• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hip-hop culture hurting NFL

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Also, as Violinist points out, I should've said blues rather than jazz regarding misogyny. As far as Wagner goes, biographers do debate the exact nature of his personal beliefs, but it's clear that a lot of his work is concerned with the creation/synthesis of a fairly supremacist mythology for the German people.
Thanks for clarifying. Though I wouldn't label traditional blues (say, the 20's - 50's) as being misogynistic as much as playfully (though unrepentanty) chauvanistic. EDIT: hadn't read the lyrics you posted before, since I assumed you were quoting previous posters -- they're not typical of blues I've heard, but I'm no expert on the subject.

mizanation

Reaction score
nice lyrics edward. here are some more wholesome innocent lyrics from our friend Johnny Cash:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash -- Folsom Prison Blues
When I was just a baby, my mama told me, "Son, Always be a good boy; don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die. When I hear that whistle blowin' I hang my head and cry.
shooting a man just to watch him die is pretty gangsta.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
nice lyrics edward.

If Fiddy ran into John Lee Hooker in a dark alley he'd probably **** himself.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
nice lyrics edward. here are some more wholesome innocent lyrics from our friend Johnny Cash: shooting a man just to watch him die is pretty gangsta.
Well, context counts, no? Cash's narrator acknowledges deviating from what he was taught as a child, and finds himself incarcerated and rueful. It's not exactly "my moms don' know shizat -- I'm the baddest muddafugga up in here, yo"

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
See "Murder Ballads". Some modern examples.
Tom Dooley
Pretty Polly
Hey Joe
Mack The Knife
Stagger Lee

Quite a few murder ballads date from well before the 1900's, as popular folk songs about killing unfaithful women, cheating men, gamblers, or strangers. Often they are sympathetic to the killer.\\

I leave you with this one final nugget. Name the band!

Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or I won't know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end'a little girl

Well you know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can't spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end'a little girl

Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead

Oh yeah... The Beatles were HARDCORE!

mizanation

Reaction score
nice ones, slim!

don't forget the plethora of marijuana tribute songs from the 1920's on.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Well, context counts, no? Cash's narrator acknowledges deviating from what he was taught as a child, and finds himself incarcerated and rueful. It's not exactly "my moms don' know shizat -- I'm the baddest muddafugga up in here, yo"

oki doki.............

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk

EDIT: hadn't read the lyrics you posted before, since I assumed you were quoting previous posters -- they're not typical of blues I've heard, but I'm no expert on the subject.

I'm not certainly not an expert either, so I don't know whether are not they're characteristic. Both songs are quite early in the history of the blues, though.

mizanation

Reaction score
man, most early blues is about *******, satan, or murder.

most people can't tell because they hide the meaning behind metaphor and slang.

i love people who claim that blues and jazz are wholesome music as opposed to rap.

jazz is a form of the word, "****," as in "ejaculate." "jazz" or "jaz" meant, "the ****" back in the day. so, "jazz music" was the hot music of the time.

early jazz is full of sex and drugs.

and the old blues and jazz performers were just as gangsta as any of the hip hop cats today. if you don't believe me, read miles davis's autobiography, or better yet, have a drink with one of the surviving jazz greats, if you are lucky enough. you will be suprised how hard these cats are.

every generation has nay-sayers who lambast the music of the youth, who have nothing more to do than to criticize and to belittle true creativity.

mizanation

Reaction score

i think most people would **** themselves if they ever met the "boogie man" in a dark alley. i wouldn't want to run into leadbelly either.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score

Nah. Whatever else you wanna say about the man, 50 is hardcore. Cat got shot 9 times from like a foot away, then drove himself to the hospital. You have to respect somebody that tough.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Nah. Whatever else you wanna say about the man, 50 is hardcore. Cat got shot 9 times from like a foot away, then drove himself to the hospital. You have to respect somebody that tough.

O, I see you've learned something since our chat in another thread.

Good.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not even lolcats can save this thread. You guys are all diseased.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Not even lolcats can save this thread. You guys are all diseased.

Tell me something I don't know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics