• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hip-hop culture hurting NFL

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Tell me something I don't know.
The human head weighs eight pounds?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
The human head weighs eight pounds?

Ah, I'd forgotten the exact figure. Cheers. Now you can go back to harassing Connie in CE.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincent
wow..roma you have no idea what you are talking about...
Think before you speak next time roma.....you got shut down

Plus you like soccer...gayest sport in the world (where all the italian players dive)

Honestly, before you talk about the nfl..first look at soccer you douchebag italian meatball

Yo Vince! I think I know my tastes in music well enough to express an opinion on them. But thanks for caring!
bigstar[1].gif

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 76classic
We should just chill and CRANK DAT SOULJA BOY!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Souja Boy ain't exactly the type of uplifting needed for this thread. It's a hot cut, regardless of the meaning of the song.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hahahahahaahaha....

Don't get me wrong: yes, violence and misogyny are all too real, and are certainly legitimate subject matter for songs & stories. I''m well aware the blues are steeped in bloodshed, drugs, sex, etc. - that's why I love them so!
smile.gif
I guess I'm splitting hairs, but compare John Lee Hooker, Robert Nighthawk, et al. to these guys:

Snoop Dogg - 20 Dollars 2 My Name

Nothing left to do, but buy some shells for my glock
Why? so I can rob every known dope spot
I got 19 dollars and 50 cents up in my pocket with what?
With this automatic rocket
Gotta have it to pop it, unlock it, and take me up a hostage

Big Pun - Brave In The Heart

I'm from where the guns love to introduce theyself
Reduce your health, little bulletproofs get felt
Make way for krill, I don't play I spray for real
Blow your top with the glock, that's my favourite kill
Blaze your crib with like thirty shots
I'm already hot, but my last one is with some dirty cops
Blow a hole through your ribs just for runnin your lips
The street's a trip; either you deep or you sleep with the fish

Ludacris - Cry Babies (Oh No)

I caught him with a blow to the chest
My hollow put a hole in his vest
I'm bout to send two to his dome
Cry babies go home!
I just bought some new guns my mama said "it ain't worth it"
But I'm at the shooting range just cause
practice makes perfect

I'd do it if I have to
bustin caps with this a heat and load it clip up after clip
I'm packin my gauge, if I feel it
The glock, the gat, the nine, the heaters
See I be bustin caps like my amp be bustin speakers
So how do you figure that Big Boi be scared to blast ya
You 'posed to be quickest draw, but man, I hail em faster
1-2-3, you need to think about the future
Before I shoot your ass and dilute your blood with lead
From my hollow tips, I'll send you to an early grave

Notorious BIG - Come On

I shot dread in the head, took the bread and the landspread
Lil' Gotti got the shotty to your body
So don't resist, or you might miss Christmas
I tote guns, I make number runs
I give emcees the runs drippin
when I throw my clip in the AK, I slay from far away
Everybody hit the DECK

Does nobody else see the difference? Maybe if Robert Johnson and Charlie Patton had Glocks & AK47s they would have sounded the same as these guys, but I kind of doubt it.

That right there is some razor-sharp satire. I think we have the next Vonnegut on our hands.

Sorry Edward A. - I was just having fun w/ Fuuma and took the first scholarly-looking post and tweaked it w/ some soccer stuff. Not poking fun at you or your theories.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your argument is for the advancement of technology making violence easier (an important aspect of John Keegan's argument about why war is more deadly now than 1000 years ago), not the increasing base behavior fantasized about in lyric imagery. America as a whole is a hyper-violent culture and technology has made it easier to kill, but the desire to physically defeat rivals preexisted Cool Herc using two turntables and a microphone.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Does nobody else see the difference? Maybe if Robert Johnson and Charlie Patton had Glocks & AK47s they would have sounded the same as these guys, but I kind of doubt it.

the old time blues cats were reflecting what was going on in their community.

same as the rappers today.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hip Hop is arguabily the ugliest thing America has produced.... and far away to how mainstream America is

But it is so omniprescent nowadays that most people around here identify America with Hip Hop culture.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Hip Hop is arguabily the ugliest thing America has produced.... and far away to how mainstream America is

But it is so omniprescent nowadays that most people around here identify America with Hip Hop culture.

Surely you jest!

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
O, I see you've learned something since our chat in another thread.

Good.

I can't remember...Guns?

dsholmes1

Reaction score
OK lets get something straight. Hip Hop culture is not violent and is being manifested all across the world. Hip Hop is dead in america. Bboying and DJing are very alive worldwide and being appreciated by people of all nationalities and creeds without violence.

Rap though has become violent but america itself is ultra-violent. So dont blame rap music. I love how hip-hop has become the scapegoat for all that is wrong with america. Whenever **** goes wrong they always blame hip hop culture first.

Jason Whitlock is a ****. The racist term for black people of sports journalism. He is entitled to his opinion but I def do not agree with him on any level. What those guys do has nothing to do with hip hop culture. It has to do with their own personal levels of maturity. You cannot equate how they act to an entire culture. And to call Chad's antics bojangling is classless. Chad and Larry have a right to ***** and a right to celebrate because they leave it all on the field every Sunday. Notice noone ever questions their dedication to the sport. have any of them ever had any run-ins with the law.

How can he lump them in with the likes of Tank Johnson, Pac-man Jones, Vick..etc. All of those guys are products of the environment and socioeconomic statuses from childhood. Dog fighting is a southern thing, not hip hop. Collecting guns is american, not hip hop. Being violent and a ******* dumb ass is an I grew up without a father and poor and no one ever disciplined me thing, not hip hop.
Give me a ******* break will ya.

76classic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsholmes1
OK lets get something straight. Hip Hop culture is not violent and is being manifested all across the world. Hip Hop is dead in america. Bboying and DJing are very alive worldwide and being appreciated by people of all nationalities and creeds without violence.

Rap though has become violent but america itself is ultra-violent. So dont blame rap music. I love how hip-hop has become the scapegoat for all that is wrong with america. Whenever **** goes wrong they always blame hip hop culture first.

Jason Whitlock is a ****. The racist term for black people of sports journalism. He is entitled to his opinion but I def do not agree with him on any level. What those guys do has nothing to do with hip hop culture. It has to do with their own personal levels of maturity. You cannot equate how they act to an entire culture. And to call Chad's antics bojangling is classless. Chad and Larry have a right to ***** and a right to celebrate because they leave it all on the field every Sunday. Notice noone ever questions their dedication to the sport. have any of them ever had any run-ins with the law.

How can he lump them in with the likes of Tank Johnson, Pac-man Jones, Vick..etc. All of those guys are products of the environment and socioeconomic statuses from childhood. Dog fighting is a southern thing, not hip hop. Collecting guns is american, not hip hop. Being violent and a ******* dumb ass is an I grew up without a father and poor and no one ever disciplined me thing, not hip hop.
Give me a ******* break will ya.

Cosign

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads