• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pros and Cons of bowties

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get input from both sides of the spectrum, form the bowtie wearers I want to know why you choose to wear them. What aspects of the bowtie intrest you and how you knew the bowtie was for you. For the non wearers I want to know at least three reasons why you find bowties unessescarry for personal use besides the to hard to tie excuse it is old and over done and remember rome wasn't built in a day and if you have never even tried wearing one before all I can say is don't knock it till you try it.

Krawczak

Reaction score
I love bowties, but I won't wear them without a waistcoat or sweatervest. I'm 6'3", so it would be way too much blank shirt otherwise. I wear them because I like the way they look, and I'm not afraid to borrow from "outdated" modes of dress if I find them aesthetically pleasing.

Originally Posted by bowtielover
For the non wearers I want to know at least three reasons why you find bowties unessescarry for personal use besides the to hard to tie excuse it is old and over done and remember rome wasn't built in a day and if you have never even tried wearing one before all I can say is don't knock it till you try it.

I'm usually not nitpicky, but DAMN that's some sentence.

flylot74

Reaction score
I find bow ties to be festive. I find at my age I carry them well with sport jackets and a fedora. Suits will ordinarily get a long tie, and I feel a bit more conservative in my persona. Funny, I'm starting to dress how I feel, and interesting phenomena.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear bowties exclusively for black tie events (or white tie if I was ever invited to such a formal event). I find them costumey and attention-seeking for regular business attire

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I wear bowties exclusively for black tie events (or white tie if I was ever invited to such a formal event). I find them costumey and attention-seeking for regular business attire

+1 I can't take anyone seriously who wears them. Men who wear them are either politicians, professors, or people in television news. In my experience, none of those people live in the real world. The connection may be spurious, but one can never be sure.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the waistcoat remark above. When bowties were common as daywear, waistcoats were basically compulsory. This corrected the problem of the vast expanse of shirt front that is otherwise visible.

Were I going to wear one, I'd probably want to wear a covered placket shirt - that said, this would possibly look a little too much like I was wearing some kind of pseudo-black tie.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
+1 I can't take anyone seriously who wears them. Men who wear them are either politicians, professors, or people in television news. In my experience, none of those people live in the real world. The connection may be spurious, but one can never be sure.

I don't know what this "real world" is supposed to be, but I think bow ties are perfectly acceptable pieces of neckwear for regular use.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

+1

They have their place, and it is not most business environments.

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score

You left out the most well-known category of bow tie wearers -- clowns.

Gotta say, like coolpapa ... I find them to be costumey and affected. But that's just me.

Hoya

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They should definitely only be worn with a double breasted jacket or a waistcoat and I agree that they are not for business wear. But then, little that's fun to wear is.

Now I'm headed out to hang with a group of politicians, professors, and people in television news.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can't take anyone seriously who chooses names like "Cool Papa Boze" and doesn't consider any facet of life that is not his own "the real world." But maybe that's just me.

Originally Posted by Brian278

They have their place, and it is not most business environments.

I'll agree with you on that one. I don't own any bow ties, but if I did (and I wouldn't mind owning them), they wouldn't be businesswear for me.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this world there are bowtielovers and bowtiehaters. Once I can figure out how to tie one in the morning without making me late, I'll start wearing them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics