• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of ordering bespoke button boots from Jan Kielman - Thoughts?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am considering a purchase of the button boots below using Jan Kielman's internet service. Has anyone used Kielman's service in the past, or seen these boots in person? If so, please post any comments that you may have.

kielman2-1.jpg

p_modele20meskie20009.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A pair of button boots like those are also on my to-purchase list. I'm interested in hearing opinions on Kielman's service as well.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry for the rant, but...

I don't know what the **** you are all thinking with you red trimmed shoes and your button boots. If you don't need or want another good looking shoe, that is fine. Why don't you spend your money on shirts, ties, jackets, your wife, save it, whatever? Why would you go out and buy something that is absolutely hideous and guaranteed to make you look like a freak? If I see a guy in a Men's Wearhouse suit, I think nothing of it. If I see button boots or red trimmed black shoes, I think what a freak, why would any sane person wear those. To me they show an ultimate lack of any sort of style.

OK, thanks.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I am considering a purchase of the button boots below using Jan Kielman's internet service.

kielman2-1.jpg

I would say, that is a faux button boot; it's got a rather big zip (and a black one as well) going down on the inside!

Better see it in the flesh, before you order it on-line.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, you can see the zipper seam on the other pic as well.

There is a .0000001% chance I would ever get a button boot, but there is 0% chance I would get a zippered fake button boot.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I don't know what the **** you are all thinking with you red trimmed shoes and your button boots. If you don't need or want another good looking shoe, that is fine. Why don't you spend your money on shirts, ties, jackets, your wife, save it, whatever? Why would you go out and buy something that is absolutely hideous and guaranteed to make you look like a freak? If I see a guy in a Men's Wearhouse suit, I think nothing of it. If I see button boots or red trimmed black shoes, I think what a freak, why would any sane person wear those. To me they show an ultimate lack of any sort of style.

OK, thanks.

The following is an opinion of the writer and in no way expresses the thoughts or opinions of the forum nor any of it's users, except edmorel who would agree with Matt 100% if he knew it would not affect any of his sales.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the rant, but... I don't know what the **** you are all thinking with you red trimmed shoes and your button boots. If you don't need or want another good looking shoe, that is fine. Why don't you spend your money on shirts, ties, jackets, your wife, save it, whatever? Why would you go out and buy something that is absolutely hideous and guaranteed to make you look like a freak? If I see a guy in a Men's Wearhouse suit, I think nothing of it. If I see button boots or red trimmed black shoes, I think what a freak, why would any sane person wear those. To me they show an ultimate lack of any sort of style. OK, thanks.
+1
smile.gif
(except for stilmacher's red-trimmed black shoes. I think those are great for a casual outfit)

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
tarmac and bengal-stripe,

Thank you - I noticed this a while back as well. Kielman has confirmed they can make the boot for me sans zipper, in the traditional way.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know what the **** you are all thinking with you red trimmed shoes and your button boots. If you don't need or want another good looking shoe, that is fine. Why don't you spend your money on barbershop jacket, pink sunglasses, "bulging" monk shoes, dress shorts, OTC tube socks, whatever? Why would you go out and buy something that is absolutely hideous and guaranteed to make you look like a freak? If I see a guy in a Men's Wearhouse suit, I think nothing of it. If I see button boots or red trimmed black shoes, I think what a freak, why would any sane person wear those. To me they show an ultimate lack of any sort of style.

OK, thanks.

fixed.

j/k
devil.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

OK, thanks.

Simply because you do not like these boots they do not signify "an ultimate lack of any sort of style." These boots are "good looking", they are simply not good looking to you. Nothing more.

Besides, one fails to understand the reason for your foul-mouthed rant on something that doesn't concern you. I already have dozens of good RTW and bespoke shoes in the "normal" colors and styles. I would like something different, that's all.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I see button boots or red trimmed black shoes, I think what a freak, why would any sane person wear those. To me they show an ultimate lack of any sort of style.

musicboohoo[1].gif

They are no more hideous than any other style of dress boot. Even most typical men would definitely do a "wtf?" if they saw one of us wearing something like these with a suit, which everyone was lusting over last week: http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...hell-cordovan/

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

OK, thanks.

Unhinged! Love it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
musicboohoo[1].gif
They are no more hideous than any other style of dress boot. Even most typical men would definitely do a "wtf?" if they saw one of us wearing something like these with a suit, which everyone was lusting over last week: http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...hell-cordovan/

I've got to say, I do see a big difference in the shell boots and button boots. One is quirky, the other arcane. I think most people these days consider button boots women's wear. Typically you see them on caricatures of old ladies. Think Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies. That said, I wonder about the practicality of ordering such a thing online. I've heard here that button boots are one of the trickier bespoke footwear options. Perhaps someone who knows more can address the topic. .

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like them - something different and beautiful. Go for it Eustace! I think someone on the FNB forum once posted a review of Kielman - you may want to do a search there.

Matt - suprising to hear such a rant from someone who likes pink sunglasses, pink pants, unbuttoned BD shirts etc.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whatever, it is just my opinion. I think they look stupid, are ugly and are way over the line of wearing a costume. Then again, civil war reenactors look pretty weird to me as well.

I have never cared when people ridiculed my choices, and reserve the right to do the same.

More to the point is, with what would you wear a pair of contrast top button boots? Would you also don your morning coat or frock?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads