• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

when did the hat die?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
+1 Also, nowhere to put it when I take it off.

Personally, I'd love to have a good reason to own a nice hatrack.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
I couldn't imagine having a convertible without using the tops.

I ride around year-round in my MR2 w/ the T-tops off and windows down. Freezing? No prob! Throw on the coat and scarf!
laugh.gif

One of the problems is that the top is somewhat tedious to get off and the problem of storing it. The entire thing comes off as opposed to something like a targa.

Brigden

Reaction score
Ages ago I had read that the death of the hat was helped along as a result of automakers producing vehicles with lower profiles; thus, there was little room to accomodate a hat.

Could be BS, mind.

lidprop

Reaction score
I would love to see the death of the ball cap. Too many grown men are walking around looking like "Beaver Cleaver". (Remember "The Beav"?) For the last several years I've been enjoying wearing fedoras. (And I don't care what anybody thinks). Try one on for size. Once you get used to seeing yourself in a fedora you'll love wearing one.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm mid twenties and I wear Fedora-esque hats with regularity. Never a negative comment. Will wear a baseball cap only when on the farm.

~ Huntsman

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
In my little corner of the universe the hat has undergone a rebirth. I started with a felt driving cap three years ago. Now I have a dark gray fedora, a panama, and a blue cotton driving cap for summer.

I never leave the house without a hat (unless I am going to a job interview). I only wear baseball caps to play sports or do manual labor.

Steve

Mustapha

Reaction score
I wish someone here would post a picture of themselves wearing an old fashioned blocked hat.

The last time I saw this in public was in 1995 on a business suit wearing man in Las Vegas at a convention. He was about age 50 and the hat kind of matched the suit. A few people - including me - discreetly stared at him. It looked sort of costume-y. I think he wanted to look like he had some sort of fashion gravitas and he certainly wasn't swanning about with it, but it didn't strike quite the right note with me. It wasn't odd but it wasn't Right either.

I'm 51 myself and my father gave up his hats about 1960 he tells me. His reason was that no one was wearing them anymore. My grandfather was born about 1895 and lived until 1980 and he never wore hats in his old age. My neighbor is 85 and is of the hat wearing generation but is always bareheaded, even when in Dress clothes.

Hats on woman; esp. of the 'fancy' type seen at the 'better' functions are quite fetching.

-Moose

mizanation

Reaction score
i think the hat went away with rock and roll and hippie culture.

young people were trying so hard to be different from their parents and the hat was such a visible, tangible symbol of tradition.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
I wish someone here would post a picture of themselves wearing an old fashioned blocked hat.

The last time I saw this in public was in 1995 on a business suit wearing man in Las Vegas at a convention. He was about age 50 and the hat kind of matched the suit. A few people - including me - discreetly stared at him. It looked sort of costume-y. I think he wanted to look like he had some sort of fashion gravitas and he certainly wasn't swanning about with it, but it didn't strike quite the right note with me. It wasn't odd but it wasn't Right either.

I'm 51 myself and my father gave up his hats about 1960 he tells me. His reason was that no one was wearing them anymore. My grandfather was born about 1895 and lived until 1980 and he never wore hats in his old age. My neighbor is 85 and is of the hat wearing generation but is always bareheaded, even when in Dress clothes.

Hats on woman; esp. of the 'fancy' type seen at the 'better' functions are quite fetching.

-Moose

One of the better sights of San Francisco I've seen was a woman in a rather grand dress hat sitting in the Ritz hotel cafe/bar.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I'm too lazy to upload it but if you follow the link there's a photo of me wearing a pork pie.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...ttle-bits.html

Thanks Will. This is what I think:

First, as a taller white male - as you seem to be - I think you can carry this off. Second; this would look good at a wedding or other 'special' function, but not 'in the street'. Third; being small and Asian I would look like a tool wearing a blocked hat; so why am I even thinking about a hat??
blush.gif
confused.gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Thanks Will. This is what I think:

First, as a taller white male - as you seem to be - I think you can carry this off. Second; this would look good at a wedding or other 'special' function, but not 'in the street'. Third; being small and Asian I would look like a tool wearing a blocked hat; so why am I even thinking about a hat??
blush.gif
confused.gif

I can't speak for you but I think it looks fine in the street. As I've written elsewhere, the only concern I've had about this particular hat is that strange women walking on the sidewalk compliment me on it, which means it's a bit too noticeable. But there are worse problems.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Personally, I'd love to have a good reason to own a nice hatrack.
Yeah me too. I`m not worried at all about where to put the hat when I am home. The reason I shy away from wearing hats is because there is nowhere to put it when I am away from the home (for example, a restaurant). In the old days when everyone wore hats, someone would kindly take your hat or there would be hatrack. These days, you would have to put it in the chair next to you (if there is one), or even worse, put it in on your lap
laugh.gif
All that PLUS getting your hair all messed up when you take it off makes the hat unpopular.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics