• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

casanova

Reaction score
SoCal2NYC;739493 said:
On another forum somone, in reference to Breguet and their Marketing (Dumas/Count of Monte Christo advertising), someone said:

"Breguet and Blancpain are probably among the brands with the highest hype factors. Taking away the marketing fluff, they are excellent watch companies that rely almost exclusively on movements they did not design (even if their corporate group now owns the companies that designed the movements). I do not consider their stated histories to be continuous enough to be worthy of respect; however, if one is to evaluate them based on their supposed histories, each has long periods of mediocre to poor quality for which to answer. Several companies (including Patek, Vacheron and Audemars) really have never had mediocre periods, and their histories are real. "

I wouldn't say (in regards to LK) that there is an aversion to them for being "dressy"; but, much of the look doesn't seem very modern and recalls, as said, the look of a very old pocket watch or Grandfather clock.
Thing is, all that continuity and credibility doesn't really matter unless you're a real watch buff. I'm not. I just want a watch that's good quality, that suits my tastes, and, to be honest, appeals to my inner snob.

The fact that Dumas referenced them does rather tickle my fancy. Maybe that makes me an impressionable so-and-so, but I'm ok with that.

I posted to see if there was some dark secret I was unaware of, like they're really timex watches inside, or they use freshly juiced new-born babies to polish the mechanism. Seems the coast is clear on that count.

Thanks for the input though. Much appreciated.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'll admit it to. I love the ad with the Dumas quote and it's made me want one. But, like I said the only model I like is the Marine on the rubber strap.

The only negative thing (if you'll call it that) is they are owned by Swatch.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that Breguet watches aren't more popular due to the relatively high price and their somewhat antique look.

I like a lot of them but couldn't see wearing one even though I wear a suit and tie 5-6 days a week.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Breguet No.5 is the most beautiful timepiece ever made IMO

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
vette3.jpg

Yer tags are expired, dude.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the love of God, please stop quoting this picture. Please.....

bcate3

Reaction score
casanova;739597 said:
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

Thing is, all that continuity and credibility doesn't really matter unless you're a real watch buff. I'm not. I just want a watch that's good quality, that suits my tastes, and, to be honest, appeals to my inner snob.

The fact that Dumas referenced them does rather tickle my fancy. Maybe that makes me an impressionable so-and-so, but I'm ok with that.

I posted to see if there was some dark secret I was unaware of, like they're really timex watches inside, or they use freshly juiced new-born babies to polish the mechanism. Seems the coast is clear on that count.

A Brequet should meet your stated criteria.

I'm not familiar with the ad containing the Dumas quote but Socal's referenced quote is spot on. The Breguet of today isn't the company of Abraham Louis Breguet. Yet, Swatch's strategy to compete with PP, AP & the Richemont offerings has led it to market an image that today's Breguet has a heritage and history of unimpeachable quality that rivals its competitors. Breguet is not alone in its marketing strategy. Still, it doesn't excuse them for undercutting one of the fun things about the watch owning experience which is to talk about the model's history, if it has one, or the story behind its design and purpose. I'd feel like a phony or arriviste praising my modern Breguet by quoting Dumas or claiming some direct lineage to its past.

That said, Breguet sells high quality pieces with a distinctive aesthetic. It's not for me but I do admire the touches like the pommes hands & guilloche found in most (all?) models. They even work on the diver model which I find strangely attractive.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
That said, Breguet sells high quality pieces with a distinctive aesthetic. It’s not for me but I do admire the touches like the pommes hands & guilloche found in most (all?) models. They even work on the diver model which I find strangely attractive.

It's just odd to so directly apply the styling of late 18th century pocketwatches to modern wristwatches, as if wristwatches themselves have not evolved over the past hundred years. If Breguet had continued to produce watches in any meaningful quantity over the years, my guess is that their watches would like quite a bit different.

My favorite current Breguet is the Type XX; at least it resembles a wristwatch Breguet that actually produced.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
crackup[1].gif

i can't resist. Looks from the dial and the crown guard that Homes is wearing a panerai. but the case looks rounder than panny's signature cushion shape.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Their claims to heritage:

"Danglars' watch, a masterpiece by Breguet which he had rewound with care before setting out the previous day chimed half past fived in the morning."--Alexandre Dumas "The Count of Monte Cristo" 1845

"He drew out the most delicious thin watch that Breguet had ever made. 'Fancy, it is eleven o'clock, I was up early.'" Honore de Balzac "Eugenie Grandet" 1833

"A dandy on the boulevards...strolling at leisure until his Breguet, ever vigiliant, reminds him it is middday." Alexander Pushkin, "Eugene Onegin" 1829

"At times the heart plays tricks and lets us down. The vigilant are right. For God (the mighty Breguet) gave us faith, and seeing it was good, improved it with a Watchful eye." Victor Hugo "Songs of the Streets and Woods" 1865

They basically have a historical looking ad with those quotes in it.

They also then talk about how Marie Antoinette commissioned Breguet to create a watch with every complication known to man, the No. 160.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads