• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Oh, forgot to post this anecdote from my last thrifting trip.

There was a woman in the thrift store, mid to late 20's, probably was attractive a few years ago but looked kind of rough now. Anyway, she was stumbling around the store, talking to herself, reeked of booze. Later on, she is in line ahead of me, dropping her junk everywhere, making a scene. Can't find any of her money, yelling at the clerk, digging through her pockets, when all of a sudden she just stops, walks away from the counter, and yaks everywhere. Leaves all her **** there, and stumbles out of the store. This was at about 4 in the afternoon.

Sounds like an episode of Intervention in the making..

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Pump and dump.

Veering dangerously OT, HomerJ...back to the Salvation Army? Anyone?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Veering dangerously OT, HomerJ...back to the Salvation Army? Anyone?
My roomate used to bring home the oddest strays. That woman would've been just his type. Robert Talbott paisleys. Found one of these today for $1. Others were.. $2-$3 before? Wife found a Dooney & Burke purse for $5. Leather's just starting to get broken in. Ehh, not great but certainly not a bad brand...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Nice paisleys. Last week I found a Talbott silk-wool blend paisley. I was going to sell it but couldn't bring myself to. I'm a sucker for a nice paisley.

VMan, you're a thrift machine. We simply don't have the thrift supply to support that kind of shopping here. The city isn't big enough. I don't think Atlanta could even come close to that. Do you buy any women's clothes, or stick to men's only?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not thrifted, but acquired with some amount of hassle: The lovely and understanding girlfriend brought these back from New York today:
DSC01231.jpg
At last...I should get Trad brownie points for this. Also, last week: Malachite ruler/paper knife:
DSC01109.jpg

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Nice paisleys. Last week I found a Talbott silk-wool blend paisley. I was going to sell it but couldn't bring myself to. I'm a sucker for a nice paisley. VMan, you're a thrift machine. We simply don't have the thrift supply to support that kind of shopping here. The city isn't big enough. I don't think Atlanta could even come close to that. Do you buy any women's clothes, or stick to men's only?
I stick to men's. Mostly, because I do not know many of the womens brands, and also because womens clothing performs horribly on Ebay. Last time i was thrifting, I saw a Charvet shirt, and noticed the store tag was still attached. My heart stopped and I quick pulled it out of the rack. Then noticed it was a womens shirt and put it back. I do have a womens H Huntsman tweed hacking jacket sitting in the back of my closet that I picked up four years ago or so. European size 48 (wmns) if anyone is interested for their wife or GF. But sometimes I see womens items mixed in with the mens (a lot of Jil Sander) and it frustrates me when I see the label and then realize its not a mens piece.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If things have been as dry for the rest of you as they have been for me, it explains why I had to go seven pages deep just to find this thread.

I found several pair of Aldens today...passed on two of them and a pair of AEs. The Aldens were slip ons and a bit dated. The AEs would need new heels. However, I did pick up three beautiful pair of Aldens, all in size 8 B/D. In themselves they would make 3/4 of a basic shoe rotation.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
If things have been as dry for the rest of you as they have been for me, it explains why I had to go seven pages deep just to find this thread.

I found several pair of Aldens today...passed on two of them and a pair of AEs. The Aldens were slip ons and a bit dated. The AEs would need new heels. However, I did pick up three beautiful pair of Aldens, all in size 8 B/D. In themselves they would make 3/4 of a basic shoe rotation.

Congrats done good.. thrifted fine....Even Down Under where its supposd to be spring cleaaning time there is nothing.
plain.gif
plain.gif
Oh ...wrong ....I lie I got a good pair of Timberland monkstraps today..
bounce2.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice finds tony. I still havent seen Alden at my spot, even though I've found CJ, Church's, etc.

Oh but please, straight lace them ASAP. They are crying out for it.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
But sometimes I see womens items mixed in with the mens (a lot of Jil Sander) and it frustrates me when I see the label and then realize its not a mens piece.

I see this a lot. In fact, I found a Luciano Barbera DB houndstooth jacket for $10 once, and didn't notice it was a woman's jacket until I got home. I thought I'd flip it, but I first offered it to one of the HR ladies at work. It fit her perfectly, and now I have massive HR brownie points.
smile.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Oh but please, straight lace them ASAP. They are crying out for it.

+1

Things have been pretty dry for me, too, although I find odd and ends here and there (ties, etc). I picked up the Zegna silk/cashmere sportcoat now listed in B&S earlier this week. I got this for me, $5:

p1050837xk2.jpg

Yesterday I found a great old (~1965 dated, can't remember exactly) made in England Aquascutum plaid wool balmacaan in my size that I was just about to walk out with when I found a tiny moth hole in the sleeve. Yeah, it could have been rewoven, but I have so much outerwear now that I can't justify it, and I don't think it would have sold. Alas.

I'm going to be hitting a few stores today, so we'll see what turns up.

pejsek

Reaction score
Nice sweater, Alan.
I've had the thrifting doldrums too. It's not so much that I can't find anything (though pickings are slim). The thrift stores have just become so grim, with new managers intent on charging high prices (I saw worn mainline Ferragamos at the Goodwill last week for $65!) and ever more people who seem to believe that they can make a living reselling on ebay. Where have the romance and adventure gone?!
Anyway, here are a couple of finds from yesterday. Apparently unworn silk velvet slippers from Sulka:

dsc00802uc1.jpg

dsc00807bc7.jpg

dsc00810gl7.jpg

I'll confess to being ambivalent about these. I admire the concept and workmanship (and I'm a big fan of velvet slippers) but they strike me as just a bit sinister and truly decadent--more for settling down with a portfolio of Aubrey Beardsley than for a nice wholesome glass of port in front of the fire.

And a nice wool/silk double-sided scarf from yesteryear courtesy of Simpson's:

dsc00816ac4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads