• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am moving the thread I high-jacked

flylot74

Reaction score
OK Guys, here is my premise. Since about the 1960s our sartorial standards have declined significantly. I believe that this is one of many symptoms of our societal decline. Our morals have decayed, our religious beliefs have been called into ridicule, our work ethic has declined. Our standards are not what they used to be. We have lowered ourselves into some kind of abyss where moral relativism rules the day.

Consequently, our status in the world has been lowered and in fact we are fighting for our economic survival. Our educational standard and related product is horrible.
Jobs are being lost overseas. We manufacture and design very little. Do you agree or not? If you do, do you think it is our collective responsibility to set high standards. Do you choose to lead, follow, or just get out of the way.

I know where I stand, where do you?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, into the abyss we shall march...

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Our religious beliefs" says quite a bit...

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flylot74
OK Guys, here is my premise. Since about the 1960s our sartorial standards have declined significantly. I believe that this is one of many symptoms of our societal decline. Our morals have decayed, our religious beliefs have been called into ridicule, our work ethic has declined. Our standards are not what they used to be. We have lowered ourselves into some kind of abyss where moral relativism rules the day.

Consequently, our status in the world has been lowered and in fact we are fighting for our economic survival. Our educational standard and related product is horrible.
Jobs are being lost overseas. We manufacture and design very little. Do you agree or not? If you do, do you think it is our collective responsibility to set high standards. Do you choose to lead, follow, or just get out of the way.

I know where I stand, where do you?

I hate to rain on your parade, but the fact that the majority of people here who care about style are also radical left wing nutjobs seems to slightly blunt your argument. They may not have moral or religious values, but they do look good.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just don't buy the connection. Some of the best, most God-fearing people I know dress in jeans and T-shirts. Doing so doesn't make them bad people. And it's not just true now. How many men have owned only one suit, so that they could wear it to church on Sunday?

The clothes a man wears do not advertise the contents of his heart. That, the Bible tells us, is known only to God.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nazi officers were very well-dressed.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such melodramatic, misplaced nationalism. The sky is not falling, and even if it were, baggy jeans and baseball caps at dinner are not the precursor to said fall.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Such melodramatic, misplaced nationalism. The sky is not falling, and even if it were, baggy jeans and baseball caps at dinner are not the precursor to said fall.

Well put.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The wheel keeps turning, the old order gives way to the new, nothing lasts, except maybe a good straight razor.
China was once great and cultured, Mesopotamia and Constantinople were once centers of advanced learning. The Greeks made their empire but eventually gave way to the Romans and ridiculed them for their lack of culture. The Roman empire eventually gave way to feudalism and the dark ages (taking liberties here), which in turn gave way to the Renaissance. Europe was a power, Germany and Russia were powers. Once, the sun never set on the British Empire. The US became the last remaining 'superpower' once the USSR was no more.

So, you think our day in the sun should never end? Are we that special?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
I hate to rain on your parade, but the fact that the majority of people here who care about style are also radical left wing nutjobs seems to slightly blunt your argument. They may not have moral or religious values, but they do look good.

Funny, I was going to say the opposite....
bored.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278

+1 to this as well.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally weestern society highest point was in all respects was in the the late 15th century. The societal decay started with with the sodding protestants and the budding merchant class.
devil.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might fit in better at "Ask Andy..."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads