• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Ethical Question

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, so about two weeks ago, I won an auction for some shoes. Price was about $250. I paid, via paypal, and received a USPS tracking number from the seller. A week went by and I received nothing, so I went back and checked the tracking, which showed that the package had been delivered to my building several days earlier. I inquired in the mail room and tried to check with the loading dock people, but to no avail. No one seems to have seen the package.

So, what to do? I don't really want to walk away from the money (obviously), but I'm not sure whether it's the seller's fault, the building's fault or just some weird snafu. The possibilities are that it was misaddressed, such that the company name/floor number were not marked (the seller says they were); that someone in the building's mail-routing system lost or swiped them, or that they were misdelivered internally and someone kept them. Lastly, it's just possible that they were returned to sender, but the tracking doesn't reflect that.

So, does one contest the CC charge? Dispute it with Paypal? Suck it up?

Thots welcome.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eesh that blows
angry.gif
My 2 cents. I think the seller has performed his/her part. They shipped to the address and it shows as delivered.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a tough one and it's hopefully not the sellers fault. Do you know if your credit card company offers insurance on goods lost in transit? Have you contacted USPS to see if they can help?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
OK, so about two weeks ago, I won an auction for some shoes. Price was about $250. I paid, via paypal, and received a USPS tracking number from the seller. A week went by and I received nothing, so I went back and checked the tracking, which showed that the package had been delivered to my building several days earlier. I inquired in the mail room and tried to check with the loading dock people, but to no avail. No one seems to have seen the package.

So, what to do? I don't really want to walk away from the money (obviously), but I'm not sure whether it's the seller's fault, the building's fault or just some weird snafu. The possibilities are that it was misaddressed, such that the company name/floor number were not marked (the seller says they were); that someone in the building's mail-routing system lost or swiped them, or that they were misdelivered internally and someone kept them. Lastly, it's just possible that they were returned to sender, but the tracking doesn't reflect that.

So, does one contest the CC charge? Dispute it with Paypal? Suck it up?

Thots welcome.

dont suck it up, that is a lot of money. im not sure if the ebay seller sent the package with SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

this is an ebay policy that all purchases of $250 or over must be signature required or else the blame falls in the hands of the seller.

talk to the seller about this and see what can be done. if not, open a dispute with paypal, and if that does not work go to your cc.

seller MUST provide trackable shipping with SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spoken like a seller.
sly.gif

I'm not sure you're wrong; I kind of feel that way myself. If I knew he'd addressed it fully and exactly as indicated, I would have no dilemma. But I don't know that, for sure, and it's part of what gives me pause. Then again, maybe I'm just rationalizing. I'd love to stick someone with the bill...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
dont suck it up, that is a lot of money. im not sure if the ebay seller sent the package with SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

this is an ebay policy that all purchases of $250 or over must be signature required or else the blame falls in the hands of the seller.

talk to the seller about this and see what can be done. if not, open a dispute with paypal, and if that does not work go to your cc.

seller MUST provide trackable shipping with SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

Thanks for the information, Brian. This is a policy posted on ebay somewhere, I take it?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell your cc company at least. **** happens, so smear it around since you never got your goods.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I've had a quick look at the buyer's protection policy and have opened a dispute via paypal. It's not my intention to stick this guy with the bill, provided he can show that he did fulfill his duties. But I see no reason I should be left holding the bag. Is it too much to hope that Paypal will actually cover something under its policy?

If so, I fear I may get dinged for my first negative feedback...
frown.gif

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it was shipped UPS you have $100 insurance included free. Maybe you can get back some of your money that way. Don't know if you can still do that after it was "delivered."

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
OK, I've had a quick look at the buyer's protection policy and have opened a dispute via paypal. It's not my intention to stick this guy with the bill, provided he can show that he did fulfill his duties. But I see no reason I should be left holding the bag. Is it too much to hope that Paypal will actually cover something under its policy?

If so, I fear I may get dinged for my first negative feedback...
frown.gif

you should call up the courier and find out what happened. let them know that on the tracking it states shipped but it is not found at your place.

the signature required is a policy for all $250 and over shipped items. im not sure if it is on ebay , paypal , or both. you can look up it and find out in their help section.

complain to the apartment complex management office (if you find out it was not the courier's fault) and let them know you lost a valuable package delivered to the apartment but somehow got misplaced, lost , or stolen. they should recompense you someway.

last thing is the paypal dispute. reality is, this way, the seller will be the one with the short end of the stick.

paypal will NEVER lose one cent of their money. they say buyer protection or seller protection.
but basically, whenever c.c company takes their money, they simply take that money back from the seller, even though no party is at fault.

that is not protection. when a company or business offers an insurance of some kind, or some sort of protection, the sacrifice has to be endured by the issuer of protection.
we pay a small fee each time we use paypal's service, and 99% of the time it is not either buyer or seller's fault, thus then the paypal needs to follow through and cover for the loss to either the seller or the buyer.

but paypal never does. they just say protection. they just take their hand and pull the money out of the seller's account.

some sort of bureau or authority has to investigate this about paypal. there's got to be some sort of a possible lawsuit to arise from this for all the people scammed out of by paypal.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's going to give Paypal the tracking number, it's going to show up as delivered and they're probably going to cancel your dispute. I would say your shoes are somewhere in your buildling, for sure.

the etruscan

Reaction score
Contact your courier first. They will contact the driver, he will check where he left them. I had a similar thing occur recently and the driver had just left my package (a piece of original artwork) on the doorstep of a random building near mine because he was running late, and faked the signature.

Usually, if you contact the courier they will establish whether it was misdelivered or successfully delivered within a few days. From there, you know where to look.

The seller did his part, his package was sent, claims to have been delivered (courier would indicate if they had returned it to him). Do whatever you can before you stick him with the cost of an error that was not his.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a very tough situation.

continue with all the disputes you can

did you pay by credit card? if so, wait a few weeks and file a chargeback

but ultimately, i would raise hell with the deserved culprits - the mail sorters at your building. you weren't very clear what it was (an apt? is there a doorman? is it your office? do you work in a warehouse), but I presume someone is responsible for physically looking at the mail and putting it where the recipients can get it. If you work in an office, I would possibly send out one of those annoying "uhh did someone take my parcel?" emails. It often leads to someone dumping the package near the front desk. Otherwise ask the receptionist/doorman/mailsorter if they remember the package. Show them the confirmation.

someone screwed up, it wasnt you, it wasnt USPS, it may not have been the seller. it was your mail sorter.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
it's a very tough situation.

continue with all the disputes you can

did you pay by credit card? if so, wait a few weeks and file a chargeback

I think this is the best advice. If the seller isn't at fault, he doesn't deserve to get screwed over, even if he didn't require signature confirmation. I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay and didn't realize I needed to get confirmation.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
at where we live , the mail room for packages is a seperate , unmonitored room .

all packages from usps, dhl, fedex, ups, etc come here and get labeled by the courier with our apt. number.

no one monitors the room and for that i am usually very preoccupied at work when I know i am expecting a big package back home that day.

but so far, there has been no problems, no one steals anything, and if anything is misplaced , usually the neighbor will bring it to your door. this has happened to me couple of times.

im surprised , since our complex is HUGE, and there are alot of young people around. but so far , everybody has been abiding by the honor system.

but i still get leery and preoccupied when i know a vass shoe or G&G (coming soon via royal air mail) are being sent to me and left in that small mail room , where possibly anybody can just walk in and pick up and steal anything without anyone knowing the better.

i mean, we all have to sign out our packages, but what does that do to secure anything? i mean, cmon,. anybody can take my package and just sign saying they picked up their parcel.

what im trying to say is, although there is a possibility that someone might have stolen your package,
chances are not,. it may just have been misdelivered to the wrong apt. or misplaced somewhere.
i definitely would look extensively at your building management and see if they can resolve this for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics