• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Kengs

Reaction score
Like Jan (Libourel) stated, a properly designed 9mm HP load (say 124gr. +P) will more than suffice for self defense.

IMO, the boxo'truth is entertaining, but no substitute for real-world tests with 10% ballistic gelatin (and layers of denim).

Here's an oldie, but still one of my favourites: S&W Mod. 27, 8 3/8" barrel
2006_0814Image0010.JPG

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I'm going to try my hand at squirrel and rabbit hunting next year with the .22

Now for something bigger

Sig 220R with Insight M3 and Surefire G3

Easy to follow recipe

Abudeeba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Well, the time has come where I have decided to purchase my first firearm. I'm looking at a 9mm Beretta pistol. What kinds of guns do you all have and which would you recommend for a first timer?

All the opinions! Okay, here's mine: As a first time gun owner, you can't go wrong with the simplicity, ease of ownership, and low cost of an Automag.
rolleyes.gif

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Currently have a Baretta Mod 7 9mm, a cheap .22LR, and a .60 caliber flintlock pistol (relic and curio). Sadly I don't get to shoot much any more, but I plan on fixing that.

At some point I'm going to custom build a .308 match grade long range "sniper" rifle, but I'm unsure which gun to use as the base. And probably custom build a 1911 match grade pistol, unless I can find an actual WW2 era Colt model. It'd be nice to get an actual surplus M1 Garand, cosmoline and all, but holy hell are they expensive (easily $3000+).

Too bad I live in a particularly anti-gun portion of Commiefornia, or I'd get fun things like a machine gun, .50 caliber Barrett, a Thompson, and other such fun items.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6924oi5.jpg

Originally Posted by Jason762
I can find them for about $ 600 in useable condition. Those $ 3000+ ones are collector grades, and even those can be found for cheaper.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

This is true. I've been to the CMP store at Camp Perry a few times, and its pretty sweet. However, you do need to satisfy certain requirements to purchase -- have had some training, participate in shooting, etc. They have a new shipment so its probably a great time to buy from the CMP. They have .30 M1 Carbines also!

graxh5.jpg

Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
lol8[1].gif

Surprisingly, my Backups have never given me any trouble...

Meh, I think he means the TDE Automags. But I'll agree, I've never had problems with the .30 Carbine, 9mm Win. Mag, or 22 Mag variants. Neat pieces, if a little weak in the fit and finish department.

~ Huntsman

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very, very sharp eye. Yes, a Target model, in fact, chambered for .32 Colt New Police. Nice Smith, BTW. I collect some Colts, but I'm a Smith guy at heart, with an especial fondness for the 8-3/8" barreled pieces. Definitely need a blue M27, it's nickel brother needs a friend. What I'd really like is a nickel M53 in 8-3/8" trim. That would be sweet.

Regards,
Huntsman

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
No matter my feelings about guns, I love the fact that you are at the range in a 3-piece...

You must get a lotta weird looks..

Jason762

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

graxh5.jpg

No, no, no. That's wrong. You need a Thompson submachine gun with the 50 round drum mag... And a cigar.
laugh.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
No matter my feelings about guns, I love the fact that you are at the range in a 3-piece...

You must get a lotta weird looks..

Yeah, well, you gotta rock it like you live it, I say. I do get a a lot of weird looks, but then again that kinda happens to me daily. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Jason762
No, no, no. That's wrong. You need a Thompson submachine gun with the 50 round drum mag... And a cigar.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by j
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=27259

Heh heh heh, ask and ye shall receive. Thanks, j.

The suit with the Garand was a bit of an homage also, as John Garand was quite snappy for an engineer...

garand.gif

jcg2.gif

~ Huntsman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads