• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blackberry, treo, nokia communicator

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to replace my treo - thinking about a blackjack, a blackberry curve, or a nokia communicator - anybody have anything interesting to say?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By Communicator I assume you mean the Nokia E90? Have in mind that it is MUCH larger than the other two choices but it is the most flexible. Think near-ultralight laptop in capabilities, piles of software.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I say Blackberry. I too gave up my Treo. I was sick of the constant bugs and hardware/software failures. Spent almost as much time fixing the ******* thing as I did using it.

The ubiquity of the Blackberry and it's relative ease of use are the biggest selling points.

If you need a true multimedia device, I'd recommend either the new Nokia N95 or the next version of the iPhone when it comes out in the new year.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Blackberry. The form factor is awesome, as is the interface, and since its JavaM based damn near every kind of program made will have a version for it.

Neo1824

Reaction score
I've had a treo for years and have had the same hardware/software issues.

Got a blackberry a few months back for work and now that I'm getting used to the differences in the layout, actually like it a lot. Is about 1/2 the thickness of my treo and have had no issues with internet/outlook/etc...

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should also look in to the Nokia E61i (I own one). Supports Blackberry Connect too, although email is naturally the Blackberry's strongpoint. The rest is a clear wash for the Nokia IMHO
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Blackjack and like it a lot. It is very small and light compared to other devices with qwerty keyboards, especially with the thin battery. It is also typically very inexpensive at the AT&T stores. I have a 2GB memory card in it, which is large enough to keep a few hours of music and other items.

Battery life can be kind of short with the thin battery, but I keep it plugged in to my computer all day so that it can stay synced and charged. The only thing I'd wish for is a better camera for times when I don't have a dedicated camera in my bag.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
blackberry. It also depends on what you'll use it for. The Curve is an excellent device.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blackberry

flashback

Reaction score
blackberry curve. I have one and I'm bonafide head-over-heels for it.

aarghh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
I have the Blackjack and like it a lot. It is very small and light compared to other devices with qwerty keyboards, especially with the thin battery. It is also typically very inexpensive at the AT&T stores. I have a 2GB memory card in it, which is large enough to keep a few hours of music and other items.

Battery life can be kind of short with the thin battery, but I keep it plugged in to my computer all day so that it can stay synced and charged. The only thing I'd wish for is a better camera for times when I don't have a dedicated camera in my bag.

+1 on the Blackjack. An additional advantage for me is that I can tether it to my laptop and have an HSDPA connection in most places in the US.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I just got a Curve a week and a half ago, and I am absolutely loving it. Allows me to read and respond to my work and personal e-mail, open attachments and go online without any problems. I recommend it highly.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blackberry, but if you use the e-mail function a lot, make sure you get a model with the full keyboard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads