• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Are you getting the Marine??
Yes - but "Marine Original, please make a deposit of 50 EUR. Watches will ship end middle of november 2007."
frown.gif

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Are you guys familiar with Seiko Spring Drives? Why are they so expensive? They aren't Grand Seikos are they?

Just like a Lexus, a fancy Toyota..

Sure the finish is impecable, the movt has one awards, & we know it will be extremely accurate.. But, it just doesn't have any emotion..

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Yes - but

"Marine Original, please make a deposit of 50 EUR. Watches will ship end middle of november 2007."

frown.gif

So if it ships 11/15 you will have it 11/17.

You've made a very good choice though. I can't stop looking at mine.

ENT

Reaction score
You've made a very good choice though. I can't stop looking at mine.

SoCal, I know you got the Ikarus and not the standard Airman, but did you consider a Sinn as well? I've been debating between a Sinn 656 and the Stowa Airman for quite a while now and am leaning toward the Sinn. I'd love to hear what led you to the Stowa.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes directly from Stowa. As far as I know the only authorized US retailer is WatchBuys.com and I think they just have the diver.

I flipping love it. Great presentation, the movement looks great, the finishing and the case seem more "authentic" for a German pilot's watch than say the IWC Big Pilot or Glashutte Senator Navigator.

Are you getting the Marine??

SoCal- Does it have a pretty good weight to it?

EdenResident

Reaction score
This is probably a long shot but anyway, would you guys recommend a small dress watch for me? I have a tiny wrist (6.25") so it should be 35-37mm (or maybe 38 since some watches fit smaller than their size). I prefer strap, white/silver dial and polished bezel. The Lange 1815 Chrono is the style I'm looking for.
478063a5-faba-4083-899e-b521d3341a33.jpg

or the Langematik Perpeptual
e4af2907-42ae-4bed-ae27-2ac265065cc9.jpg

Of course, I can't afford either
biggrin.gif
My budget is up to about 5K (but I can shell out some extra cash if need be). The closest watch I can find is the 1815 Up and Down but it's still out of my price range.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Several reasons I guess. I love grey and will probably go on trying to amass a collection of grey watches over the course of my life.
I also liked being able to buy it directly from Stowa.
I think the Sinn 646 looks great in the black face/case/brac; but, if I were going to buy something that had such an altimiter looking feel I would buy a Bell & Ross for $700 more.
http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/vi...&idproduct=353
I also liked that the Ikarus was pilot inspired over more of a replica looking piece like the IWC Big Pilot or Glashutte Orginal Senator Navigator.
The Sinn I want is the 144 GMT Air Cargo they made for Lufthansa that I posted earlier. The Regulateur is also nice.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
If you like AL&S styling look at the Glashutte Orginal Pano pieces. I think you can grey market or Timezone.com Sales Corner one for $5000-6500. The diameter I believe is 38-39.

Actually the Glashutte Orginal Senator Chrono is similar to the first Lange and the MSRP is $6800...you could grey market or 2nd hand one for much cheaper. Don't know the mm off the top of my head.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like German everything for mechanical things, but I am not a fan of German watches most of the time.

And given the current taste for white gold and stainless steel, their industrial nature becomes too overwhelming.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
SoCal- Does it have a pretty good weight to it?

The band is pretty light weight; but, I just took it off my wrist and lobbing it on the tip of my fingers it does have a good weight to it. Doesn't feel light/cheap/hollow which of course is a concern when buying something online.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
Just like a Lexus, a fancy Toyota..

Sure the finish is impecable, the movt has one awards, & we know it will be extremely accurate.. But, it just doesn't have any emotion..

My sentiments exactly. It's technically fantastic, and the finishing is top notch, but it makes me feel nothing.

Jon.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
This is probably a long shot but anyway, would you guys recommend a small dress watch for me? I have a tiny wrist (6.25") so it should be 35-37mm (or maybe 38 since some watches fit smaller than their size). I prefer strap, white/silver dial and polished bezel. The Lange 1815 Chrono is the style I'm looking for.
478063a5-faba-4083-899e-b521d3341a33.jpg

or the Langematik Perpeptual
e4af2907-42ae-4bed-ae27-2ac265065cc9.jpg

Of course, I can't afford either
biggrin.gif
My budget is up to about 5K (but I can shell out some extra cash if need be). The closest watch I can find is the 1815 Up and Down but it's still out of my price range.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=3215596&rid=0

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=3220674&rid=0

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=3200812&rid=0

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=3208151&rid=0

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=3220148&rid=0

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=3216330&rid=0

EdenResident

Reaction score
Thanks, SoCal. I'll check them out. Also, just to clarify, it doesn't have to be German. I like some of the IWCs, too. Too bad most of them are 39mm or larger.
6963753b-ddfb-438a-8b71-d7d509771c56.jpg
07fad9d1-2ef9-4259-acbf-c72a8fb61564.jpg
Having a small wrist sucks.
frown.gif

ENT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
Thanks, SoCal. I'll check them out.

Also, just to clarify, it doesn't have to be German. I like some of the IWCs, too. Too bad most of them are 39mm or larger.

Having a small wrist sucks.
frown.gif

I have a small wrist (6.75 inches) too but find that 39 and 40 mm watches look fine as long as they're the right shape. For instance, the IWC Mark VI Pilot (I believe 39 mm) looks great.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
It is really hard to picture what they might look like on your size wrist...I'm about a 7.5" and I would say that up to a 40-42mm case doesn't look obscenely out of place.

Nice calls on the IWC...it's Swiss...but, Swiss-German.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads