• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does St. Crispins...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
As above, but bigger pictures:
When Arthur Nikisch (1855 - 1922) was appointed as chief conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra he gave a press conference, stating, that in his first season, he wanted to perform a lot of music by Brahms. When a journalist mentioned that Boston audiences did not care very much for Brahms, his rely was: "Zen vee play him, till zey do!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Nikisch

Just like our Fritzl.

Nobody (apart from iammatt) cares one iota about this type of Austrian "summer-shoe". But our Fritzl is persistent: "Zen I post zem, till zey do!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Nobody (apart from iammatt) cares...

Thats enough for me.

Btw, nice anecdote. Do you know, which shoes were in his rotation.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not when I was at Schonbrunn.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's what I call a nice summer shoe:

intersectionFerrari.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's what I call a nice summer shoe:

intersectionFerrari.jpg

Each to his own.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
. . .

Nobody (apart from iammatt) cares one iota about this type of Austrian "summer-shoe". But our Fritzl is persistent: "Zen I post zem, till zey do!

I like them and will one day get a pair of perforated or woven shoes. I just don't know yet exactly which I like.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the shoes posted by fritzl, but I certainly prefer them to the lipstick red Tod's.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Wasn't that style of summer shoe worn by the Austro-Hungarian Emperor, Franz Joseph?

I am not too sure, if FJ had this kind of informal footwear beside his hunting boots. I'll be in Vienna next week. Maybe I can do some research.

His last, meant for his formal shoes, is on display at Rudolf Scheer & Soehne. It is kind of a extreme square toe. Vass book p. 35;

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I am not a fan of the shoes posted by fritzl, but I certainly prefer them to the lipstick red Tod's.
I don't particularly care for the red ones (they were the first pictures I could find), but a summer shoe should be worn without socks (particularly when worn with shorts) and should easily slip off (just in case, you want to cool your feet in the local pond).

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When Arthur Nikisch (1855 - 1922) was appointed as chief conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra he gave a press conference, stating, that in his first season, he wanted to perform a lot of music by Brahms. When a journalist mentioned that Boston audiences did not care very much for Brahms, his rely was: "Zen vee play him, till zey do!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Nikisch

Just like our Fritzl.

Arthur Nikisch:

nikischlh5.jpg

Nice frock coat!

Apart from that don't forget that Johannes Brahms was German - born in Bremen.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On your next visit to Vienna, look in at Materna. He has at least one sample shoe in elephant. (It's rather ugly, but, hey, if it floats your boat.)

Should you care for it, there is a premium of some EUR 310 to the standard bespoke price.

maternareport43.jpg

Just back from Vienna I took care of your kind advise. They have several samples and yes, they float my boat.

At least, several years ago, for some reason(I cannot remember), I did not like Maternas' shoes. Hmmmh, what can I say. I'll give them a shot in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads