• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People who watch The Wire

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
MY brother has all three seasons on DVD and has rewatched them a few times. I haven't gotten around to it though I need to (since I really got into the show in season 4, and partially watched the others) before season 5 starts.

I have a big vacation in two months I may take the DVDs with me since that'll be the only time I have to watch.

I haven't seen season 4.

My only problem with the show is the stupid Mayoral race... I feel like thats the weakest part of the show. The Carcetti character is annoying. I understand why they take it to the very top level, but I tend to prefer the workings of the police dept, and of course, the street level.

As for the literary brilliance of this show, I won't really argue with that, except that there have been a few instances of horrifying kitch... firstly, McNulty's FBI friend in one scene keeps saying "brotha" in some sort of street tone which is beyond forced and induces strong cringing.

Then, there is the infamous scene where they are investigation a crime scene, and the only word they use is "****". I'm sure some people found that funny, but not only was it total kitch, it was just bad and really embarassing. People's obsession with the word **** is getting really too much. On Inside the Actors studio, Lipton always asks what an actor's favourite curse word is, and then obviously, they say **** and go into how versatile it is... the audience loves it and thinks they're such a badass for saying ****. People need to get over this word. Unless you're some kind of monk or nunn, you probably swear enough for it to lose its power as this big bad assed word.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Season three is my favorite, although I haven't seen season four yet -- it comes out on DVD in December. Season five is the last season and will be about the media.

Floor five...

muggers, aggressive panhandlers
and book critics.

Floor six...

right wing extremists, killers,
lawyers who appear on TV.

Floor seven...

the media.

Sorry, that floor is
all filled up.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Floor eight...

escaped war criminals,
TV evangelists and the NRA.

Lowest level...

everybody off.

lol8[1].gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
As for the literary brilliance of this show, I won't really argue with that, except that there have been a few instances of horrifying kitch... firstly, McNulty's FBI friend in one scene keeps saying "brotha" in some sort of street tone which is beyond forced and induces strong cringing.
...Which was intentional, of course. What didn't you like about the characterization? I thought it was another amusing detail, highlighting the ways in which the FBI agent obviously feels a little threatened by McNulty's "in the trenches" work, as opposed to his desk job, which was a source of conflict between them from the first time he was introduced.
Then, there is the infamous scene where they are investigation a crime scene, and the only word they use is "****". I'm sure some people found that funny, but not only was it total kitch, it was just bad and really embarassing. People's obsession with the word **** is getting really too much. On Inside the Actors studio, Lipton always asks what an actor's favourite curse word is, and then obviously, they say **** and go into how versatile it is... the audience loves it and thinks they're such a badass for saying ****. People need to get over this word. Unless you're some kind of monk or nunn, you probably swear enough for it to lose its power as this big bad assed word.
I have to disagree here, I loved that scene to death. My only gripe with the show was that for most of the first season, the McNulty/Bunk pairing, while humorous, was a little too "generic urban buddy cops" for me. Subsequent development of both characters pretty much fixed that for me, though. Who here really thinks McNulty's been housebroken, btw? I'm doubting it.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only problem with the show is the stupid Mayoral race... I feel like thats the weakest part of the show. The Carcetti character is annoying. I understand why they take it to the very top level, but I tend to prefer the workings of the police dept, and of course, the street level.

I love that storyline- not my favorite but I think it fits well. It completes the 360 degree picture of Baltimore (The Wire's version of it, of course). It was an all-too-real look into the enormous mountain that must be climbed to make a real impact on a city that has fallen so far.

The most complimentary thing I can say about it is that it is unbelievably consistent.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have hardly any complaints about The Wire - just about everything felt right to me. If I have any reservations, it's about the dock workers in Season 2. Something felt a little bit cliche in those characterizations. The same blue collar white guy yadda yadda that I've seen in a few dozem movies.

My favorite is easily season 4 - the kids were amazing, and Prez took an interesting turn as a teacher.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I actually really liked the dock workers in S2, but that seems to be a relatively common complaint. Frank Sobotka was a great character, plucked straight from a Greek tragedy and planted right in the middle of a dying blue-collar urban East Coast culture. His son, yeah, not so much, but at least he was entertaining at times.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
...Which was intentional, of course. What didn't you like about the characterization? I thought it was another amusing detail, highlighting the ways in which the FBI agent obviously feels a little threatened by McNulty's "in the trenches" work, as opposed to his desk job, which was a source of conflict between them from the first time he was introduced.

I have to disagree here, I loved that scene to death.

My only gripe with the show was that for most of the first season, the McNulty/Bunk pairing, while humorous, was a little to generic "urban buddy cops" for me. Subsequent development of both characters pretty much fixed that for me, though.

Who here really thinks McNulty's been housebroken, btw? I'm doubting it.

Im sorry but for me it is a scene that appeals to geeks who are impressed by swearing... I just dont understand how anyone could find that funny. It was so cheesy and contrived. The level of this show is so high that I cannot fathom why they did that. This show is all about artful authenticity. The characters can be brilliant but at the same time, the show relies on realism and plausibility. Any real cop would ridicule a bunch of investigators doing like a macho, improptu musical like they did in that kitchen. It was like Grease meets NYPD Blue.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Im sorry but for me it is a scene that appeals to geeks who are impressed by swearing... I just dont understand how anyone could find that funny. It was so cheesy. The level of this show is so high that I cannot fathom why they did that.

Swearing stopped "impressing" me in elementary school. It's probably the only word in the English language that is actually that versatile, though. In any case, what can I say, if you have to explain why you find something funny, it's just not gonna be funny anymore. I loved the amusing lightheartedness of it, and it was a clever way to say to the audience "we know you've seen a million CSI/Law & Order/etc scenes where the detectives narrate what they're discovering the entire time, and we also know that you're smart enough not to need that, and we sort of hate it, too... here, let's just say the entire thing with a single catch-all word, acting, and shot selection."

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swearing stopped "impressing" me in elementary school. It's probably the only word in the English language that is actually that versatile, though. In any case, what can I say, if you have to explain why you find something funny, it's just not gonna be funny anymore. I loved the amusing lightheartedness of it, and it was a clever way to say to the audience "we know you've seen a million CSI/Law & Order/etc scenes where the detectives narrate what they're discovering the entire time, and we also know that you're smart enough not to need that, and we sort of hate it, too... here, let's just say the entire thing with a single catch-all word, acting, and shot selection."

I might have edited after you read my initial post.

In any case, I suppose it was lost on me.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Favorite scene from the show? Mine is the confrontation between Stringer and Avon at the end of an episode in Season Three.

(If you name a scene in Season Four, make sure to avoid mentioning plot developments for those of us who don't have HBO!)

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I might have edited after you read my initial post.

In any case, I suppose it was lost on me.

Well, it doesn't so much matter. I liked it, but in any case it was one scene in four seasons, and we both think the show is awesome.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Favorite scene from the show? Mine is the confrontation between Stringer and Avon at the end of an episode in Season Three.

(If you name a scene in Season Four, make sure to avoid mentioning plot developments for those of us who don't have HBO!)

I don't have HBO, but I do have a Bittorrent client.
smile.gif

It's probably not my absolute favorite scene, but I actually preferred the non-confrontation scene between Stringer and Avon at Avon's penthouse apt, where they both know what they're going to do, but are trying to savor that last moment of friendship... or is that what you were talking about? In any case, that scene was amazing.

For simple comedic value, I am a great fan of McNulty's attempt to take a mulligan on that drunken turn that wrecks his car.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who here really thinks McNulty's been housebroken, btw? I'm doubting it.

I'm wondering about this myself. He had that great line at the end of the last season where he said he thought he could do his job while protecting himself from himself (or something to that effect).

As to favorite scenes, the one with McNulty going undercover in the whorehouse and then taking his undercover role a bit too far was amusing. The scene where Herc walks in on the mayor and his secretary was also good. I also liked the scene between Omar and the nation of islam assassin in the hotel room right after Omar shot him. I just thought it was interesting that these are two men involved in very violent professions, both of whom apply logic and reasoning to their situation.

I'm trying to picture the crime investigation scene you've been referencing where they just use the f word, but I can't remember it. Which season was it?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Omar! Damn, just the thought of all these guys is getting me riled up for season 5.

mizanation

Reaction score
Somehow I doubt your ultra gangster friend would appreciate you bragging about knowing him on an internet forum.

please. he doesn't give a ****. he's very open about his past and how he turned his life around. my point about bringing him up is that people like stringer bell and avon barksdale exist in real life. they are based on real people. this is something i respect about the show. most shows portray drug dealers as one-sided barbarians.

i like bubbs. he's smart, world-wise, kind-hearted and he happens to be a junkie. when mcnulty asks, "bubbs, you got so much knowledge, how'd you end up like this?" bubbs, responds, "i'm still trying to figure that out." or something like that.

which is interesting because i have another friend, coincidentally, named "bubbles" who also has his problems with addiction. he's also the most skillful carpenter/electricians/handyman i know. he'd be rich if it wasn't for his habit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads