• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hip-hop culture hurting NFL

76classic

Reaction score
You stated "real r&b, not boyz2men". Wow, I wish we could go back to the days of Boyz to Men. Nowadays, groups don't even sing. Boyz to Men could most certainly sing along with En Vogue, Maxwell, Jodeci, SWV, etc. T-Pain, Trey Songz, and all......warm garbage. Ok, you guys can get back to the NFL and it's destruction. Off the subject, I saw an interview with Micheal Strahan on Jim Rome. He said a majority of players need pain killers not only to perform on Sunday, but just to live pain free during the rest of the year. Hip hop is the least of the NFL's problems. Sounds like legalized drug addiction should be a concern.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
romafan and violinist should just freestyle battle*.

*I have no idea what I'm talking about but I saw it on 8 mile lol

Wouldn't be much of a battle.

Romafan... you were talking a lot of **** on a subject which you are clearly quite misinformed. You are also no angel yourself when it comes to attacking other people, so I find it interesting that you are suddenly so hurt when I do the same to you. Every one of my replies following my initial post was a reply to what you wrote, and I am just "kidding" as well.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 76classic
You stated "real r&b, not boyz2men". Wow, I wish we could go back to the days of Boyz to Men. Nowadays, groups don't even sing. Boyz to Men could most certainly sing along with En Vogue, Maxwell, Jodeci, SWV, etc. T-Pain, Trey Songz, and all......warm garbage. Ok, you guys can get back to the NFL and it's destruction. Off the subject, I saw an interview with Micheal Strahan on Jim Rome. He said a majority of players need pain killers not only to perform on Sunday, but just to live pain free during the rest of the year. Hip hop is the least of the NFL's problems. Sounds like legalized drug addiction should be a concern.

I guess I should have said old R&B: Ike Turner, Larry Williams, Nathaniel Mayer, Esquerita, Solomon Burke, Andre Williams, Nolan Strong & the Diablos, Sam Cooke, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, the 5 Royales, Johnny 'Guitar' Watson, etc.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
You are far too stupid and lacking in influence to do either.

how small is **********?

That's seriously the best you could do? .

revolve.gif
lurker[1].gif

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Sorry to have started a scholarly debate on the origins and social history of hip-hop.
sarcasm.gif
My posts were (mostly) in jest. I don't really think hip-hop is destroying America (dubya's doing fine by himself). My main objection to rap is an aesthetic one: I just think it is ****** "music". I'm sure there are some very talented artists in the hip-hop genre. I realize it's very popular, and even good people (like Ed Morel) listen to it and enjoy it. However, I'm too old to appreciate it. My tastes run toward rock 'n roll (real rock 'n roll), blues, jazz, r&b (again, real r&b, not boyz2men), etc. My exposure to rap was in the early '80's. I didn't particulary care for it then and have admittedly made no effort to keep up with it.

That being said, and baggy pantz & bling aside, I have heard whatever particular flava of rap (I would have called it gangsta, but apparently now it is MAINSTREAM) w/ the mind boggling violence, misogyny, celebration of crime, drug culture, etc. I'll leave it to you and the social scientists to argue cause or effect, but whatever the outcome, I find it truly disturbing. And it's a copout to say 'hey, it just reflects life in the hood, and until the economic disparity and injustice disappears you're alwways going to have it'. That's bullshit - many beleive that rap actually comes out of punk rock, and not black music and the black experience. There have always been poor people making new music, and the musical forms that emerged from those economically disadvantaged 'hoods never came near rap in terms of celebrating violence embracing self-defeating anitsocial behavior. He may look like a blowfish, but read what Stanley Crouch has to say on the subject.
cool.gif

Now let's spin some GrandMaster Flash and start the party!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ok....

you sounded pretty serious before, but i guess you were just kidding the whole time?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wouldn't be much of a battle.

Romafan... you were talking a lot of **** on a subject which you are clearly quite misinformed. You are also no angel yourself when it comes to attacking other people, so I find it interesting that you are suddenly so hurt when I do the same to you. Every one of my replies following my initial post was a reply to what you wrote, and I am just "kidding" as well.

Did you read my post (#50)? It should clear up all your misconceptions, and was posted before you came on the scene here.

I don't think I've ever entered a thread by attacking someone, but it doesn't mean you can't do it. Feel free to insult me all you want. Contrary to your belief it doesn't hurt me, but it does make you appear foolish, not that that's ever bothered you in the past. Glad to hear you were kidding, too. I didn't want to have to buy you a plane ticket....

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez, a lot of macho posturing and physical threats going on in here. What kind of music did your parents let you sociopaths listen to?
laugh.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
ok....

you sounded pretty serious before, but i guess you were just kidding the whole time?

"Hip-hop is the target, my friend. And with the help of the NFL I hope to wipe the scourge from the face of this once great land....." Pretty serious?
laugh.gif

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Geez, a lot of macho posturing and physical threats going on in here. What kind of music did your parents let you sociopaths listen to?

laugh.gif

No posturing here. He's the one offering to buy a plane ticket so he can show me how much of a man he is.

Also, I read post #50. It didn't illuminate anything for me. As for appearing "foolish", read what other people thought of you before I arrived.

Finally, I think you are totally bullshitting about the "kidding" issue. I've seen you and others make grand, sweeping statements like that before on Styleforum, and if people are in agreement, it continues. I have no doubt that if a bunch of old cranky men came in and agreed with you, you would have gotten even more floral and creative with your disagreement with rap music. Don't front.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No posturing here. He's the one offering to buy a plane ticket so he can show me how much of a man he is.

Also, I read post #50. It didn't illuminate anything for me. As for appearing "foolish", read what other people thought of you.

Yes, I was "not kidding" about the plane ticket as well.
rolleyes.gif
Serious question: did you in fights a lot as a kid (if you're not one now)? I only ask because you're incredibly obnoxious and agressive...

By the way, I waited for an hour in the rain at the corner of Mott & Kenmare. I'm sending you the dry cleaning bill....

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Yes, I was "not kidding" about the plane ticket as well.
rolleyes.gif
Serious question: did you in fights a lot as a kid (if you're not one now)? I only ask because you're incredibly obnoxious and agressive...

By the way, I waited for an hour in the rain at the corner of Mott & Kenmare. I'm sending you the dry cleaning bill....

Yes actually. Mostly with douchebags like you.

Unfortunately I won't be able to pay the dry cleaning bill since I'm only a lowly violinist.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry - didn't see your edit. Kidding about rap or kidding about
boxing[1].gif
? You're a total fool if you think that I'd seriously challenge someone who lives in a different state to a fight over the internet. As for rap, I've posted my thoughts on that before, much along the lines of what I've written here. You can look them up! Not frontin', dude!
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads