• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People who watch The Wire

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
I sincerely believe that The Wire is one of the greatest artistic achievements in the history of the English language. It's literature on the same level as any revered classic.
You can thank the authors Dennis Lehane and George Pelecanos for that. They also write for the show. THE best show on HBO/television since season one. How Andre Royo doesn't get nominated for an Emmy for last season is a crime.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got done watching season 4. I watched it from start to finish in 2 nights. It was really, really good.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
What was everyone's favorite season? I thought season four was actually the best so far. The focus on schools and the children added a huge missing piece to an already brilliant portrayal of the lives of the corner kids and the rest of the people who grow up in the community. And Colvin's ability to get through to Namond, at least for now, is the first glimmer of any kind of hope we've seen in the series so far, though it's telling that it's solely at the personal, and not the instutional, level. Though I'm personally waiting for that to go bad in the fifth season.
laugh.gif

i love the 4th season. i loved how they showed the evolution of the kids in the quad to the streets under different management. i think marlo makes a better character than stringer. much more mistique.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
Get a load of this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/09/us...timore.html?hp

You probably need to have read The Corner to fully appreciate how remarkable this story is. This pretty much made my week.

Let's give David Simon a Nobel Prize for something already.

Try to see this story about Melvin Williams on BET's American Gangster. On the Wire, Melvin was the old guy that helped Cutty turn his life around.

http://www.theurbantwist.com/news/12...007-10-17.html

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Damn..fav season....hmm, really hard to say. I've loved them all. That said, I REALLY got into the 4th, had a hard time waiting each week. The new one is going to be a totally different thing, going to have a wake for the last episode.

The article was very cool, nice to see.

mizanation

Reaction score
i know that it's been said so much that it's cliche, but the wire is the best show on TV.

currently going through the whole series again from season 1.

mcnulty's accent got a lot better over the years.

it's refreshing to hear real street slang, used the right way, without any grammatical errors.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Miz, this the first time you've gone back through? When I started over again (my fiancee got sick of hearing me constantly talk about how good it was and wanted to watch it herself, so I watched it over with her), I picked up on a lot of small points that had escaped me before. Usually tiny details about department politics, or very subtle things that certain actors were doing that I'd overlooked before. It just gets better and more complex the more you see it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I watched seasons 1-3 recently and this is definitely an excellent series from all points of view. I'm especially impressed by the rythm of the writing.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Miz, this the first time you've gone back through? When I started over again (my fiancee got sick of hearing me constantly talk about how good it was and wanted to watch it herself, so I watched it over with her), I picked up on a lot of small points that had escaped me before. Usually tiny details about department politics, or very subtle things that certain actors were doing that I'd overlooked before. It just gets better and more complex the more you see it.

yeah, first time going back through it. watching with my wife, who's never seen it.

shows like this make television like "24" look like trash.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season three is my favorite, although I haven't seen season four yet -- it comes out on DVD in December. Season five is the last season and will be about the media.

mizanation

Reaction score
^^^ aweswome. can't wait for season 5.

my boys who still live in the hood love the show because it's the only thing that is even close to their life experience.

one of my friends, who was a notorious heroin dealer in baltimore, is a dead ringer for stringer bell. doesn't smoke or drink. vegan. former body builder. reads voraciously. articulate. super disciplined. family man. sold millions of dollars of heroin a week. even has a great british accent which is ironic because the guy who plays bell, idris elba, is british. i don't think he watches the show though.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Season three is my favorite, although I haven't seen season four yet -- it comes out on DVD in December. Season five is the last season and will be about the media.

I think season four is my favorite. It brings together the street, city hall, and the schools, and the focus on children and how they grow up in the streets is both heartbreaking and incredibly illuminating.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
^^^ aweswome. can't wait for season 5.

my boys who still live in the hood love the show because it's the only thing that is even close to their life experience.

one of my friends, who was a notorious heroin dealer in baltimore, is a dead ringer for stringer bell. doesn't smoke or drink. vegan. former body builder. reads voraciously. articulate. super disciplined. family man. sold millions of dollars of heroin a week. even has a great british accent which is ironic because the guy who plays bell, idris elba, is british. i don't think he watches the show though.

Somehow I doubt your ultra gangster friend would appreciate you bragging about knowing him on an internet forum.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MY brother has all three seasons on DVD and has rewatched them a few times. I haven't gotten around to it though I need to (since I really got into the show in season 4, and partially watched the others) before season 5 starts.

I have a big vacation in two months I may take the DVDs with me since that'll be the only time I have to watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads