• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I feel IWC's direction is going the opposite way. Then again, they're selling more watches nowadays and I bet they're happy about that.

Sure, they are selling more watches in the short-term, but they are doing so by becoming a pastiche of themselves--or worse, of others (compare the new Da Vinci chrono to Patek's in-house chrono introduced a couple of years ago).

Who knows what long-term effects this will have.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Sure, they are selling more watches in the short-term, but they are doing so by becoming a pastiche of themselves--or worse, of others (compare the new Da Vinci chrono to Patek's in-house chrono introduced a couple of years ago).

Who knows what long-term effects this will have.

Not a good one, if they're not careful. Here's my next target, once my finances are clear... my future daily beater:

19xh5.jpg

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch - Manometro Destro version with self-vintage strap
Car - Black 2006 Alfa Romeo 159Sportwagon

Stuff in traffic, so I pulled out the Leica (what a difference natural light has on the clarity) - the colours & the watch almost jump out..

20071024aXX.jpg

20071024bXX.jpg

20071024cXX.jpg

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Wow checking out the Stowa site there are some very attractive pieces. The movement on that Marine is beautiful.
b13.jpg

That is quite nice. It's got sort of an austere machine-age look to it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Hmmm...the Sinn Regulateur which is nicely priced at 1/5 of the IWC.

6100Klassik4N.jpg

6100KlassikB.jpg

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is Sinn's reputation amongst the watch frans?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.

Very good. Sinn is generally considered the best of all the military watch makers (e.g. Fortis, Tutima...). They have some very standard military designs but also have iconic designs, especially the 142 (which was rebranded as Space 1 by Bell & Ross, who started in the watch business by rebranding and selling Sinn watches).

I have a Sinn 142st (Lemania chrono) and it's an awesome watch. It competes head to head for wrist time with my Panerai and IWC - and often wins

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Very good. Sinn is generally considered the best of all the military watch makers (e.g. Fortis, Tutima...). They have some very standard military designs but also have iconic designs, especially the 142 (which was rebranded as Space 1 by Bell & Ross, who started in the watch business by rebranding and selling Sinn watches).

I have a Sinn 142st (Lemania chrono) and it's an awesome watch. It competes head to head for wrist time with my Panerai and IWC - and often wins

Thanks Greg, so a nice priced alternative to the IWC 3714?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

One of the better non-manufactures. The lower end watches in the line are a great value. However, the pricier, more complicated watches begin to overlap with offerings from more prestigious makers.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
B136_Sinn_Fulda_3.JPG

B110_Sinn_903_d.JPG

I like these on a strap.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
B136_Sinn_Fulda_3.JPG

B110_Sinn_903_d.JPG

I like these on a strap.

Nice, very IWC GST-esque. However, I don't like the cut-off numerals on one and the singular '12' on the other.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
One of the better non-manufactures. The lower end watches in the line are a great value. However, the pricier, more complicated watches begin to overlap with offerings from more prestigious makers.

I am curious to hear your views of the quality of their more upmarket pieces. If I recall correctly, Helmut Sinn is no longer associated with the company he founded because of his disagreement with management's decision to expand from its no-nonsense, tool watch roots. I personally like the design of the Frankfurt Finance, but to me Sinn is about the 142, the pilot watches, like the 656 and the rarely mentioned 244, a watch that has always reminded me of the Porsche designed IWC, but in a good way. Sadly, prices have been steadily increasing. Watchbuys says it's because of the strong Euro; I wonder if something else is at work.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Greg, so a nice priced alternative to the IWC 3714?

I'm not a big believer in "alternatives" when it comes to watches. I find that if you really lust after a specific watch (e.g. 3714 for you?), an "intermediate" purchase will not leave you satisfied and you will keep wanting that dream watch. I'd recommend saving more and getting what you really want (as long as it's an achievable goal, not a Breguet No.5 like me!
laugh.gif
) rather than getting a more affordable alternative.

Now, if you really like some of the Sinn designs, then I'd recommend to definitely go for it, and even maybe visit the factory in Germany and buy at the factory shop (I haven't done it but heard great things). I personally really like Sinn's military watches, but I'm not a fan of the dressier models. I also have a strong aversion to watches with really busy dials (e.g. the multiple tachymetre thingy on that second watch you posted, Ã la Breitling)

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

Where can you get Sinn watches for a good price?

How does Sinn compare to Nomos?

chas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
Where can you get Sinn watches for a good price?

How does Sinn compare to Nomos?

I think that generally Sinn are considered to be of a sturdier construction than Nomos and are difficult to find at a discount. It has probably been noted earlier in this thread but timezone.com is an excellent resource for information on both of these brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads