• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why people go to Steak Houses?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I think buffets would be a prime locale for photography--a sort of tragically beautiful yet scathing Diane Arbus bit of business.

I'd entitle it Human Trough.

And you can ntitle one of the pictures with the oversized Americans stuffing their plates: Pig.

Jon.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
FYI, it's spelled: careful.

Jon.

You sir have never been to Argentina.

Jon.

You may want to mix in a comma every once in awhile before criticizing spelling and grammar.

I am not a big fan of steakhouses. I admit that the atmosphere can be fun, but I prefer to eat a steak cooked at home.

Buffets are vile things. The only things less appetizing are the little samples at third rate grocery stores that have been sitting around all day.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My mouth is watering...

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you can ntitle one of the pictures with the oversized Americans stuffing their plates: Pig.

Jon.

It is spelled : title.

When you have nothing to say , or not sure what to say and when, the best thing is , well not to say anything.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
It is spelled : entitle.

When you have nothing to say , or are not sure what to say and orwhen, the best thing is , well not to say anything.

QED II.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
QED II.

Your 5th grade grammar skills impress me much more than your thoughts.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am curious, as I have never enjoyed any.
I have been to many S-houses, since my friends and co-workers prefer them to real restaurants, but I always been deeply disappointed with food and service.
Service aside.., I can go along with certain vulgar familiarity from the waiter, but food? What about food?

It is barely cooked , sauce-less, never marinated, barely sprinkled with some salt and for side order ....drum-roll you can have carrots and mashed potatoes....

WTF?

Why folks are calling raw cube of meet with mash potatoes a cuisine, if it does not require any real skill or cooking for that matter.
What is the attraction? Is this a cultural thing?

I think you might need to try something different than The Sizzler to get a real appreciation of a good steak house.

I mean, sauceless? I usually get mine "Oscar" style, that is, with Hollandaise sauce and lump crab meat over it. I usually start with something light, like an ahi appy or a nice fresh mozz with juicy beefsteak tomatos with aged balsamic. Side, seared mushroom caps and grilled asparagus. Dessert is usually a creme brulee for two. They almost always have a nice 30-40 year old true vintage port for dessert too.

Something just tells me you need a better quality of co-worker and/or friends.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You may want to mix in a comma every once in awhile before criticizing spelling and grammar.

I am not a big fan of steakhouses. I admit that the atmosphere can be fun, but I prefer to eat a steak cooked at home.

Buffets are vile things. The only things less appetizing are the little samples at third rate grocery stores that have been sitting around all day.

I happen to think those samples that certain booths at farmers' markets hand out are really unappealing.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Your 5th grade grammar skills impress me much more than your thoughts.

It's tough to get much out of a book you can't read.

kakemono

Reaction score
I like medium-raw steak. A properly cooked steak needs no sauce on it.

Every meal had to have its meet, its potatoes, its bread, and milk. Its the all-american blue-collar meal.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of steaks, I'll be grilling a 1.5" thick NY strip shortly. It'll be accompanied with garlic green beans and mashed potatoes. I don't go to steak houses very often because my own steak is pretty good. With that said, a good steak house is as good as any other good restaurants. I prefer it sometimes because it's just a simple, good meal. I do dislike steak houses that try to dress it up for more than what it really is, a place where you can get grilled chunks of cow.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think buffets would be a prime locale for photography--a sort of tragically beautiful yet scathing Diane Arbus bit of business.

I'd entitle it Human Trough.

I like to imagine such buffets pureeing all the leftovers, then providing it to customers via large hoses that dangle from the ceiling. That way the more voracious eaters could suckle from an artificial teat, saving the need for all the work involved in chewing.

That bit of ghastliness aside, I'm not above a good buffet now and then.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brasilian steakhouses. That's how you do it.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kakemono
I like medium-raw steak. A properly cooked steak needs no sauce on it.

Every meal had to have its meet, its potatoes, its bread, and milk. Its the all-american blue-collar meal.

I agree. Salt is enough.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I'd like to know is why people go to buffets?

To eat until they feel like they want to die just so they know they got their moneys worth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads