• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

belts: ferragamo vs C&G

DaveDr89

Reaction score
All,
I saw a Ferragamo belt at Saks that's for around $170 USD ... I was reading some of the old threads on belts and it seems that the quality isn't always that great ... it's a reversable belt and I can also get it at 30% off ... but I noticed on plal.com that C&J belts are around $118 USD ... w/ the 30% discount is the Ferragamo belt a no-brainer or is the quality dubious enough to just go w/ C&J?
thanks!

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltwater Wrangler
I am not a big fan of Ferragamo anything. I received a shirt as a birthday gift and it wore terribly and started to frat. IMHO, be cautious with their quality.
i may be wrong, but this is probably because they are known for shoes, not shirts. i'm thinking they may relegate their shirtmaking to another company.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
i may be wrong, but this is probably because they are known for shoes, not shirts. i'm thinking they may relegate their shirtmaking to another company.
Their ties, however, are very nice.

As for the OP, I don't have a Ferragamo belt (but would imagine that one would be very nice, given their shoes and, particularly, women's handbags), but I do have a C&J one. I can tell you that, although very nice, it is probably no better in any way that I can see than an A-E belt (it may be better-made, however; I can't tell), the latter available from many sources for around half (or less) the price (even from PLal) of a C&J belt. STP have tons of A-E belts at great prices, and they are available in abundance on eBay.

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree

quite possibe. They are known for their shoes, so I'd still be weary of other items. I'll have to look into the shirt maker and see if its another company.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
I would discourage anyone from buying Ferragamo belts. Having owned two, I consider them to be the lowest-quality articles of clothing I have ever owned. Both belts were reversable, meaning that they had two separate pieces of leather glued together. Here's what happened to each:

First, the pieces of leather came unglued. The belts literally split in half down the middle while I wore them. This began within three months of purchase. No amount of glue could get the two halves to stick together. One was sent back to Ferragamo for repair. They reglued it, and it again split apart a month or two later.

Second, the buckle was simply pinched on. This is so that they can alter the length by unpinching the buckle from the leather, cutting some amount of lenth off of the leather, and then repinching it. The pinch didn't hold. Because it relied just on pinch pressure against the leather, rather than on an actual puncture or stitching of the leather, the buckle started slipping off as soon as use compressed the area of the pinch. Eventually the belt became completely unwearable because the buckle would slide off the belt with the slightest of pressure.

I can't confirm whether they're still making their belts the same shoddy way, but they were from 2000-2004. That length of times shows the company continued to make junk for years despite fatal build flaws. Ferragamo belts are far lower quality than belts costing 1/3 their price. In fact, they're worthless after a few months. But something else.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
thanks for the info! I passed on the ferragamo belt and will explore the other suggestions ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads