• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Cordovan boots

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just basically the standard chukka with a crepe sole.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
All of them are the same size (11.5 B/D). The longwings are on a different last though.

How do they fit?

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but what's the big deal with crepe soles? Wouldn't the double soled shoes with a traction, topy-like cover be near as good? I'd particularly like to hear Tom from LS's opinion as they mention crepe soles for Winter/wet weather.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saint
Probably a stupid question, but what's the big deal with crepe soles? Wouldn't the double soled shoes with a traction, topy-like cover be near as good? I'd particularly like to hear Tom from LS's opinion as they mention crepe soles for Winter/wet weather.

I can't say that I have too much experience with crepe soles in winter conditions here in Hawaii where winter is 65 degrees, but I did wear my crepe sole Aldens when I visited the factory during a snowy few days and they were great.

Somebody else could probably give you some better first hand experience.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crepe is softer, and for many people more comfortable. More cushion.

It's also simpler to make and has good traction. And lasts a long time, you can wear through the entire sole before having to repair it without damaging the rest of the shoe.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can leather soles be replaced with crepe during re-crafting? Does crepe stay pliable in very cold weather, unlike Dainite?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Crepe is softer, and for many people more comfortable. More cushion.

It's also simpler to make and has good traction. And lasts a long time, you can wear through the entire sole before having to repair it without damaging the rest of the shoe.

+1.

only downside is that it's really easy to get dirty.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And those combination crepe sole/leather toes that Alden likes look really cheap and crummy. IMHO.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
And those combination crepe sole/leather toes that Alden likes look really cheap and crummy. IMHO.

I agree, but if its a choice between having a crummy looking sole on a shoe or traction in wet conditions, I'll take traction.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of them are the same size (11.5 B/D). The longwings are on a different last though.
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
How do they fit?
Nearly perfect, but a little roomy in the toe box.
Thanks. I wanted to know if they fit the same or if the longwings (Barrie) were noticeably larger. It sounds as if the difference is negligible though, huh?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Thanks. I wanted to know if they fit the same or if the longwings (Barrie) were noticeably larger. It sounds as if the difference is negligible though, huh?
Mostly yes. I'll be ordering some more boots on the barrie last from Adam shortly as I've enjoyed how comfortable it is.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Got my cordo no8 chukka boots today courtesy of Tom Leathersoul!

GREAT boot....so much nicer in real life. And def size down ½ on the Barrie last

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads