• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I shorten this coat?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nope - its fine as is. Its an overcoat and not a top coat, so its meant to be longer.

Looks good btw. Can you please id the fabric?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think there's a right answer. It looks to me like it fits the way it was designed to. The question is whether that's the way you want it.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Anywhere between a few inches below the knee up to mid-calf (maximum length IMO). I would personelly cut it to half-way between knee and calf

Something like this seems like the right proportions IMO:

holdfast_coat_2.jpg

That looks really short to my eye and quite top heavy... hmm. This is tricky.

Originally Posted by Douglas
I personally prefer longer coats; the shorter coats that seem to be in right now look unnecessarily abbreviated to me.

That said, I think a truly long coat should be a solid navy and should have a very high top button placement... more like a St. Petersburg kind of look. I do think this coat looks a *touch* long given the pattern and style of the coat. I'd shorten it by 2-3 inches.

This seems to me the compromise decision, doesn't it.

Don't shorten it too much... you might throw off the balance of those mighty lapels.
Yep, that's what concerned me a little

I LOVE the coat, it's fantastic.

If you're still torn by the decision, I think you should ask Optimus Prime's opinion.
Thanks, but he's too busy fighting Megatron next to him to help...

megs006en5.jpg

(I'm never going to grow up...)

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I think gdl's suggestion looks about right.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Keep it this length and love it, or move it.

Originally Posted by grimslade
I don't think there's a right answer. It looks to me like it fits the way it was designed to. The question is whether that's the way you want it.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

Ah, but that's the problem, I'm in two minds.

Like most people in two minds, I'm sure I actually know the answer deep down... but I just can't find it. You're right though... I should probably seek a Freudian blank slate rather than seeking opinions. But opinions are so much easier to gather.
colgate.gif

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Nope - its fine as is. Its an overcoat and not a top coat, so its meant to be longer.

Looks good btw. Can you please id the fabric?

It's RTW from RLPL so I can't tell you the weaver. The composition is 75% wool, 25% angora and it's a quite heavy cloth. I've no idea where Ralph sources his fabrics from, but I really like this one.

kcc

Reaction score
Holdfast:

Wow! That's one of the most incredible great coats I've ever seen. Were I to shorten it's length, it wouldn't be by much. Perhaps, no shorter than the mid-point of your shin would be a reasonable modification.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Will shortening it cause problems for a vent?

edit. Nevermind, the vent is LONG.

Yes, the vent shouldn't cause a problem... as you say it's very long. Everything about the coat is very stylised like that. Some would say over-stylised and almost into pastiche. But I think it just stays the right side of tasteful. Unusual & exciting certainly.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say keep it as it is. That is a pretty "dramatic" coat by design, and the length is all part of that design. Beautiful coat.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question that no one has asked (including myself) before commenting is how tall Holdfast is.

On a tall person, sure this coat would look great, but at the current length on someone shorter, it'd look like a kid wearing his father's overcoat.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
The question that no one has asked (including myself) before commenting is how tall Holdfast is.
Why ask the question when you can just look at the picture?
confused.gif

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Keep it. I like the sense of occasion and drama that long coats bring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads