• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Unknown Italian Tailors, Etc.?

dibenetto

Reaction score
why specifically italian???

italians charge two arms and legs because their costs is already one of each.......

i pay around 25% of retail bespoke (entry level bespoke) by my guy who is not italian and i don't mind his nationality

i pay around 15% of retail MTO shoes (fairly high end MTO) for bespoke shoes and i dont mind the shoemaker nationality either but i scream when the fit is not perfect.......

i pay H&M shirt prices for bespoke italian cotton shirts but that's because i sell them......

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've discovered a fatal flaw in your query. If the tailors are unknown... how will we be able to tell you about them?

I can't tell you about something I don't know!

(well, I suppose I could, but it wouldn't help you much)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I've discovered a fatal flaw in your query. If the tailors are unknown... how will we be able to tell you about them?

I can't tell you about something I don't know!

(well, I suppose I could, but it wouldn't help you much)

and further answers might lead to this thread.

Krawczak

Reaction score
Might you further support your favorite tailor and cobbler by sending them some business? Recommendations?

Regards,
Alexander

Originally Posted by dibenetto
why specifically italian???

italians charge two arms and legs because their costs is already one of each.......

i pay around 25% of retail bespoke (entry level bespoke) by my guy who is not italian and i don't mind his nationality

i pay around 15% of retail MTO shoes (fairly high end MTO) for bespoke shoes and i dont mind the shoemaker nationality either but i scream when the fit is not perfect.......

i pay H&M shirt prices for bespoke italian cotton shirts but that's because i sell them......

brescd01

Reaction score
I have always wondered about this myself: the problem (or blessing) with Italy is that there are so many tailors that I am not sure that you do yourself justice by seeking often-repeated names on English language fora. Plus, I would not limit myself to Italy.

I bet you could do very well picking virtually any city you want in Italy to visit, and then asking locally for recommendations. Alternatively, you could inquire vis a vis any particular Italian city at the Nine Doors web site.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you can speak Italian and have a lot of time for searching out, visiting and gonig to fittings it seems like it would be difficult to do very well for much less than the cost of brand name bespoke.

It would, however, be great if I were wrong about that.

bobby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
I have always wondered about this myself: the problem (or blessing) with Italy is that there are so many tailors that I am not sure that you do yourself justice by seeking often-repeated names on English language fora. Plus, I would not limit myself to Italy.

I bet you could do very well picking virtually any city you want in Italy to visit, and then asking locally for recommendations. Alternatively, you could inquire vis a vis any particular Italian city at the Nine Doors web site.

Not a bad idea.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO, the idea of the truly great unknown if much more fantasy than reality. Proceed with caution.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Rocco Sefredi is relatively unkown in the tailoring world. He does everything by hand, and he is especially proficient in handworking holes.
He endorses a line of clothing in France. I forget the name of it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not certain I would call Solito an unknown but he is certainly overshadowed on the international stage by his more prominent Neapolitan collegaues. Two different hotel concierges in Naples recommended him as the best tailor in Naples.

I have also heard that one of his relations is a top tailor in Mexico City.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics