• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5EP x SF jean post pics

prozach1576

Reaction score
Mine have definitely stretched out some more from when I posted pictures earlier in the thread. The fit is perfect and they're really comfortable. Best article of clothing I've ever purchased, hands down.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cultpop 0217

and jason and brian if youre listening: how do these compare with the cut on your californias? becasue i was about to finally get a pair but im going with the 5ep instead.

Cult...

shrinkage: after soaking mine the waistband didnt noticeably shrink, the inseam sized down maybe 1.25". The inseam starts off a tad shorter than 34, it was more like 33 and change. Now the inseam is about 32 and change after the wash and hang.

compared to JR Cali: It's pretty similar, the Cali has a skinnier thigh area, about the same knees down (hem is probably .325" narrower on Cali). Cali has smaller top block around the hips. Overall the Cali is a tad slimmer but they're very close and the differences are minor and almost negligible. The 5EP has vastly superior denim and detailing tho. But I admit I like the fat redline selvage that the Cali has, altho if you compare the indigo on both, it's like the Cali barely has any compared to 5EP.

If I were to get one over the other, I'd get the 5EPs before Cali.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
Best article of clothing I've ever purchased, hands down.

I'm with you :p I'd be tempted to buy another pair for later if I could get another long one. I look forward to future 5EP x SF collabs.

WorkingTitle

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a question

I am a size 29 in True Religions and Rock & Republics, so as my first Raw denim, would I be advised to go one size up to 30? The 29s are a bit tight and I have to make an effort to do the buttons, but once they are on, they are golden. However from what I have read in this thread, it seems like these jeans do run a bit on the tight size.

What would you guys recommend?

Lastly, once I have decided on a size, what is the best way to go about pruchasing the denim? People keep mentioning Paulo in this thread, is he a user who sells these jeans? Give me some knowledge.

Thanks
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
Mine have definitely stretched out some more from when I posted pictures earlier in the thread. The fit is perfect and they're really comfortable. Best article of clothing I've ever purchased, hands down.

I'm going to offer a mild counterpoint. I like these a lot, but I think they could have been a little better. Namely, I wish the fit of the top block was better matched to the fit below the knee. As it is, there's a hint of Frankenjean to the cut, with a mid rise and relaxed fit at the hips and the very narrow cut from the knee down. I wish the cut were a bit more fitted above, like the Grifters or the PBJ xx-005, to match the nicely tapered leg.

The denim is my favorite of all time, but I knew that before I got these.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WorkingTitle
Hey guys, I had a question

I am a size 29 in True Religions and Rock & Republics, so as my first Raw denim, would I be advised to go one size up to 30? The 29s are a bit tight and I have to make an effort to do the buttons, but once they are on, they are golden. However from what I have read in this thread, it seems like these jeans do run a bit on the tight size.

What would you guys recommend?

Lastly, once I have decided on a size, what is the best way to go about pruchasing the denim? People keep mentioning Paulo in this thread, is he a user who sells these jeans? Give me some knowledge.

Thanks
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Get them from Mauro by calling Denimbar (there's a denimbar logo up above this thread on your screen, click it for info).

As to sizing, the tagged size you happen to wear in various other brands is really not the best way to determine much of anything, as tagged szie is often inaccurate, and jeans both stretch and shrink(sometimes dramatically). You need to get a tape measure and find out what the actual, real dimensions of your jeans are, then compare them to the SFX5ep size chart. Fok has repeatedly mentioned that these jeans are a unforgivingly skinny fit at the small end of the scale. This means that
A. if your usual jeans are bootcut or relaxed fit or whatever, buying your normal size will expose you to a totally unfamilar kind of fit(could be a good or a bad thing).
B. You damn well better take the measuring seriously.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm going to offer a mild counterpoint. I like these a lot, but I think they could have been a little better. Namely, I wish the fit of the top block was better matched to the fit below the knee. As it is, there's a hint of Frankenjean to the cut, with a mid rise and relaxed fit at the hips and the very narrow cut from the knee down. I wish the cut were a bit more fitted above, like the Grifters or the PBJ xx-005, to match the nicely tapered leg.

The denim is my favorite of all time, but I knew that before I got these.

Totally agree with this.

ninjapie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You probably want a size 28. One guy who wears a size 28 in nearly everything, and a 26 New Standard found the 28s too tight, and had to go up to a size 29. The jeans are extremely unforgiving at the smaller sizes.
Yikes! Time to get the measuring tape out. I wear a 26 in NS and 28 in most Nudies too so I guess ordering a 28 might be problematic. Could someone post the measurements for a 29, by the way?
Originally Posted by cchen
ups just dropped mine off... will post pics, if they fit correctly. edit: here they are. i'm 5'7", 143 lb, got a size 29.
1383622818_2431bd2e2f.jpg
1382723243_0c8b3fc3f5.jpg

I'm 5'7, 136lb so yeah, mmmm.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ninjapie - you'll most likely want a 29. dhinggok - a 28 would probably fit well.
I'm going to offer a mild counterpoint. I like these a lot, but I think they could have been a little better. Namely, I wish the fit of the top block was better matched to the fit below the knee. As it is, there's a hint of Frankenjean to the cut, with a mid rise and relaxed fit at the hips and the very narrow cut from the knee down. I wish the cut were a bit more fitted above, like the Grifters or the PBJ xx-005, to match the nicely tapered leg. The denim is my favorite of all time, but I knew that before I got these.
+ 1 billion. I'm thinking about selling my 29's because I really needed a 28 top block, but with the legs of a 29. I have no ass or thighs, so the top block seems too loose and hip-flarish in comparison with the fit below the knee. It would probably better suit someone with slightly larger proportions in the top block, but with similar proportions in the legs - looks great on cchen and the other guy wearing a 29 (amlai?) I think Brian might be wearing 29 as well..?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Ninjapie - you'll most likely want a 29.

dhinggok - a 28 would probably fit well.

+ 1 billion. I'm thinking about selling my 29's because I really needed a 28 top block, but with the legs of a 29. I have no ass or thighs, so the top block seems too loose and hip-flarish in comparison with the fit below the knee. It would probably better suit someone with slightly larger proportions in the top block, but with similar proportions in the legs - looks great on cchen and the other guy wearing a 29 (amlai?) I think Brian might be wearing 29 as well..?

I think that's just the issue - who has a huge ass and tiny legs? Not that the problem is severe, but I can't help but wonder what the original cut was like. I remember that the prototype was altered to make the cut more tapered, and I wonder if this hurt the final cut rather than helped it.

Then again, I a lot of jeans fit me funny that fit other guys really well, so what do I know.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to offer a mild counterpoint. I like these a lot, but I think they could have been a little better. Namely, I wish the fit of the top block was better matched to the fit below the knee. As it is, there's a hint of Frankenjean to the cut, with a mid rise and relaxed fit at the hips and the very narrow cut from the knee down. I wish the cut were a bit more fitted above, like the Grifters or the PBJ xx-005, to match the nicely tapered leg. The denim is my favorite of all time, but I knew that before I got these.
I wouldn't have minded the jeans being a little lower rise and SLIGHTLY slimmer in the top block but the fit is still great IMO, best of any jean I own.

amlai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Cult...

shrinkage: after soaking mine the waistband didnt noticeably shrink, the inseam sized down maybe 1.25". The inseam starts off a tad shorter than 34, it was more like 33 and change. Now the inseam is about 32 and change after the wash and hang.

Woah... I didn't think that these would shrink that much since they're Sanforized. I guess that I'm going to need to give mine a soak or I'm going to start to have combs and wear in odd places.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads