• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business cards

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I get some envy educing cards made in LA? Kinkos don't cut it. I want someone to want to kill me in the bathroom when I hand them a card with my info.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Where can I get some envy educing cards made in LA? Kinkos don't cut it. I want someone to want to kill me in the bathroom when I hand them a card with my info.
I'm looking into www.psprint.com as some friends of mine got decent ones made there.

carlhuber

Reaction score
Clearly you folks ignored my post about working with an actual graphic designer. Note I didn't say work with a print shop. I said work with a designer. We have stock libraries of thousands of fonts. And we know how to use them. (I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it?) Helvetica and futura are crap - they look like everyone else's fonts - because they are everybody else's fonts. Chances are if you've heard of it...it's boring.

casanova

Reaction score
haha

I should really have read the thread first. I see that ground's been covered already.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlhuber
Clearly you folks ignored my post about working with an actual graphic designer. Note I didn't say work with a print shop. I said work with a designer.

We have stock libraries of thousands of fonts. And we know how to use them. (I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it?) Helvetica and futura are crap - they look like everyone else's fonts - because they are everybody else's fonts. Chances are if you've heard of it...it's boring.

I read it. I just don't want to pay someone more than I have to for a calling card that someone will think I am a serial killer for giving them.

A designer is good, but luckily I have design-y friends. You can still work with a designer and then get it printed elsewhere.

Rani

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I read it. I just don't want to pay someone more than I have to for a calling card that someone will think I am a serial killer for giving them.

A designer is good, but luckily I have design-y friends. You can still work with a designer and then get it printed elsewhere.

So long as your friends are actual graphic designers then it should be fine. The only concern would be if they were in adjacent fields like photography or multi-media. In those cases you would have slim to no chance of them understanding typography. Although if a calling card isn't really going to be that important to you then it would not be the biggest of concerns. Best of luck.
wink.gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlhuber
Clearly you folks ignored my post about working with an actual graphic designer. Note I didn't say work with a print shop. I said work with a designer.

We have stock libraries of thousands of fonts. And we know how to use them. (I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it?) Helvetica and futura are crap - they look like everyone else's fonts - because they are everybody else's fonts. Chances are if you've heard of it...it's boring.

Yes, but how much 6-point type do you really need?

devil.gif

Branding and identity are some of the weirdest things to pay for - especially a new company. Always loved and hated it. Loved it as an expression of the company's soul and hated it as though it might be like a photograph that somehow fixes and steals that soul.

Jdeansmith11

Reaction score
My old business card used to say "Life Conoisseur," now it says "Panda Extraordinaire"

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking to do actual printed business cards now, with texture and all that. Unfortunately vistaprint won't cut it. Suggestions?

Again, I'm looking for texture. Cost isn't that big of an issue, but it's still a little bit of an issue.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a brick and mortar for my calling cards, which are blind embossed and engraved. http://www.bradleyengraved.com/ This is a real printer/letterpress shop. They can do whatever you want. I thought the service was very good.My cards were pretty expensive because of the emboss die, but refills are reasonable. I forget how much.

~ H

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went to a place that carries Crane's. This was the font (from the "Executive Flat Card"). I put just my name in the center of the card, with office address plus e=mail (3 lines) in lower left and phone/fax (2 lines) in lower right. Black ink on off-white card.

I decided to keep things clean and uncluttered, as there would be fewer mistakes to regret later. Since I haven't bothered to get a firm name, this format has worked very well. At least one Asian contact I've given it to has praised its directness and simplicity. Not that it's made any other sort of difference one way or another. Perhaps it was the local passive-aggressive code for "douchebag alert."

Last edited:

daveteller

Reaction score
Creating a business card depends on the type of business that you have and the type of audience you want to attract. I decided to create a simple design business cards, using with only the most basic information such as: logo, contact information and basic hints about my business. For me it is essential that business card is informative and contains all the important information and less content.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads