• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
Where can you get Sinn watches for a good price?

How does Sinn compare to Nomos?

Hard to make a comparison between these two German brands since I can't think of too many of their models overlapping. In terms of style, Nomos makes dressy watches in a Bauhaus design. They are making a push to developing in-house movements although I think many of their models still have ETA inside. Sinn's product line is more diverse but they made their name making tool watches, , e.g. pilot's watch, diving watch, etc. Sinn uses ETA movements that they may modify and are more focused with the design of the cases and operations of the movements in adverse conditions.

Sinn has a direct, internet sales approach and doesn't sell through brick and mortar dealers. The only authorized dealer in the US is www.watchbuys.com. I think they carry Nomos too. In terms of prestige, Sinn watches have a cult following for their tool watches. They've been worn by astronaughts and various German military/LE types which is the type of pedigree that built the brand. Nomos has caught the eye of the discerning, design concious types and is a favorite among the internet watch boards. I know for example that they are carried by Wempe in NYC along side Langes, JLCs, VC's etc. Both are great reverse snobbery watches that will be reconized by the cognoscenti. Can't go wrong with either one; it depends primarily on whether you want a dressy watch or not.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
Sinn is simply THE tool watch company. Have a look at the rugged EZMs, the U models or the fliegers and it is pretty obvious.

/M

They are nice but Rolex is the real deal.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I think Rolex made some very nice models in the past but these days they are really more status symbols than true tools.

But who are we kidding when we call any expensive mechanical watch a 'tool'? Even a $1500 Sinn can't really be seen as a serious 'tool' watch when a Timex would be more reliable and durable for a fraction of the price.

What do you think of the Submariner/Seadweller/Explorer I watches? These haven't changed all that much, with the exception of some extra attention to ornamentation (i.e. white gold numerals vs. printed ones).

I think the main problem with Rolex isn't that the watches are any less 'tool'-like than before, but that too many people have come to value the brand chiefly for its prestige.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oo i think i've found my next watch

b16.jpg

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
But who are we kidding when we call any expensive mechanical watch a 'tool'? Even a $1500 Sinn can't really be seen as a serious 'tool' watch when a Timex would be more reliable and durable for a fraction of the price.

Timex is a satisfactory watch but is no more reliable or durable. Unless someone conducts a test of reliability or durability I think it is wise to consider expensive "tool" watches just as reliable as a Timex or even Seiko Divers.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
oo i think i've found my next watch

b16.jpg

ARE YOU INFECTED TOO?
MUST HAVE THIS WATCH
MUST HAVE THIS WATCH
MUST HAVE THIS WATCH
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

What do you think of the Submariner/Seadweller/Explorer I watches? These haven't changed all that much, with the exception of some extra attention to ornamentation (i.e. white gold numerals vs. printed ones).

I think the main problem with Rolex isn't that the watches are any less 'tool'-like than before, but that too many people have come to value the brand chiefly for its prestige.

I like to think of certain mechanical items as tools--my Leica, Contax and Rolleiflex cameras are all good models and collectable but I use them as tools all the time and I don't see any difference in using an expensive mechanical camera than wearing an expensive mechanical watch to tell time.

As for the Rolex models, I do like the classic Oyster model with the plain bezel, but watches like the Submariner, etc.--regardless of their mechanical virtues--have been tainted by their associations with a certain type of person not really worth mentioning.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Very good. Sinn is generally considered the best of all the military watch makers (e.g. Fortis, Tutima...). They have some very standard military designs but also have iconic designs, especially the 142 (which was rebranded as Space 1 by Bell & Ross, who started in the watch business by rebranding and selling Sinn watches).

I have a Sinn 142st (Lemania chrono) and it's an awesome watch. It competes head to head for wrist time with my Panerai and IWC - and often wins

Oooh. Thanks for the opinion. I got a watch like this early this year, when I was planning to get an IWC flieger. Have no regrets whatsoever.

85609.jpg

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
ARE YOU INFECTED TOO?
MUST HAVE THIS WATCH
MUST HAVE THIS WATCH
MUST HAVE THIS WATCH
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

The only problem is its only available in november.
plain.gif

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the first series quickly sold out.
Making a reservation for the second one is probably advisable.
However you sir have excellent taste.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
Yeah the first series quickly sold out.
Making a reservation for the second one is probably advisable.
However you sir have excellent taste.

haha...which are you getting?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I really like it too. Are we going to have a 3 way on this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics