• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To all you German speaking forum members out there

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hanseat
Talking about the Hasselhof-phenomenon there's even an article on the "Germany Survival Bible" on Spiegel Online:

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...407072,00.html

There are tons of other very funny anectodetes about Germany- so if you have the time, it's fun to read through some of them.

Cool site, I don't have time to read it all, but many stories (and myths) sound familiar.

Siggy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Fabienne!

Hanseat, klar! Ich hab dir geschrieben.

Hanseat

Reaction score
We just got a notice from our "Bezirksschornsteinfegermeister" (district master chimney sweeper). Remembered me of that thread.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's been noted that Germans are a notoriously sentimental people.

Oh, yeah...
sarcasm.gif

Jon.

ccffm1

Reaction score
We just got a notice from our "Bezirksschornsteinfegermeister" (district master chimney sweeper). Remembered me of that thread.

Did he bring along his Bezirksschornsteinfegermeistersteigleiter?

Hanseat

Reaction score
Nope, not that I'd know. He just came to check the emissions of our boiler and main heat unit. Government mandates it, so you can make good money as a chimney sweeper around here (because you tell people they have to replace XYZ due to new emission standards).
He came at seven in the morning though, which is rather unpleasant when you don't have to get up anytime soon.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's been noted that Germans are a notoriously sentimental people.

I second that.

Hanseat

Reaction score
I could sit here all day thinking about the past... then again we know about history as opposed to most americans I've talked to (AP US History 5 points; AP US and Comp. Government 5 points). But we had a bit of learning from our history to do... I guess it's just in our genes
laugh.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw, Hanseat, thank you for that link! Very entertaining
smile.gif

muelleran

Reaction score
Germans are a romantic people - romanticism knows no moderation.
I could sit here all day thinking about the past... then again we know about history as opposed to most americans I've talked to (AP US History 5 points; AP US and Comp. Government 5 points). But we had a bit of learning from our history to do... I guess it's just in our genes
laugh.gif

teacha.gif
Well it certainly has a bit to do with history if you look at it: Start out with one of the greater German contributions, the reformation, causing uprisings that Luther himself did not even anticipate. The Uprisings were brutally put down. The spread of the reformation and the restoration that followed caused a shift in the power balance in Germany that was one of the reasons for the greatest catastrophe in German history, the 30 year war(1618-1648), that devastated large parts of the country. Looting armies and the plague that followed them elliminated about 20% of the population - the village my parents live in had a population of 200 before the war and a population of 20 after the war, some parts of the country were void of a population for some time afterwards. Since the war was not won by any party, Germany could not develop into a nation-state as France and England did, the loose federation of German states became ever weaker and after the French revolution could not defend itself. So the French eventually did away with the Reich (the first Reich) and Napoleon established a system af alliances with local rulers in western Germany. That time marks the beginning of German nationalism. However, these were also the times of Goethe, and especially Schiller, so after the defeat of Napoleon, and after once again a period of restoration, the ideas of the French revolution stayed. This eventually led to another failed revolution, in 1848, followed by yet another restoration that caused the population to withdraw into privacy (Biedermeier). The ideas of the enlighment were pushed back in Germany as a result, replaced by a more romantic view of the world, less based on thinking or studying and more on feeling and experiencing, feeling sentimental one could say. Eventually Prussia dominated Germany and a new Reich (the second one) could be established. (The by now well established idea of nationalism prevented the multi-ethnic Austria to be included). We are now in 1871, France was just defeated by Prussia. The establishment of the 2nd Reich, however, lead to a power shift in Europe: Suddenly a united German empire comes into play. As European leaders tried to balance it out by a system of alliances an enourmously complicated system evolved. (the time of Bismarck's Realpolitik that oddly enough G.W. Bush became interested in lately.) That system of alliances of course turned the ethnic uprisings in the Austro-Ungarian Empire into WW I, as suddely a chain reaction of declarations of war was triggered. I don't see Germany as the country that started it, I suppose the decision to attack France quickly was seen as dictated by the geographic position of Germany: The war will come anyway, if Germany wants to win she has to attack (move to Paris with all forces, then shift to the east and repell the attacking Russians - a plan that was drawn up well before the war (Schliefen Plan)). Did not work, Germans lost their nerve when the Russians indeed did attack in the east and moved forces to the east prematurely. Also the meaning of new weapon technology on the battlefield was misinterpreted (no, you cannot use mashine guns to just mow down defending troops). After WW I we have two revolutions at the same time, finally a democracy, but also huge inflation, the revenge of the victors, a democracy that most people despise - western liberal ideas (of the victors) don't have much of a foothold in the general population so again it is these romantic, illogical, sentimental, ideas that take hold. You all know what followed then: the celebration of that mystical, sentimental aspect, this time modernised and disguised as science, excecuted without moderation, there is no place for moderation in mystical romaticism. To make a long story short I believe Germans are a sentimental people because - The 30 year war halted political progress and political unity in Germany - The political ideas of the French revolution were supressed after the defeat of Napoleon and replaced by romanticism. - Germany was either too weak or too strong most of the time and as a result Germans never feel secure. - A united Germany rarely happens - Most revolutions, most attempts of the population to gain freedom, failed. - an enlighned view of the world is sometimes seen as superficial, not connected to the knowledge of a mystical depth (little example to German students: "Die Amerikanischen Studenten lernen ja nur anwendungsbezogenes Wissen - in Deutschland bohren wir dickere Bretter.....") It's a refuge: picture members of the old Germanic tribes sitting in the woods at night, in touch with their pagan gods, tourches light the clearing, Wagner music in the background, mourning the death of their king. That feeling, I believe, is indeed in our genes.
teacha.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by muelleran
That feeling, I believe, is indeed in our genes.

teacha.gif

I don't believe it is in the genes, but I think that it is deeply ingrained in the very material of the culture. I have been to hundreds of small german festivals and celebrations, as well as a dozen or so big ones, and spent quite a bit of time in differnt parts of germany (as well as living there for a while), it seems to me that there is definatly something mystical in the culture.

Reaction score
decisions.gif

ok the german wine riesling müller thurgau domina usw its ok but dangerous,for the next day .
my location is würzburg in germany a winetwown,so i can help you for questions and anything.
i have good adresses for wine and winzers (the winemakers )
lovley greets from unterfranken

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tarotsternchen
decisions.gif

ok the german wine riesling müller thurgau domina usw its ok but dangerous,for the next day .
my location is würzburg in germany a winetwown,so i can help you for questions and anything.
i have good adresses for wine and winzers (the winemakers )
lovley greets from unterfranken

Was soll das, eigentlich? Diese komische Meldung vom Astro-Hotline-genannter Würzburgerin laesst sich entweder als wahnungslose Necroposting oder einfacher Spam gelesen werden.

Dieser Diskussionsfaden ist nicht mehr auf dem Laufenden, tarotsternchen. Bitte beachten sie den Zeitstempel!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads