• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice find meister! Even though Rivkin was a complete dick (and that is partly reflected in his collection of watches) I really love this one:

w13.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I'm thinking about the Submersible for Christmas; but, I want to try it on. Is it that much heftier in terms of weight?

Also what's the best Panerai source in NY? I don't want to go to Torneau and the only other placed I've been in Wempe.

I got a sub a few months back, socal. Yes they are hefty, but compared with say a luminor historic model, the weight difference isn't much. Though I could not picture you wearing those 1000m subs with your TB suit!
laugh.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I got a sub a few months back, socal. Yes they are hefty, but compared with say a luminor historic model, the weight difference isn't much. Though I could not picture you wearing those 1000m subs with your TB suit!
laugh.gif

Yah I typically only wear the Longines with Thom Browne. I like the Glashutte with Black Fleece though.
smile.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
What about the Luminor Submersible?
Does the extra casing just add insult to injury when you're already at 44mm?

The 1000M Sub (aka La Bomba) I've always thought looks smaller than the rest of the 44mm line. I think it's due to the relatively smaller dial and thicker bezel. Same with the regular Submersible but to a lesser extent.

Of course the thickness and weight of the 1000M more than makes up for any perceived smallness.

There's always the Titanium Sub too if you're worried about weight.

pamfam.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody's creaming in their pants.
tounge.gif

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
My new IWC Novecento. I've been wearing it for almost a month now.

The movement was adapted from the DaVinci perpetual developed by Kurt Klaus. The entire calendar is advanced simply by turning the crown. When I first got it, it was set to 2000, and I spent about 45 minutes advancing the calendar seven years. The day, date, month and year are quick-jump, but the moonphase is continuous like the hour and minute hands. Due to the gearing, the moonphase will need to be adjusted by one day after about 120 years.

Attachment 6483 Attachment 6484

Pics of the movement poached from the IWC collector's forum.

Attachment 6485 Attachment 6486

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red, that is one nice looking time piece.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe my next purchase, though like everyone on this forum any other opinions would be appreciated.

FYI - I usually wear SS diver/sports style watches such the Rolex GMT Master II, Rolex Submariner 5513, IWC Fliegerchronograph 3706, Omega Speedmaster Professional or my current daily basher the Omega Planet Ocean. The common theme is that they are all black face & wear with either SS bracelet or change to a leather croc strap (either black or caramel depending on what colour shoues I'm wearing & if I have teh time to swap over in the morning).

Lately I have noticed how common the watches I wear are on others, in particular in meetings etc. So I am looking for a change.

Maybe I explain my thinking..

What attracted me to this is the story & history behind the designer - a great talking/discussion point (just like using an unusual pen - everyone has a Mont Blanc..). Even better for me is that it not readily accessible, not because it is price prohibitive but the fact that it is a limited run & not readily available.

Aesthetically it is simple which is important - it is a time piece, so one should be able to read the face without second guessing (like so many watches today that are full of complications).

As for rarity, the first production was limited in numbers (1000) as well as never to be repeated. Unlike the likes of Panerai which in most cases are price prohibitive & release numbered runs of most models every year.

http://www.giulianomazzuoli.com/

Man.jpg

Sorry for the rant..

tomjonesrocks

Reaction score
I'm speechless. Speechless! I make a decent income and all--but setting aside 8k of disposable income on my dream watch (a Panerai Daylight--steel band please) seems like something that may never happen. Yet there are photos here not of one Panerai--but a collection of them.

worship.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
Maybe my next purchase, though like everyone on this forum any other opinions would be appreciated.

FYI - I usually wear SS diver/sports style watches such the Rolex GMT Master II, Rolex Submariner 5513, IWC Fliegerchronograph 3706, Omega Speedmaster Professional or my current daily basher the Omega Planet Ocean. The common theme is that they are all black face & wear with either SS bracelet or change to a leather croc strap (either black or caramel depending on what colour shoues I'm wearing & if I have teh time to swap over in the morning).

Lately I have noticed how common the watches I wear are on others, in particular in meetings etc. So I am looking for a change.

Maybe I explain my thinking..

What attracted me to this is the story & history behind the designer - a great talking/discussion point (just like using an unusual pen - everyone has a Mont Blanc..). Even better for me is that it not readily accessible, not because it is price prohibitive but the fact that it is a limited run & not readily available.

Aesthetically it is simple which is important - it is a time piece, so one should be able to read the face without second guessing (like so many watches today that are full of complications).

As for rarity, the first production was limited in numbers (1000) as well as never to be repeated. Unlike the likes of Panerai which in most cases are price prohibitive & release numbered runs of most models every year.

http://www.giulianomazzuoli.com/

Man.jpg

Sorry for the rant..

Giuliano Mazzuoli designed a very distinctive watch. I love seeing them since I am a fan of the look for vintage gauges, dials, watch faces, etc. He seems to capture a modern vintage look. I'm just a little hesitant about the watch band, it is somewhat thin looking IMO, and the way it attaches is not as appealing to me as lugs. But, I am still considering one because it is still unique.

By the way, he also designed a very cool range of pens. Google his name. They are beautiful and a wonderful option to Mont Blanc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads