 20% cash back promotion at select retailers for paying by paypal (up to $50 back). I might look into that if an electronic retailer shows up

I'll second (or third or whatever) the Nuvi endorsement. I've owned the 350 for about a year after my business partner recommended it, and it is awesome. The text to speech function is top rate and I couldn't go back to my older non-speech device. If you can, get the next model up with a widescreen and brighter display. I used to troll bensbargains.net and slickdeals.net looking for a deal and got mine for $350 on a costco special.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads