• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Alas, my out of town trip turned up little via thrift. By far the most interesting thing is this tie, only 2.5" wide:

p1050940tl4.jpg

I'm curious how old it is.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Alas, my out of town trip turned up little via thrift. By far the most interesting thing is this tie, only 2.5" wide: I'm curious how old it is.
My uneducated guess is sometime in the 1950s? And silly question -- but is this related to THE Charvet that we all know and love? The script looks similar.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
And silly question -- but is this related to THE Charvet that we all know and love? The script looks similar.

My assumption is yes. 'Charvet et Fils' is the full name of Charvet to my understanding.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Alas, my out of town trip turned up little via thrift. By far the most interesting thing is this tie, only 2.5" wide:

I'm curious how old it is.

I have a tie or two of this label from this period, and I think this Charvet is unrelated to the French one. Note the (R) under the name. Also check for an RN or WPL label on the other end of the tie.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There was a Charvet et fils in New York for a number of years. I am not certain what its connection was to the Charvet of Place Vendome. I think there was one, but that it was somewhat loose.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RJman, what are you doing in this thread? Looking for tips to hunt down the remaining parts of your Darren Beaman order?
rimshot.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
My uneducated guess is sometime in the 1950s? And silly question -- but is this related to THE Charvet that we all know and love? The script looks similar.

Looks like the LL tie.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
Looks like the LL tie.

Good call! It is indeed the official London Lounge tie...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a bunch of great things today, but the coolest is a vintage T&A herringbone tweed jacket with hacking pockets, ticket pocket, and these real deep double vents. I think made by Chester Barrie. It actually fits pretty decently, so I might keep it and have a few tweaks done.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Found a bunch of great things today, but the coolest is a vintage T&A herringbone tweed jacket with hacking pockets, ticket pocket, and these real deep double vents. I think made by Chester Barrie. It actually fits pretty decently, so I might keep it and have a few tweaks done.

Sounds particularly nice.

I thought T & A was the maker of their garments. Is that not true?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^T&A does shirts and ties (tie production connected to Charles Hill in some way, maybe as simply a DBA), but their tailored clothing was made by Chester Barrie. Anyone know what the current arrangement is?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Sounds particularly nice.

I thought T & A was the maker of their garments. Is that not true?

I thought it was the other way around?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vman,was that at the salvation army?
If so, it also has pants!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went thrifting today to gain some more goodies for my fall wardrobe and to help pay some bills. Found an Armani tux shirt, a Brooks Bros. white slim-fit button down (For sale in the B&S forum) and a NWT pair of Frye Campus boots (also for sale in the B&S forum). The boots really made my day, and it was good thing my friend told me the Goodwill was hiring, because the main reason I stopped was to fill out an application.
P1110176.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics