• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments Fall/Winter 07

bsyde82

Reaction score
how much are ppl layering underneath their bedfords? i just received my small from drinkwater (super fast delivery btw) and the fit is great, if not a lil snug, but the length is just where i want it. I'm just wondering if I'm wearing it tighter than most ppl - i can only see myself wearing a BD or thin sweater underneath...but definitely not a thick wool sweater or something

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not too much as far as layering, but mine is also snug with a sweater underneath and is perfect, even with the thicker Pennsylvania check cardigan.

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought the EG herringbone western shirt? I typically wear a small (maybe a slim one), and was curious how it fit/if I could fit in an XS, as small is sold out. Thanks for any help

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsyde82
how much are ppl layering underneath their bedfords? i just received my small from drinkwater (super fast delivery btw) and the fit is great, if not a lil snug, but the length is just where i want it. I'm just wondering if I'm wearing it tighter than most ppl - i can only see myself wearing a BD or thin sweater underneath...but definitely not a thick wool sweater or something

I layered up a sweater under mine today, but not a super thick one... Probably could layer it pretty thickly if I wanted to, though. That's the way I want it though, since I'v already got a good coat (Rag & Bone hunting jacket) which doesn't layer at all.

Chadley

Reaction score
Did EG make this season's hoodie in white? I can only find grey.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chadley
Did EG make this season's hoodie in white? I can only find grey.
I believe they only came out with grey, black, maroon, and pine. And regarding the Vogue article on EG, I think EG's philosophy isn't to make something that's indestructible, but something that evolves with the user. The buttons on almost everything they make will tend to fall off (many a button on the shirts have for me) and it's really up to the user to replace it with either one of the buttons inside or some other button that they like. Hence the reason for the red button at the bottom of the workshirts, as a tribute to that lost bottom button that you replace with something that isn't a perfect match.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klemins
Has anyone bought the EG herringbone western shirt? I typically wear a small (maybe a slim one), and was curious how it fit/if I could fit in an XS, as small is sold out. Thanks for any help
i can't comment on this season's western shirt, but one i have from a previous season is cut rather roomy, long across the shoulder, long sleeves and long torso. i have a medium and a small would suit me just fine. go for it!
Originally Posted by timpoblete
I believe they only came out with grey, black, maroon, and pine. And regarding the Vogue article on EG, I think EG's philosophy isn't to make something that's indestructible, but something that evolves with the user. The buttons on almost everything they make will tend to fall off (many a button on the shirts have for me) and it's really up to the user to replace it with either one of the buttons inside or some other button that they like. Hence the reason for the red button at the bottom of the workshirts, as a tribute to that lost bottom button that you replace with something that isn't a perfect match.
i could do without chasing after errant MOP buttons myself [imagine punctuation and caps]

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went up a half size (between sizes) since my bedford will be my primary NYC WINTER '08 jacket.

After about $175 of tailoring i've made it into a pretty good piece. Fits a hoodie underneath snugly; looks clean with just a shirt. shoulders fit great but upper arms are a bit wide; i'm wondering if i should change that....

DSC03644.jpg

DSC03646.jpg

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
$175 worth of tailoring? Sorry but I actually discourage my customers from buying something if I know that the alterations will cost more than 70 euros. Its like having to sew a completely different piece. Having said that, you've now gotten it exactly how you want it. That's worth it, I guess.

yeah, seriously, what did you do for $175? the only thing i'm considering at all is just to shorten the arms a bit.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in NY, taking in the back cost me about 90$, I bought water buffalo horn buttons, sleeves shortened was like $30-40 I forget, I paid 20$ for button replacement.

I don't really mind the cost; the fit is much more to my liking. It is also my mistake since I walked into one of the higher priced tailors in NYC; I wanted to try him out and ended up paying probably 50$ more than it should've cost , even by NYC prices. So yes, sticker shock was involved... The stitching etc., was superb though, and overall it's not regrettable at all considering the service I received.

I took in the chest ever so slightly as well as added some noticable waist suppression (I looked like some sort of inflatable doll before I did that), sleeves were shortened, buttons changed.

I paid: ~140 for tailoring, +tax and button costs.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The horn buttons are a noticeably nice touch. I'm planning on doing those sort of tweaks to my pieces next year.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing really interests me this season, so i'm doing buttons and tailoring as my weekly clothing expenditures. I'm putting MOP buttons on the rest of my buttonups, horn shirt buttons on casual flannels and the like; having most of my pre styleforum shirts shortened and trimmed; etcetera,.

My next wardrobe overhaul will be replacing my shirts with CEGO and Jantzen, but while I don't have the money now I still find ways to have fun with my disposable income, clothing wise.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Folks, im a little late on the winter coat front as i thought i had a coat in storage but dont.

Do you all think that the duffle coat can get through a NYC winter or is it more of an autum weight jackt. If so, is it possible to even obtain one this late. Im in NYC

Any other suggestions in wool would be appricated, tryng to find a pic of the norfolk ...

thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics