• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

working at jcrew

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, while looking for a part-time job, I ended up applying for a sales position at JCrew. I have an interview with them on Wednesday, and I am wondering what to expect in terms of the interview, besides the usual questions (most difficult task ever/expectations/etc), and also how to dress for a job like such.
I have never worked retail before, so would a shirt and tie be enough? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a part time sales position at J. Crew, I'd follow their dress code. It's a dress shirt with a sweater or a shirt and tie or a shirt and sports coat with pants and dress shoes. Forum member Minkous used to work at J. Crew and he might be able to help you out further, but I think as long as you dress nice you should be able to nail it.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
For a part time sales position at J. Crew, I'd follow their dress code. It's a dress shirt with a sweater or a shirt and tie or a shirt and sports coat with pants and dress shoes. Forum member Minkous used to work at J. Crew and he might be able to help you out further, but I think as long as you dress nice you should be able to nail it.

Thanks. I knew I read somewhere that somebody worked there, I just sent him a PM about it. I think I might just do shirt sweater or shirt + tie as I don't really have a very good sportscoat in my wardrobe right now.

hamm23

Reaction score
Im a part timer at J.Crew also. My interviews were pretty relaxed, just the usual questions. The dress code isnt too strict either. If you wear jeans you need to have on a tie or jacket and no sneakers. With chinos you can wear Jack Purcells and a button-down with a sweater/vest/jacket...... The discount is pretty good too, enough to keep me around

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was at my local J.Crew yesterday. The salesperson was wearing a v-neck sweater and tie and either dark chinos or cords. A very contemporary take on the traditional look.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I applied at J Crew, but was denied the job because my prior employment for Abercrombie might cause a "conflict of interest". I guess they thought I was a spy...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does one go about finding out about job positions. I don't see it on their website.
I feel left out that I've never worked in a mall store ever. I wouldn't mind the discounts at a place like BR or JC either.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew's discount is 40%, pretty good for a retail store. It's the only mall store I really like enough to consider working there, even for the discount. I had considered getting a job there, just for the discount and working on the weekends, as I already have a part time job in an office and go to a commuter college full time.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew's discount is 40%, pretty good for a retail store. It's the only mall store I really like enough to consider working there, even for the discount. I had considered getting a job there, just for the discount and working on the weekends, as I already have a part time job in an office and go to a commuter college full time.

I thought BR gave an even bigger discount, or maybe it was because the girl I know was a manager, but I swear she said she got 50-70% off. But yeah, J Crew seems to have the best looking female shoppers from what I've seen too, and of course, they have good style.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew catalog girls seem like they'd be perfect to take home to mom. There is a really cute girl at the local Gap but she is deaf. I hear they are the loudest in bed.
wink.gif

Brigden

Reaction score
J. Crew catalog girls seem like they'd be perfect to take home to mom. There is a really cute girl at the local Gap but she is deaf. I hear they are the loudest in bed.
wink.gif

Had I been drinking milk, it would have been all over my monitor.

Brilliant.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worked in many smaller "mall type" stores before from Kenneth Cole to even Bebe (eww) and I have hated them all. Working for all of these stores they always pay you **** and work you into the ground. Tedious actives like finger spacing hangers and perfectly folding sweaters are the norm. The store will close at 8 and you will not be gone until 9ish. I much prefer working for larger department stores. I have worked at Saks, Bloomies, and Bendels and have enjoyed them so much more. The money is also MUCH better at department stores. My sister has worked at JCrew for 2 years and still make like 9 bucks and 1% commission, thats insanse.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I have worked in many smaller "mall type" stores before from Kenneth Cole to even Bebe (eww) and I have hated them all. Working for all of these stores they always pay you **** and work you into the ground. Tedious actives like finger spacing hangers and perfectly folding sweaters are the norm. The store will close at 8 and you will not be gone until 9ish. I much prefer working for larger department stores. I have worked at Saks, Bloomies, and Bendels and have enjoyed them so much more. The money is also MUCH better at department stores. My sister has worked at JCrew for 2 years and still make like 9 bucks and 1% commission, thats insanse.

Yeah, I hear the smaller stores suck to work at. But I also assume the turnover is very high. I would work there long enough to meet some women and get some discounted clothes and then peace out.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Yeah, I hear the smaller stores suck to work at. But I also assume the turnover is very high. I would work there long enough to meet some women and get some discounted clothes and then peace out.

This will be my first experience in retail, so we will see. I think it will be a nice medium to meet some people, and it also means I get to buy more clothes and have a reason to dress well 3 days a week.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wink.gif

Jesus, I just sprayed beer all over the place, thanks man....
plain.gif

Yeah.........god, I'm still laughing!

To the OP: understand what you're getting into. First, it def. takes a certain type of person to work retail and do well. Second, you will be taken advantage of as an employee. Don't get me wrong, a lot of places are better than others, but there is a trend in treatment towards salespeople.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads