• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Narrow grip bench presses?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these the best way to work the inner pectoral muscles? I've noticed that when I flex, the outer part of my pecs (by my armpits and sides) are more built up than the inner part (where the two meet). Will doing narrow grip bench presses instead of my usual flat or incline dumbell presses help even this out a bit? Or is there another, better variation on benching for this?

Opcn

Reaction score
Muscle contractions happen along the entire length of the muscle, so I can't see this helping, also narrow grip bench presses target your triceps rather than your pectorals.

afaludi

Reaction score
im a fan of doing burnouts to work the entire pectoral muscle. 8 wide grip 8 narrow grip and 8 normal grip right after each other

Jason762

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Or is there another, better variation on benching for this?

I don't know any methods of bench presses that work the inner chest, but you can do cable flys.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jason762
I don't know any methods of bench presses that work the inner chest, but you can do cable flys.

I've watched people do a number of chest exercises with the cables. Which one are you talking about?

AdamG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Are these the best way to work the inner pectoral muscles? I've noticed that when I flex, the outer part of my pecs (by my armpits and sides) are more built up than the inner part (where the two meet). Will doing narrow grip bench presses instead of my usual flat or incline dumbell presses help even this out a bit? Or is there another, better variation on benching for this?
No such thing as inner and outer chest. Only upper and lower. Close grip bench will work your tris more and chest less. Just focus on building a bigger chest. All variations of bench (except decline, but that is my personal opinion), dips, flyes. And of course squats and deadlifts too.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
I've found the two best moves to be Kickbacks and lying 1-arm 90degree raises. Kickbacks need to be done with precision and a long squeeze at the point of contraction. Most people I see rush the **** out of this movement. 1 arm 90's are pretty simple: Lie on the bench and lift a dumbbell overhead. With your elbow pointing out, slowly lower the dumbbell across your face until a bit lower than parallel. Slowly raise back up and squeeze for a sec or two. Rinse and repeat.
No offense, but what are you talking about? This thread is about trying to work the "inner" part of the pecs...

Crow

Reaction score
Try decline press/ decline flys. I have been experiencing the same problem and decline presses mixed in with decline flys have helped quite a bit. alternately, someone once suggested to me this exercise:

u need a cable machine (http://www.elitefts.com/images/PICTU...ble-Pull-2.jpg is the machine i am talkin about, but i wouldnt know how to describe it).
have the handles at abt hip height and about shoulder length apart. stand facing away from the machine and do a chest press, but at hip level. then, while your hands are in the middle, bring up the arms to about shoulder length. slowly lower your hands back to hip height, and return to start position.

I wish I could provide pics to go along, but i hope i was descriptive enough. gl

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
I've found the two best moves to be Kickbacks and lying 1-arm 90degree raises. Kickbacks need to be done with precision and a long squeeze at the point of contraction. Most people I see rush the **** out of this movement. 1 arm 90's are pretty simple: Lie on the bench and lift a dumbbell overhead. With your elbow pointing out, slowly lower the dumbbell across your face until a bit lower than parallel. Slowly raise back up and squeeze for a sec or two. Rinse and repeat.

These look like triceps exercises.

?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
they are

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
narrow grip bench presses if done with the arms moving parallel to your body (easier) it will target your triceps. it is mostly to do this one thing.

you can do these presses like a regular bench press with the arms swinging 90 degrees to your body
but you need to watch out your wrist and the torque stress that will cause damage to the wrist when the barbell is lowered, and when you have heavier weight.

i had a bulky but defined inner chest (as well as overall chest) when i was in 20s when I did alot of old fashioned dumbbell presses.

LOTS of dumbbell presses. i never did bench , just due to the awkward physics of your arm/wrist bend since the hands are static distance (on a bar) all the way through the range of a rep.

basically, my advise is do alot of meaty exercises like dumbbell press , bench press. not the subtle tweaked sculpting exercises. you can do them , but dont concentrate on them too much
do alot of these meaty exercises for years and you will get there.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Let's try this again:

How about wide pushups? Everybody knows flys work well along with cable crossovers. If you've got access to a medicine ball you could knock out rolling side to side pushups. Those are a *****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics