• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an unexpected find last weekend. I was shopping with the wife in an area known locally as "Bogan-ville". To kill some time, I looked into the op shop, not expecting anything.

I found this Paul Smith jacket. Extremely lairy, with the lurid lining and hacking pockets, and not something I'd wear, but my 18 year-old has snaffled it.

1513494357_552eea48a1.jpg

When on holidays I picked up an assortment of ladies' scarves looking to use them as pocket squares. The highlight was this Liberty of London silk scarf for 50 cents. It's a bit large, but it seems to fold down enough to be used as a PS without bulging.

1513606183_8a671f0999.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I had an unexpected find last weekend. I was shopping with the wife in an area known locally as "Bogan-ville". To kill some time, I looked into the op shop, not expecting anything.

I found this Paul Smith jacket. Extremely lairy, with the lurid lining and hacking pockets, and not something I'd wear, but my 18 year-old has snaffled it.

1513494357_552eea48a1.jpg

1513606183_8a671f0999.jpg

I like that Paul Smith jacket! Especially the lining! Very cool find!

swb120

Reaction score
Had a good day a few days ago. Two brand new, never been worn, ties: one nice royal blue patterned Brooks Brothers tie; one navy blue Ferragamo tie with small US flags. I added a third (used, but in great shape) Burberry wool navy plaid tie. Total cost: $8.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jones New York charcoal 3 button 38R, appears to have been altered and then never worn. I found the tag in the coat pocket and the remains of hemming the pants in the pants pocket. Brooks Brothers 3 roll 2 blue blazer 40R. Fugly buttons. Alden shoes. Can someone identify these? I don't know anything about Aldens but I'm guessing the heels are resoled and there's black coloring around the shoe.. Does that make these junk? If anyone want the BB blazer or Aldens for dirt cheap let me know. I'll just charge about what I paid and shipping. The suit I guess I'll keep as a roll around in the dirt suit
biggrin.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Jones New York charcoal 3 button 38R, appears to have been altered and then never worn. I found the tag in the coat pocket and the remains of hemming the pants in the pants pocket.

Brooks Brothers 3 roll 2 blue blazer 40R. Fugly buttons.

Alden shoes. Can someone identify these? I don't know anything about Aldens but I'm guessing the heels are resoled and there's black coloring around the shoe.. Does that make these junk?

If anyone want the BB blazer or Aldens for dirt cheap let me know. I'll just charge about what I paid and shipping. The suit I guess I'll keep as a roll around in the dirt suit
biggrin.gif

Yeah. Those shoes are junk. Just ship 'em over to me and I'll get rid of them for ya! Don't bother to thank me, its just a service I provide.
devil.gif

The black is just some spill over from the edge painting that a sloppy shoeshine artist did. It should come of after a good cleaning with whatever you use to remove polish. Nice find!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found three NWOT Brooks Brothers 'Madison' suits (unhemmed pants). Unfortunately, none of the pants matched the jackets - they were just a little bit off as far as color or pattern. Wonder how that happened.

Did pick up two pairs of NOS Alden 539's and a dozen bags of other things. Lots of high-end ties (Brioni, Etro, etc)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to post this anecdote from my last thrifting trip.

There was a woman in the thrift store, mid to late 20's, probably was attractive a few years ago but looked kind of rough now. Anyway, she was stumbling around the store, talking to herself, reeked of booze. Later on, she is in line ahead of me, dropping her junk everywhere, making a scene. Can't find any of her money, yelling at the clerk, digging through her pockets, when all of a sudden she just stops, walks away from the counter, and yaks everywhere. Leaves all her **** there, and stumbles out of the store. This was at about 4 in the afternoon.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Oh, forgot to post this anecdote from my last thrifting trip.

There was a woman in the thrift store, mid to late 20's, probably was attractive a few years ago but looked kind of rough now. Anyway, she was stumbling around the store, talking to herself, reeked of booze. Later on, she is in line ahead of me, dropping her junk everywhere, making a scene. Can't find any of her money, yelling at the clerk, digging through her pockets, when all of a sudden she just stops, walks away from the counter, and yaks everywhere. Leaves all her **** there, and stumbles out of the store. This was at about 4 in the afternoon.

And people think thrifting is all fun and games.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn Vman, could not have been at Gurnee. At Gurnee I found today
some Breuer ties
some very nice BB ties
Some 7 folds with the tags cut off.
Each was $1.21
Almost gots some odd jackets, but too odd for what I am shooting for.
They were hand made full canvas, really cheap price, but not for me today.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Damn Vman, could not have been at Gurnee. At Gurnee I found today
some Breuer ties
some very nice BB ties
Some 7 folds with the tags cut off.
Each was $1.21
Almost gots some odd jackets, but too odd for what I am shooting for.
They were hand made full canvas, really cheap price, but not for me today.

Good finds. What brand were the 7-folds?

I have only found one 7-fold tie there - a NWT Tyrwhitt magenta dot.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno, the tags were removed. There were also a bunch of the Ike Behar self tipped ties, I didnt buy any of them.

Nashville

Reaction score
7 fold ?? great find , post some pics of those when you can
worship.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads