• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Top 10

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
I figured, given the Creeds and L'Artisan on your list. I was just fuckin with you a bit.

Lately I have been feeling that the niche fragrances aren't "accessible" enough for me for daily wear with the exception of OV...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I PM'ed you on a few scents.

If anybody's interested, I've got a few just barely sprayed bottles of main stream fare that I'm not using any more. M7, Kourous fresh, a small bottle of Curion, etc.

Hmmm... the PM didn't get to me. Could you try to send again, or send me an email?

Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, got the PM and replied. Thanks!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Lately I have been feeling that the niche fragrances aren't "accessible" enough for me for daily wear with the exception of OV...
I'm curious, what do you mean when you say "accessible"?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious, what do you mean when you say "accessible"?

I just don't feel that they work in my every day routine as the scents may take awhile to develop and sometimes I just want something less complex that doesn't change significantly over time.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No love for Penhaligon's excellent Blenheim Bouquet
frown.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
No love for Penhaligon's excellent Blenheim Bouquet
frown.gif

A favorite on the shaving forums but I never found it to be long lasting or uniquely smelling. Never really fell for any of the Penn's.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A favorite on the shaving forums but I never found it to be long lasting or uniquely smelling. Never really fell for any of the Penn's.

I agree... it's nice, but not so nice that I'd really want to spend the time hunting down a bottle.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get flak for this, but I like FCUK Him...It doesn't last long and it isn't very original, but what is when there are thousands of scents out there? Wearing this scent, I've gotten compliments from complete strangers on a regular basis...Everyone I compliments me as well...It just seems to attract everyone...I think that's what cologne is for...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
I'm probably going to get flak for this, but I like FCUK Him....

Just because it is a mainstream scent doesn't mean it isn't good. I haven't smelled FCUK in particular, but there are a lot of mid-range scents that I like a lot. For example, Emporio Armani He WHITE is one that I really enjoy in the summer, even though it isn't all that innovative. YSL Body Kouros, regular Kouros, Halston Z-14, and Versace Dreamer are a few others.

Niche scents are neat, but what they make up in originality they often lack in versatility (or, as drizz mentioned above, accessibility). Often they aren't interested in smelling "good" as much as making a statement or creating a mood, so often you'll have scents that aren't going to please many beyond the wearer himself/herself. So, whereas as a bottle of FCUK might find uses as a daily scent, a $200 bottle of Frederic Malle or Amouage might only be usable for specific, certain occasions, something like Corthay shoes vs. Alden or Loake.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what you're saying...After hearing about some of these niche scents, I ordered some samples from luckyscent...I got cdg (anbar and vetiver), cedre blanc by someone or another, Mark Birley and Divine l'homme sage...cedre blanc made me gag every time I smelled it, I liked Mark Birley, but it was just like any other generic scent to me. I loved Divine sooo much, but no one else liked it. I desperately wanted to like the cdg's and they did eventually grow on me...But for my purposes it just wasnt practical...and about making a "statement", I'm not so sure because even in the niche market it seems theres just a lot of "copycating" with not much originality. Every comment I see on luckyscent about a certain scent, someone else will be like OMG ____ is just like ____ except worse/better!!!11 And anyways, I don't adhere to the belief that different for the sake of difference is not always (if ever) better...

My conclusion, MOST niche fragrances are like women's "fashion"

*edit* what's with the women on luckyscent buying men's fragrances then complaining that they're just too manly??

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You know, just when I think I've found a scent my wife hates above all others, I find a niche scent (Ormonde Man, L'Autre, etc) that reveals a new depth of her hatred. Only niche scents seem to inspire such a response.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
I know what you're saying...After hearing about some of these niche scents, I ordered some samples from luckyscent...I got cdg (anbar and vetiver), cedre blanc by someone or another, Mark Birley and Divine l'homme sage...cedre blanc made me gag every time I smelled it, I liked Mark Birley, but it was just like any other generic scent to me. I loved Divine sooo much, but no one else liked it. I desperately wanted to like the cdg's and they did eventually grow on me...But for my purposes it just wasnt practical...and about making a "statement", I'm not so sure because even in the niche market it seems theres just a lot of "copycating" with not much originality. Every comment I see on luckyscent about a certain scent, someone else will be like OMG ____ is just like ____ except worse/better!!!11 And anyways, I don't adhere to the belief that different for the sake of difference is not always (if ever) better...

My conclusion, MOST niche fragrances are like women's "fashion"
?

I disagree. I don't think you should give up on niche fragnances all together after smelling only 5 and then not even the 5 better known as the representatives of typical niche. Your wallet will be happier though.
laugh.gif

Some "niche" (the definition is not clear cut BTW) houses like Creed have been producing the same fragnance for decades or even centuries (with some reformulations I am sure) and they certainly qualify as classic as opposed to fashionable. Creed has cought some flak lately for promoting their association with celebrities but the celebrities in question are usually long dead and usually the "classier" type.

I think it is the mainstream fragances that are most like "women's fashion". Each celebrity of the moment (Britney Spears, Sarah Jessica Parker, Paris Hilton, Gwen Stephani, Orange County Choppers!!, etc..) feels entitled to license their name to one or more fragnances developed by one of the big cosmetic companies. There are about 200 new fragnaces released each year and most of them just re-hash the same old themes designed to elicit "nice" comments from majority of the population and not offend anyone.

Smaller, "niche" fragance companies can afford to take chances and let their parfumers really go all out. Some people may hate them but noone is left feeling indiffferent. Parfumes Frederic Malle is one example of such a company.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a follow up, if you have never tried a niche, boutique, artisanal, independent or however you call it scent, try a sample of Creed Bois du Portugal and Creed Green Irish Tweed and let me know if you are still not impressed.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have actually found the Pen's to be incredibly long-lasting (I have the Racquets and Quercus as well). Certainly longer than my Acqua di Parma, Floris and Bond No.9. Perhaps only Creed's GIT tops the Blenheim in longevity.

Naturally, the effectiveness of scents vary greatly person-to-person, so your experience may be different.

ET

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads