• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NHL 08 for Xbox 360 is the only game i play.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Axelay is coming to Virtual Console tomorrow. All Wii owners should buy it, as it's one of the greatest shmups of all-time. Edit: Oh, Brian SD and other Wii owners, how's your VC collection going? I think I've shown amazing restraint so far: ActRaiser (SNES) F-Zero X (N64) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) Sin & Punishment (N64) Starfox 64 (N64) Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (SNES) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) Super Mario World (SNES) I've actually purchased a few other NES games (Excitebike, Punch-Out!!, Tecmo Bowl) but deleted them off of the console. I love the NES, but it suffers from the same problem as the PSOne in that devs were so enamored with pushing a new type of hardware to the boundaries rather than utilizing said hardware properly and relying on art direction. The games have aged so poorly and really, I think every title so far sans SMB 3 better serves as a history lesson than an enjoyable game that stands the test of time. SNES on the other hand...
inlove.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Orange Box is an amazing deal but I hate the fact that it's rated like other video games. It's a compilation of video games, most of which have already been released, yet its up for Game of the Year. Portal is awesome, amazingly awesome, but also short.
frown.gif

Technically three games out of five are brand new, and I would think that a Game of the Year award would be handed out based on those. If you're rating it on those three combined, it's probably a lock for the award. I think it's fair to rate them this way, since they're loosely related. Valve shouldn't be penalized for releasing games in an unconventional fashion.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Axelay is coming to Virtual Console tomorrow. All Wii owners should buy it, as it's one of the greatest shmups of all-time.

Edit: Oh, Brian SD and other Wii owners, how's your VC collection going? I think I've shown amazing restraint so far:

ActRaiser (SNES)
F-Zero X (N64)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Sin & Punishment (N64)
Starfox 64 (N64)
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (SNES)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Super Mario World (SNES)

I've actually purchased a few other NES games (Excitebike, Punch-Out!!, Tecmo Bowl) but deleted them off of the console. I love the NES, but it suffers from the same problem as the PSOne in that devs were so enamored with pushing a new type of hardware to the boundaries rather than utilizing said hardware properly and relying on art direction. The games have aged so poorly and really, I think every title so far sans SMB 3 better serves as a history lesson than an enjoyable game that stands the test of time. SNES on the other hand...
inlove.gif

I think I've only bought Bomberman 93 for the Turbografx and Yoshi's Island, neither of which I've played.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Technically three games out of five are brand new, and I would think that a Game of the Year award would be handed out based on those. If you're rating it on those three combined, it's probably a lock for the award. I think it's fair to rate them this way, since they're loosely related. Valve shouldn't be penalized for releasing games in an unconventional fashion.

I still disagree. They're all sold seperately. Each game in its own right could be nominated for GOTY, but packaging them all together as one game would be like Mario All-Stars getting GOTY.

my Virtual Console:

Metroid
Super Metroid
Sin & Punishment
Street Fighter II Turbo

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I still disagree. They're all sold seperately. Each game in its own right could be nominated for GOTY, but packaging them all together as one game would be like Mario All-Stars getting GOTY.

my Virtual Console:

Metroid
Super Metroid
Sin & Punishment
Street Fighter II Turbo

Yeah, but Mario All-Stars didn't contain any new content and The Orange Box is being marketed as a singular experience. Plus, 360 owners can only buy the games as a package, though I dunno' why you'd want to play any of these games with a controller.
tounge.gif
Regardless, considering the three new games here are arguably better than any of the other huge releases so far (I've already declared Galaxy GotY, however), I think it would definitely dilute things. If you can only have five candidates, for instance, I think it's unfair that three of those would be part of the same package. That's just my opinion though and I see where you're coming from.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I got the Orange Box a couple days ago and that's why no one has heard from me since. TF2 is everything I ever wanted, though I really hope someone comes out with a legacy mode mod of some kind so that I can use gas grenades again and make snipers see lightning and weird colors.

P.s. we should get a SFTF game going.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I just bought a PS3. Was I able to afford it? Time will tell!

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Yeah, but Mario All-Stars didn't contain any new content and The Orange Box is being marketed as a singular experience. Plus, 360 owners can only buy the games as a package, though I dunno' why you'd want to play any of these games with a controller.
tounge.gif
Regardless, considering the three new games here are arguably better than any of the other huge releases so far (I've already declared Galaxy GotY, however), I think it would definitely dilute things. If you can only have five candidates, for instance, I think it's unfair that three of those would be part of the same package. That's just my opinion though and I see where you're coming from.

Well Mario All-Stars was a bad example (although I think it included the Japanese SMB 2, which was definitely new to America). Let's say Nintendo holds off on releasing Mario Party 8, Mario Strikers and packages them with Galaxy and then throws in Super Paper Mario and calls it "THE MARIO BOX," (the individual games are also sold separately). One of those games is GOTY material, the others are just icing, but still, it's a package and not a game. Also, the PC version of OB is rated significantly higher than the X360 version, so since it's the definitive version, I don't think the "it's all new for X360" is a valid reason to still consider it a game.

It's not like Spike TV's awards matter anyway. They just put in what has the most hype, I have my doubts that the people who made their nominations played any of the games in the list except Halo 3.

I havent played Galaxy yet so I can't declare it my GOTY but I think it's likely.

BTW, Orange Box is $25 on black friday at Best Buy for PC if anyone here doesn't have it yet.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Well I just bought a PS3. Was I able to afford it? Time will tell!

Get Ratchet & Clank right away. VF5 is good and $40, Folklore is meh, I wouldn't go there. PS3's Call of Duty 4 is rated highest so if you want it, definitely get it for PS3. Uncharted is coming out on the 20th. Assassin's Creed comes out soon, too. If you get Galaxy, save your $25 gift card from the Toys R Us deal and get Uncharted (or Fire Emblem if you want).

There's your new owner's guide to the PS3
smile.gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh, thanks Brian. I think I'll just sit on it unopened for a while to make sure I don't need to return it (got a vacation coming up), but after that uncertain period I'd say either Uncharted or Warhawk will be the first game I buy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Saw the Wii was on sale today at Target. I went and grabbed it for $240, one of only two in the store. Some harried looking woman, with two kids that seemed to have Tourret's, said she had been all over the city and this was the only place that had any.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I got the Orange Box a couple days ago and that's why no one has heard from me since. TF2 is everything I ever wanted, though I really hope someone comes out with a legacy mode mod of some kind so that I can use gas grenades again and make snipers see lightning and weird colors.

P.s. we should get a SFTF game going.

I think the spy's cloak is a little too good, although you have no gas grens it'd be much easier for you to creep up on the snipers now.

This is brilliant:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anyone want to get a Style Forum gaming consortium together? Everyone posts their X-Box live, PS3, and PC usernames and whatnot. Could get some multiplayer action going and I'm sure it would be better than just randomly hooking up with people over the net. What do you all think?

By the way, anybody with a Wii, Toys-R-US will be having buy 2 get 1 free all next week. This week, they have Super Mario Galaxy going for $50 with a $25 giftcard free.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads