• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last button undone on working buttonholes...

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I think I meant to reply to the same person you replied to. And I've had three cups today...

That be me! I only qualified the original posters query. Just some sage advice from someone who's been there, done that. Have another cup and read my post again.

Ye Old Hippie,

Gary

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
In Italy, men can wear a sleeve button undone and look dashing.
I just noticed I have an Italian classmate who does in fact leave his sleeve buttons undone. (Never saw him in a sport coat before.)

martan

Reaction score
Those of you who leave one unbuttoned....honestly, don't you do it so others know you have a working buttonhole? Isn't that the truth? As for the other Agnelli affectations mentioned, aren't they silly when they are planned? It is one thing to have the back end of the tie longer because you are actually nonchalant in how you tie your tie. But, again, the actuality is usually the opposite, instead of being nonchalant, it is the product of planning. It is not much different than teenagers spending half an hour getting their hair to look authentically messy.

Of course, we should all do what we like. I happen to like having the buttons buttoned.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Not a problem for me. I don't see it as pretentious at all. I figure if someone has paid the extra $$$ for this feature, they're entitled to show it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I leave at least one button undone. I think it echoes the way you button up the jacket.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I may be in the minority but I don't care for this practice. I think its pretentious and vulgar.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I leave at least one button undone. I think it echoes the way you button up the jacket.

Does that mean you don't button your single-button coats?
satisfied.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
Does that mean you don't button your single-button coats?
satisfied.gif

Hmm. You raise an interesting point. Perhaps I should order my jackets made with only one sleeve button from now on . . .

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is that even if you have fully working cuffs, you never undo them to take your jacket off. Therefore, there's not really any such thing as "leaving one undone"- what you're actually doing is unbuttoning one, which is an affectation.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
Sometimes one, sometimes two, sometimes one on one side, two on the other, sometimes two on one side and one on another. So yes, all the ******* time, infact, I try and go through all the permutations I can!

This raises an interesting mathematical question:

If a StyleForum member wearing a sports jacket with four functioning button holes on each sleeve is traveling on a 11:14am southbound train from Rome and can try one combination of buttoned and unbuttoned button holes every 12 minutes, which of the following will NOT occur before he has achieved all possible combinations of buttoned and unbuttoned holes?

- The train passes the Isaia factory in Naples.

- Eric Glennie files a new collar patent.

- A troll flames a StyleForum thread.

- The Italian transit workers union goes on strike.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
. . . there's not really any such thing as "leaving one undone"- what you're actually doing is unbuttoning one, which is an affectation.

As is wearing a pocket square. In my opinion, whether something is an affectation has much more to do with the attitude with which it's done.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several coats with working buttonholes and leave one undone on all. And, I don't really care if anyone thinks it's an affectation. It's as much an affectation as any other style choice made by any other SFer. For example, an argument could be made that it's an affectation to insist on a fully canvassed suit or EG shoes or Lobbs or Vass or Borrelli shirts or ... well, I think you see my point. It's really a style choice. And, this is the Styleforum.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a difference between wearing an accessory or choosing a certain type of construction and undoing buttons. Does anyone leave his shirtcuffs unbuttoned or pop open one of the placket buttons with a tie?

What makes it an affectation, to my mind, is the fact that it doesn't change the visual effect of the outfit in any way, and that it doesn't follow from the normal process of getting dressed- it requires a special effort.

Also, doesn't it strike anyone as curious that the only buttons anyone ever intentionally unbuttons, except for the collar, are the jacket sleeve buttons which until recently were found only on better makes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads