• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gordon Yao

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
I have not seen any tailor in HK who can really cut a soft suit. They are all structured and boxy. The only exception being Tux&Collars whose tailor have received training in Naples. Unfortunately the store front is no longer in business and I have never gotten the tailor's personal contact.

I am looking for a new suit to be tailored in Hong Kong and am incline to choose between WW Chan or Gordan Yao. However, I do not know if they are willing to do an unpadded shoulder on my suit with high armholes.

I'm tempted to try Tux& Collars but have never heard or seen any of their finished suits. What is their price point for suits? Is there anywhere else in Hong Kong or China where they can do a Napoli style suit well?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I am looking for a new suit to be tailored in Hong Kong and am incline to choose between WW Chan or Gordan Yao. However, I do not know if they are willing to do an unpadded shoulder on my suit with high armholes.

I'm tempted to try Tux& Collars but have never heard or seen any of their finished suits. What is their price point for suits? Is there anywhere else in Hong Kong or China where they can do a Napoli style suit well?

i habe just picked up some shirts from tux & collar, and ok they are twice the price of jantzen, but also 3 times the quality, and the fit is spot on. i would give them a look. apart from that you can get kiton from swank in alexander building in cenral

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere else in Hong Kong or China where they can do a Napoli style suit well?

If you want Napoli style suits, go to Naples or be prepared for disappointment.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
That's probably very good advice.

Will any of the travelling HK guys use a soft canvas, reduce the shoulder padding or add a bit of drape?

I've been thinking about trying Chan or Yao or someone like that but it just doesn't sound like I'll be happy with the results or if I am, it will be the result of long painful negotiations - neither of which are good outcomes.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
That's probably very good advice.

Will any of the travelling HK guys use a soft canvas, reduce the shoulder padding or add a bit of drape?

I've been thinking about trying Chan or Yao or someone like that but it just doesn't sound like I'll be happy with the results or if I am, it will be the result of long painful negotiations - neither of which are good outcomes.

My last Chan arrived with minimal padding and soft canvas (the first two had to be sent back to have padding removed). They do not have any drape but I haven't asked.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i have heard from a little bird that the Japanese can do a neopolitan inspired tailoring quite well, and from some of the pic's i have seen in Mens EX and Mens Club they are pretty close. how they would in fact compare i dont know

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
i have heard from a little bird that the Japanese can do a neopolitan inspired tailoring quite well, and from some of the pic's i have seen in Mens EX and Mens Club they are pretty close. how they would in fact compare i dont know

Neapolitan inspired, yes. It will never be original.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

dui le!
tounge.gif

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me, personally, I don't think at this stage in my life I can afford to get a handmade suit from Naples. Just as many go to Hong Kong to make suits, they know they cannot get savile row quality but they are still satisfied for the price they pay.

I like the soft construction from Naples because it complements my physique well and I don't expect to get the same quality in Hong Kong but if something similar i.e. soft shoulders or no padding and high arm holes can be had for one or two thirds the price of a real Neapolitan suit, wo jiu hen man zu le.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For me, personally, I don't think at this stage in my life I can afford to get a handmade suit from Naples. Just as many go to Hong Kong to make suits, they know they cannot get savile row quality but they are still satisfied for the price they pay.

I like the soft construction from Naples because it complements my physique well and I don't expect to get the same quality in Hong Kong but if something similar i.e. soft shoulders or no padding and high arm holes can be had for one or two thirds the price of a real Neapolitan suit, wo jiu hen man zu le.

na me, ni ke yi qu shi yi jian ba! ran hou zai shuo zenme yang! ru guo nni bu shi le, ni yi bei zi jiu bu hui zhi dao!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
HEY! Bring that in English!
smile.gif

billiam

Reaction score
has anyone used Gordon Yao for shirts? how is the quality, and is the price range similar to Ascot Chang? I'm thinking of having a few shirts made at Ascot Chang so I have a "profile" there to facilitate future internet/mail orders, but am also thinking if I should try shirts with Yao as well. I'm thinking I will probably get a suit from Yao, but I'm wondering if its worth it to get some shirts there as well, or just stick with Chang (and some Jantzen thrown in).
Thanks.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I don't think Yao makes shirts.

I remember seeing shirts there but he didn't ask about gettingshirts made and referred me to AC instead.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I remember seeing shirts there but he didn't ask about gettingshirts made and referred me to AC instead.

yes from what i have heard from other tailors this is the norm with GY, but cant be bad as AC is perhaps still the best shirt maker in HK! i have heard also they make for Broni too

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads