• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Stuart-- one of America's best

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to visit the Paul Stuart store in Chicago last Monday, and had forgotten just how great this store is! I don't know of any other store to get great ideas for my own wardrobe combos, see corporate casual done stylishly on mannequins, and a place for a huge selection of clothing!

The sportcoat selection alone was fantastic, and the ties this trip were really something (a dark navy blue with thin purple stripes was extremely nice, another customer was purchasing this one as I looked thru the selection).

True, there is not a lot of stuff with handwork (like buttonholes and lapels, although there IS a line of suits with these details, about $2k) but still looked great. the phineas label didn't impress me at all, actually-- no handstitched buttonholes to be found, nor were the lapels handpicked.

I bought the PERFECT pair of light grey trousers there, in what I would consider a true medium weight (unlike the feather weight wool I usually find, which wrinkles too easily) wool, flat front, and well made.

*I also visited ralph lauren, but I think the only section worth looking thru is the Purple Label; some casual stuff is nice but overpriced (Those interested in Black Label, there are a few suits popping up on ebay now)-- but found paul stuart to be far superior in look, display, quality, and "things I would actually wear" categories.

ragdoll

Reaction score
Did you visit George Greene, Saks or Despos on your visit to Chicago?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nope-- only made two shop-stops, ralph lauren and paul stuart. mostly, because I'll be in NYC this coming weekend. Wanted to save Saks, etc. for that experience (and I never seem to make it over to paul stuart in NYC for some reason).

I don't think I remember George Green, can you tell me about the store? Is that on Oak Street, and they carry Kiton maybe?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx

I bought the PERFECT pair of light grey trousers there, in what I would consider a true medium weight (unlike the feather weight wool I usually find, which wrinkles too easily) wool, flat front, and well made.

But you didn't get them cuffed!
bounce2.gif

I think Paul Stuart is great, but it's too expensive for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to say that I have never been much of a fan of Paul Stuart. It has always struck me as a store that sells a style that is too precious and perfect without encouraging much individual style.

That said, some of the pieces are very nice.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have three complaints against Paul Stuart: (1) nothing fits me, (2) the prices are high, and (3) I've always gotten the cold-shoulder in the Chicago store.

But, I like the style. Great colors.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I have to say that I have never been much of a fan of Paul Stuart. It has always struck me as a store that sells a style that is too precious and perfect without encouraging much individual style.

That said, some of the pieces are very nice.

It's pre-packaged taste.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's pre-packaged taste.

Pre-packaged, perhaps. But do you like it?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Pre-packaged, perhaps. But do you like it?

Yes, I like some of the pieces. The double-breasted suits in particular look nice but probably nothing would fit me.

I only receive the catalogue though, but I suspect size 34/36 is something they don't have.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I only receive the catalogue though, but I suspect size 34/36 is something they don't have.

Nope, they surely don't. I like a lot of the more casual offerings, but even the small sizes are far too large on me. All in all, though, I like the way they coordinate pieces together more than I like any individual thing. I definitely see how the look is very 'pre-packaged'. I would never actually dress that way; it's just a little too precious and requires a little too much effort.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the place. they have a particular bend on the classics and their quality of sportswear is especially excellent. I don't buy their tailored clothing or dress shirts, but I stock up on the sweaters, outerwear, gloves, scarves, trousers, socks, ties and pocket squares.

Their collection of enamel cufflinks is also the best I've seen.

The department stores have become more and more cookie cutter. Bergdorfs, Saks and Barneys virtually carry all the same labels and have morphed into one mega store. I walked the 6th floor at Saks last week and almost feel asleep from the lack of anything remotely interesting.

Of the three, Bergdorfs is by far the best merchandised and most interesting but it used to be better.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about H.Herzfeld? Is anybody a fan?

Yes, and Peter Elliot,too.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Herzfeld. More 'honest' than Paul Stuart.

Saks has always had a knack for being uninteresting. NM and BG are slightly better.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
How about H.Herzfeld? Is anybody a fan?

Love the merchandise but I've never been to the new location. FWIW, I think I have a very high tolerance for pushy salesmen and I think they're on the pushy side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads