• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does one wear under a light cashmere v-neck sweater?

Carbon

Reaction score
I've gotten a couple of these sweaters as a gift. They're nice, but I have no idea what to wear them with. I'd like to wear them in a business casual setting and a casual setting.

I can't see using them in a business casual setting because if you put it over a button down shirt without a tie, it seems messy to leave the top buttons unbuttoned. Or even with a tie, wouldn't that look weird under the sweater?

In a casual setting, what are you supposed to wear underneath it? A white crew-neck t-shirt? A black crew-neck t-shirt? Something else? Some of the v-necks go down pretty low so I can't imagine wearing a v-neck t-shirt and showing that much skin.

graphix

Reaction score
main556.jpg

men-outfit-428-lg.jpg

BGN01QJ_mn.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carbon
I've gotten a couple of these sweaters as a gift. They're nice, but I have no idea what to wear them with. I'd like to wear them in a business casual setting and a casual setting.

I can't see using them in a business casual setting because if you put it over a button down shirt without a tie, it seems messy to leave the top buttons unbuttoned. Or even with a tie, wouldn't that look weird under the sweater?

In a casual setting, what are you supposed to wear underneath it? A white crew-neck t-shirt? A black crew-neck t-shirt? Something else? Some of the v-necks go down pretty low so I can't imagine wearing a v-neck t-shirt and showing that much skin.

For business, shirt and tie is a classic look under a v-neck sweater, but so is an unbuttoned shirt.

Casually, you can still use the unbuttoned shirt or, as you've guessed, a crew-neck, fairly fitted, T-shirt. Rather than plain black or white, try a coloured one complementing the other colours you're wearing.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer a shirt underneath. for casual a button-down.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got a light blue cashmere v-neck last christmas...i could never find anything to wear with it though, it seems that it's too light to match anything underneath it.

suggestions?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I normally don't like the look of a tie outlined in a lightweight sweater. So I won't advise you much on the biz cashz setting.
But, don't restrict yourself to white and black undershirts. What color are the sweaters? Will help advise; but, say if I'm wearing a brownish one I'd wear a light blue or even light green tshirt underneath. Say it were a blue sweater I'd consider things like orange, brown, grey, yellow.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I normally don't like the look of a tie outlined in a lightweight sweater. So I won't advise you much on the biz cashz setting.
But, don't restrict yourself to white and black undershirts. What color are the sweaters? Will help advise; but, say if I'm wearing a brownish one I'd wear a light blue or even light green tshirt underneath. Say it were a blue sweater I'd consider things like orange, brown, grey, yellow.

i also liked the notion of a shirt and tie underneath for dressier business casual - however, i absolutely hated the tie pressing against the sweater from underneath. i dont know if people that do this look have on a jacket (and make it possibly less noticeable) or just live with the unsightly bulging of the tie...perhaps my sweater is too fitted but it happens with pretty much any sweater ive tried

andyw

Reaction score
Skin.......................or Uniglo cotton button placket t shirt.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A buttondown collar shirt is pretty standard. I don't know how lightweight you're talking, but the few times I've worn a tie under a sweater it hasn't been a problem. I don't wear huge thick ties though, either, or skintight sweaters (for the most part). Try a lighter weight tie, or maybe a knit.

I am not a fan of the crew neck t-shirt under v-neck sweater at all, personally. I look much better in shirts with a collar anyway.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like wearing graphic dress shirts--Holliday & Brown, etc.--with the collar outside.

I also prefer to tuck the sweater into the pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads