• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Had these for a bit, had a free moment and decided to, well, share:

Dimitri "Bottier" Gomez water buffalo 2-eyelet derbies:

buffle1jd7.jpg
buffle2zc8.jpg

As he suggested, one side of the waist is bevelled, the other square:

buffle3ue1.jpg

Green Harrows patinated by Anthony Delos (OK, I need to give them a quick shine as I wore them after):

greenpatineve0.jpg

Shagreen folding travel picture frame from Aubercy:

shagfoldedel1.jpg

shagfullcj8.jpg

shagopenfl2.jpg

Russia Calf belt -- from a Canadian website which has some Russia Calf accessories. I had a silver buckle put on it from buckleandhide.co.uk:

imgp0726vp5.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Interesting shoes RJ - are those green in color or is my monitor screwing up again? What do you plan to wear these with?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They are dark green. I wear them with whatever I like, generally casual clothes.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Interesting shoes RJ - are those green in color or is my monitor screwing up again? What do you plan to wear these with?

I agree and have something of the elephant hide nature/tough look without the ugliness.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
They are dark green. I wear them with whatever I like, generally casual clothes.

Thanks - can you please comment on the leather. How tough and heavy is it? I'm assuming its used primarily in country shoes?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks - can you please comment on the leather. How tough and heavy is it? I'm assuming its used primarily in country shoes?

It seems pretty tough. According to a New Yorker article years ago, a certain luggage maker in the early part of the 20th century used to make trunks out of it for durability.

It doesn't seem much heavier than a comparable country calfskin. I don't know if there's a "primary" use for water buffalo shoes as it's not that frequently seen in shoes, but I suppose it would be for casual or country wear.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It seems pretty tough. According to a New Yorker article years ago, a certain luggage maker in the early part of the 20th century used to make trunks out of it for durability.

It doesn't seem much heavier than a comparable country calfskin. I don't know if there's a "primary" use for water buffalo shoes as it's not that frequently seen in shoes, but I suppose it would be for casual or country wear.

Thank you - enjoy them. I visited Dimitri just once and was very impressed with what I saw.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Russia Calf belt -- from a Canadian website which has some Russia Calf accessories. I had a silver buckle put on it from buckleandhide.co.uk:

imgp0726vp5.jpg

Which website is that? I like the buckle as well.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this belt made of some special leather available only in Russia? It looks to me like a fairly regular leather belt...puzzled.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Is this belt made of some special leather available only in Russia? It looks to me like a fairly regular leather belt...puzzled.

lurker[1].gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz

I think its the famous 1786 Russian Reindeer. I am having a pair of shoes made with the same.

juniper

Reaction score
I think its the famous 1786 Russian Reindeer. I have a pair of shoes made with the same.

Pic? I've only seen the catalogue pictures at New & Lingwood.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Which website is that?

+1, Free the web
laugh.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
Pic? I've only seen the catalogue pictures at New & Lingwood.

Sorry - correction made. I am having a pair made with the reindeer leather - eta is January 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads