• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swb120

Reaction score
Here are a few pics. While I hope they're shell cordovan, I'm not optimistic that they are.

Halloween2007090.jpg

Halloween2007092.jpg

swb120

Reaction score
Well, since I'm up, I'll post a few photos of my recent finds:

Church's wingtips, size 10D
IMG_5833.jpg

3 ties (from L to R) - Ferragamo, Brooks Bros., Brooks Bros.
IMG_5838.jpg

Oxxford suit - 42S (I think) - navy with white pinstripes
IMG_5840.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

Hickey Freeman suit - 40L - navy with light blue pinstripes
IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5848.jpg

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swb120
Here are a few pics. While I hope they're shell cordovan, I'm not optimistic that they are.

Halloween2007090.jpg

Halloween2007092.jpg

No creases to go by, and I'm no expert but the leather looks a little thin for cordovan. Still a nice find, as are the rest of the items!

mbell

Reaction score
I got a beautiful Eton shirt at Nieman Marcus Last Call outlet center for $10. The original price was $200. I've never figured out why there is the rare random item at Last Call that is priced improbably low.

I also got three Ike Behar shirts for $20 each. While the price is nothing exceptional, it was certainly nice to have a choice of colors, patterns and sizes while getting a pretty good deal. And it is enjoyable to get something new once in a while. I always want to hang on to the tags for a while.

A couple weeks ago I found a bunch of better than average Johnston and Murphy shoes at Goodwill. None were priced. I took two pair that were Italian made up to the counter and the lady said "Ooooh, those are designer, they are going to be expensive."
rolleyes.gif

She calls the manager and he says "$6.99"
Phew! I wasn't about to pay much more than that.

Several weeks back I got a very fine Lorenzini shirt, white with grey and burgundy pinstripes. $5.99.

The Settlement Home sale is coming up this weekend in Austin. The last two years I haven't had much luck, but I have done very well in the past. Must think good thoughts.
tounge.gif
If anything, it is a good source for shoe trees (50 cents), other sorts of accessories and some cheap knockaround pants and shirts.

mike

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a really nice Tuxedo (my first
bounce2.gif
) today at SA. It's a narrow shawl lapel with single short vent and flat front pants. The trimming is satin. tagged Executive Group by Bond Clothes tailored in Rochester and I'm guessing it's from the early sixties. Fits me perfect at the sleeve and the inseam (34) which is rare. Full canvas construction and lined in the upper back. The only weird part is the pants. They have a really high rise which is fine but the have only 2 buttons (4 total) on the outside of the waistband and they are about 5 inches from each other. Is that some sort of weird suspender?

Minkous

Reaction score
Picked this up at the thrift store on monday and just got it back from the dry cleaners today. I thought it to be a really solid fit, no alterations really needed. But I think its brand new, all the pockets are still sewn shut. FEEDBACK WANTED!
HART SHAFFNER & MARX
IMG_9347-1.jpg

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit is pretty good on it. I wish I could find nice sportcoats when I go thrifting!

lrooff

Reaction score
I've gotta kvell about this one... I regularly poke around the local thrift stores while taking a stroll during my lunch hour. Yesterday, I was leafing through the suits at our Humane Society thrift store and happened across a nice Oxxford Cashmere sports coat in my size (42L) in a nice black and white herringbone for the price of $4.00. The liner needs to have the basting repaired where a couple inches of stitching came loose just above the vent, but other than that, it's perfect. The frustrating thing was seeing, just next to it, four Hickey-Freeman sports coats in a 46L that were just plain too big. <sigh>

On the other hand, I also recently came across two Hickey-Freeman Boardroom suits -- 1 navy pinstripe, 1 navy windowpane -- for $15 each, perfect fit, and a medium blue Armani DB blazer for the whopping price of $2.95.

I've found that it's not too hard to find great clothing in great shape in thrift stores because (1) most men who dress well don't shop there, and (2) the people who do shop there don't seem to know the difference between Oxxford and JC Penny.

Estate sales seem to be the same way around here. Best buy at one was a nice black cashmere overcoat, NWT, for $5 a couple years ago. My boss has an identical one that he bought for $1200. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him what I'd paid for it...

lrooff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Holler at me if you would like to sell one
No, this one is a keeper. Given that I'm the lowest-paid person in the building, I've taken a perverse pride of sorts in outdressing all the attorneys in town. This one puts me waaaay over the top.
biggrin.gif

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lrooff
No, this one is a keeper. Given that I'm the lowest-paid person in the building, I've taken a perverse pride of sorts in outdressing all the attorneys in town. This one puts me waaaay over the top.
biggrin.gif

There ya go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads