• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business cards

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's basically the equivalent as asking someone what astrological sign they are, and then judging what type of person they are from the response. (I.E. Leos love being the center of attention, and are good leaders. They can also be egotists... RAWR.) The Japanese think that blood type tell alot about personality, and they take it very seriously. In some rare occasions, you may be doing business with a person, and he or she will find out that you are not of compatible blood types, and then someone else who's blood type compliments yours will take over for him or her in the negotiations. Or you may have a better chance with scoring chicks in a bar if you have compatible blood types...
You're f**kin' kidding, right? Â That would be such a great line.
It does open a whole new field of pickup lines. "Hey Babe...B positive with me." etc... Or some other catchy lines with the universal types... Also room for fraud. You know. Have a different business card for every type possible. Interesting. JJF

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I happen to be an "O" AND a Leo, if anyone puts any weight into that kind of thing.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back up, as I am considering getting some business cards made and was checking into how they might go over in Japan... Here is a short primer on Japanese meishi (business card) etiquette. Helpful tip: Do not pick your teeth with another person's card. Edit: More Japanese Business Card etiquette

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Blood type is important in some circles in Japan. A currently airing television program has celebrities divided by blood type taking various tests...("AB's are much better at finding their way in the woods.  O's don't like spicy food. A's and O's can't cooperate on the scavenger hunt...")

But in 12 years of doing business with Japanese/in Japan, I've never seen anyone put blood type on a business card/resume, or heard of any business deal falling apart due to the blood type of the people involved.  The topic does come up in small talk though, particularly with women, who seem to place great stock in it.

I'd urge professionals considering doing business in Japan to refrain from putting their blood type on their cards, or putting too much emphasis on it unless they are dealing primarily with (young) women.

Bic

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The classiest is one where your name (and only your name) appears in black type, centered horizontally and vertically.

Reaching into your suit pocket for your pen and writing your phone number on your card before handing it to someone can be very charming.
This isn't a business card, it's a social card.  Though I agree that the charm is there.

Edit: sorry, someone earlier in this thread mentioned this.

rsp1

Reaction score
PRICE
(Suddenly enthused)
What's that, a gram?

BATEMAN
New card. What do you think?

McDermott lifts it up and examines the lettering carefully.

McDERMOTT
Whoa. Very nice. Take a look.

He hands it to Van Patten.

BATEMAN
Picked them up from the printers yesterday

VAN PATTEN
Good coloring.

BATEMAN
That's bone. And the lettering is something called
Silian Rail.

McDERMOTT
(Envious)
Silian Rail?

VAN PATTEN
It is very cool, Bateman. But that's nothing.

He pulls a card out of his wallet and slaps it on the
table.

VAN PATTEN
Look at this.

They all lean forward to inspect it.

PRICE
That's really nice.

Bateman clenches his fists beneath the table, trying to
control his anxiety.

VAN PATTEN
Eggshell with Romalian type.
(Turning to Bateman)
What do you think?

BATEMAN
(Barely able to breath, his voice a croak)
Nice.

PRICE
(Holding the card up to the light)
Jesus. This is really super. How'd a nitwit like you get so
tasteful?

Bateman stares at his own card and then enviously at
McDermott's.

BATEMAN (V.O.)
I can't believe that Price prefers McDermott's card to mine.

PRICE
But wait. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

He holds up his own card.

PRICE
Raised lettering, pale nimbus white...

BATEMAN
(Choking with anxiety)
Impressive. Very nice. Let's see Paul Owen's card.

Price pulls a card from an inside coat pocket and holds it
up for their inspection: "PAUL OWEN, PIERCE & PIERCE,
MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS." Bateman swallows, speechless.
The sound in the room dies down and all we hear is a faint
heartbeat as Bateman stares at the magnificent card.

BATEMAN (V.O.)
Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness
of it. Oh my God, it even has a watermark...

His hand shaking, Bateman lifts up the card and stares at it
until it fills the screen.

He lets it fall.

SmartDresser

Reaction score
it really depends what you do. I need to be in touch and available to a lot of people - I have several telephone numbers, my address, my email, my webpage on the card, along with my tittle.
Your name, in large font. A cell phone number (get a cell phone and use it only for business). Your email address (maybe an alternative, like the cell phone number). And your elevator message.

This is the list of necessary items for this communication age. Try to keep it simple.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ 16 Nov. 2004, 12:51) it really depends what you do. I need to be in touch and available to a lot of people - I have several telephone numbers, my address, my email, my webpage on the card, along with my tittle.
Your name, in large font. Â A cell phone number (get a cell phone and use it only for business). Â Your email address (maybe an alternative, like the cell phone number). Â And your elevator message. This is the list of necessary items for this communication age. Â Try to keep it simple.
What's an "elevator message" ?

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally derived from an "elevator pitch" where a person will sell a business idea/strategy/product in the time it takes to ride up an elevator. It's one concise line that explains what you do.

Slightly OT, but is it acceptable to put a phone number on a calling card or is it strictly your name?

Aaron

P.S.>I love Bateman's expression in that scene.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally derived from an "elevator pitch" where a person will sell a business idea/strategy/product in the time it takes to ride up an elevator. It's one concise line that explains what you do. Slightly OT, but is it acceptable to put a phone number on a calling card or is it strictly your name? Aaron P.S.>I love Bateman's expression in that scene.
Traditionally, there would be no phone number. Maybe this changed or has changed.

PianoMan99

Reaction score
I am reviving this thread.

Can anyone suggest a good website for business cards and the best business card font?

Thanks.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I was at a club a few years ago and this guy gave me his number via a card with his name/#/email printed on it. Needless to say I did not call him back.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Connedude Enterprises, Inc.
196 Corporate Dr.
New York, NY 10001

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The business card scene is a classic (killer..)
Back to topic, I carry a my own cards for social & private reasons. My card is black with red print on one side & matt white on the reverse to pen extra details etc. The only details I have is my full name & email.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads