• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbes Tie Rankings

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Smith ties used to be great, when they were manufactured in england. Now that they are made in Italy by some probably big tie factory, their design is uninspiring, and the quality is down. Just like everything by Paul Smith in the PS or London lines, by the way.

Luc

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Manton, I've been wondering what ties hang in your closet. Obviously Marinella, Drake's and Charles Hill. What are the Manton Tie Rankings?
Yeah, manton -- do you have any RJ?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(AlanC @ Mar. 29 2005,05:59) Manton, I've been wondering what ties hang in your closet. Obviously Marinella, Drake's and Charles Hill. What are the Manton Tie Rankings?
Yeah, manton -- do you have any RJ?
I'm Rick James, *****. (yeah, I know that has nothing to do with shirts, I just wanted to say it) Jon.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No RJ.

Nicky outnumbers all the others.  My favorite make.  Not a 7 or double-4 in the bunch, but their "standard" construction is really great.  Perfect, asymetrical four-in-hand knot.  Great length, great width (on the wide side, but never more than 4").  Nicky specializes in wovens, and theirs are the best, in my opinion.  The golden mean between too garish and too boring.

I like Drake's and Marinella for prints.  I have a handful of each.  Also some (two, I think) Marinella wovens and one Marinella repp.  At least one Drake's woven, which I love.

Charles Hill makes a great woven tie -- more subtle than T&A, which is too eye-poppingly "colorful" for me.  But on the narrow side.

I have two (I think) Kiton 7-folds, got at tremendous discounts.  They are subtle for Kiton.  I see their quality, but don't like the styling enough to chase after them.

I have one RL PL tie which I absolutely love.  It's at least 7 years old, and made in England.  (Does that mean it's T&A?)  It's got a good width, and makes a perfect knot.

And then I have a lot of random ties picked up here and there.  Some department store private labels, some really old Flusser ties, some Ben Silver, N&L, various Jermyn Street ties, etc.  Of these, I have at most one or two each.

cuffthis

Reaction score
I have 2 (older) Charvet ties. The styles and woven silks are not my favorite patterns, but they provide the most beautiful dimples and knots.

Simple devine.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I have three Charvets, too. Two woven, one printed. Nice ties, not my favorite. I generally find Charvet wovens to be too "shimmery" or "iridescent" for my taste. Mine aren't, though. I deliberately picked more low-key examples. One of them knots well, but one (the one I like better, alas) doesn't.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Maybe we should do our own ranking, and send it off to Forbes.. My faves: 1. Enrico Isaia (I know- they don't make them anymore, but I'd put Gianluca's up there too- maybe #5 after Nicky's) 2. Robert Talbott 3. Borrelli 4. Nicky's 5. Kiton (because they vary widths and I don't like narrow ties) 6. XMI Platinum 7. Brioni/Santo Stefano/Italo Ferretti (all made by same maker, I believe) 8. Armani Classico and Zegna (tie
smile.gif
- Zegna used to be much better IMO) 9. Charvet 10. Stefano Ricci I haven't mentioned Duchamp or T&A- love the designs, too narrow. Also haven't mentioned Marinella, Carlo Franco, FIH, Breuer, Drake's, Carrot and Gibbs, or Garrick Anderson because I don't own any...YET...
devil.gif

arenn1

Reaction score
Someone asked about Lee Allison. This is a small tie maker based in Chicago. You can find him on the web at www.leeallison.com. I have never seen one of his ties in person, but I know he has some level of distribution locally. I once read that Neiman's carried him, for example.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Stopped by Plain Clothes in Homewood (ie, Birmingham) today, and they had the new season's Nicky's out--wow.. Just amazing all the way around. Alas, they were $145 each, I believe.

Also impressive was their offering of Roda ties--anyone familiar with them? Italian made, but of English silk woven on antique looms and using designs from 1930s. Very classic and vibrant.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Also impressive was their offering of Roda ties--anyone familiar with them? Italian made, but of English silk woven on antique looms and using designs from 1930s. Very classic and vibrant.
I had forgotten about these. Very good ties. Almost Nicky quality.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's from 2 1/2 years ago. let sleeping threads like - don't be bowtieguy.
Originally Posted by felixb
I keep getting an error message when I click on this

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's from 2 1/2 years ago. let sleeping threads lie - don't be bowtieguy.
Originally Posted by felixb
I keep getting an error message when I click on this

felixb

Reaction score
Who's bowtieguy?

Originally Posted by letmebefell
it's from 2 1/2 years ago. let sleeping threads lie - don't be bowtieguy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads