• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

crush

Reaction score
forza 2 on xbox 360 is the only game i play(very occasionally though)

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
I've actually purchased a few other NES games (Excitebike, Punch-Out!!, Tecmo Bowl) but deleted them off of the console. I love the NES, but it suffers from the same problem as the PSOne in that devs were so enamored with pushing a new type of hardware to the boundaries rather than utilizing said hardware properly and relying on art direction. The games have aged so poorly and really, I think every title so far sans SMB 3 better serves as a history lesson than an enjoyable game that stands the test of time.

I think the original Legend of Zelda is still fun to play.

SNES on the other hand...
inlove.gif
+1
inlove.gif

I was extremely glad to see so many great SNES games re-released on the GBA.

Originally Posted by dusty
I think I've only bought Bomberman 93 for the Turbografx and Yoshi's Island, neither of which I've played.

Yoshi's Island is extremely good and I rank it above all of the 2D Marios. I've been playing Yoshi's Island DS recently and, while fun, it's definitely not as good as the original.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
This is the most hilarious commentary I've heard yet on the current generation of consoles:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...onsole-Rundown

Someone from England talking too quickly blasting the PS3, Xbox360, and Wii.

--Andre

Ha! I love Zero Punctuation. Yahtzee is actually a British transplant living in Australia. He also has some pre-Escapist videos floating around somewhere. Thanks for posting this.

I got Super Mario Galaxy today and it's actually the first time I've played it. No "Best Game Evar!" impressions or the minimal media I exposed myself to could have prepared me for this. It's totally disorienting and brilliant. It pushes things forward and I feel really, really sorry for Ratchet & Clank because while that's an incredibly polished and fun game, it's been made obsolete in a month.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Haha you are right. I just finished R&C last night and that game is kids play compared to the complexity of SMG. This game is amazing, and oddly enough, some of the best video game music I've heard in awhile. I love it.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, my TRU lost their shipment so I don't have it yet! However they did offer to knock another $10 off the price, effectively reducing it to $15 including the $25 gift card.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Ugh, my TRU lost their shipment so I don't have it yet! However they did offer to knock another $10 off the price, effectively reducing it to $15 including the $25 gift card.

Many TRUs are having this problem. Mine did as well, and several people on other message boards have been reporting the same problem.

I heard that if you call Best Buy and ask for a price match, they'll charge you $25 for it.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Yahtzee is actually a British transplant living in Australia. He also has some pre-Escapist videos floating around somewhere.

And also, if I'm not mistaken, responsible for the amazing amateur adventure game 5 Days a Stranger.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mario Galaxy is amazing, but this lack of manual camera controls is driving me nuts. What makes game developers think this is ok? To think that there is a perfect camera angle for every in-game situation that they can pre-program is ridiculous. I haven't died many times because of the camera, but it's made several parts of the game much harder than they had a right to be, especially parts where you want to strike out on your own and explore the stages. Also, I'm constantly slowing down waiting for the camera to readjust, effectively dampening the momentum that is so great about Mario games. The worst part is that manual camera control is already programmed into the game (on the D-pad), but it's so strict that you are rarely even allowed to use it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
The complete remake of Final Fantasy IV came out on the DS in japan last week. Full 3d, updated battle system (something like skill swapping later in the game or something, i don't know), slightly updated storyline and more. I've been playing it the past couple days. Someone released a patch that translates the battle menu, monsters, item/equipment names, and the main menu. Everything else including story, character names and descriptions are in japanese but if you've played through the game a million times it's easy to figure out. The game is awesome though. It's amazing seeing the new 3d take on it. Can't wait till it comes out in the US.

I beat zelda: hourglass 3 weeks or so ago. It was a relatively short game and not that difficult. Despite this, it was a lot of fun. The unique touch screen only controls seemed weird at first but were very enjoyable and like most nintendo made games; it was just plain fun.

Lately, my 2 friends and i have been playing a 3 team dynasty of NCAA Football 2008. We each take 3 star (out of 6) teams in different conferences and play on the hardest difficulty and try to take them to the top. Quite fun.

Any other games in the past month since this thread died that have been good?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'm such a huge fan of the Zelda series. Phantom hourglass was fun, as already noted, whether it was short or not. I love watching this series develop.

Also as previously noted, the camera controls in SM:G are killing me. That's kind of ridiculous! They need the free camera controls like they had in Mario 64.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I'm such a huge fan of the Zelda series. Phantom hourglass was fun, as already noted, whether it was short or not. I love watching this series develop.

Also as previously noted, the camera controls in SM:G are killing me. That's kind of ridiculous! They need the free camera controls like they had in Mario 64.

I think that if a platformer is well designed you shouldn't have any problems with obstacles. I haven't had any problems (120 stars on my first playthrough), but there seems to be a very vocal minority that dislikes the camera, and that's a shame. Mario is such an organic experience for me and I don't think things like that ever occurred to me and I guess it boils down to how you play your games.

Oh, and for those interested, the first footage of Street Fighter IV went up about 45 minutes ago. It's available on Gamevideos.com but I'm sure it will make it to YouTube soon.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's an old game, but it's new to me - I'm really loving Lego Star Wars, the Wii version. I love the fact that it's impossible to truly die in this game. And using the Wii-mote as a light saber rocks!

Haven't tried SMG yet... haven't cared for Mario since Super Mario World, though I hear Paper Mario is good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics