• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Actually I'm considering a custom scent. Don't know what it will smell like, don't really care actually, I'm just looking for the opportunity to trademark the name Vanilla Crotch. Too bad Tom Ford seems to have had the same inspiration for his print ads.

As for Chypre Vanille, well, I'm on the fence here. My only experience with chypre in general (at least from what I know) is a shave soap called Chypre Rose, and I totally did not connect with it. It was too perfume-y for my tastes, in the same manner that I can't tolerate Guerlinade. So when I hear Chypre, my brain automatically says "Portuguese cathouse" and I tend to back away slowly.

Don't run from Chypre... it's your friend. Actually, the name simply implies a dry, sometimes powdery citrus or green type scent, ala Tiffany for Men or Chanel Pour Monsieur (IIRC, the name comes from a long-discontinued scent that featured these notes and was called "Chypre." I guess the scent was revolutionary enough to lend its name to an entire scent category).

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing Tauer's Lonestar Memories.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Don't run from Chypre... it's your friend. Actually, the name simply implies a dry, sometimes powdery citrus or green type scent, ala Tiffany for Men or Chanel Pour Monsieur (IIRC, the name comes from a long-discontinued scent that featured these notes and was called "Chypre." I guess the scent was revolutionary enough to lend its name to an entire scent category).

Well, I might be tempted. I tried Chanel PM last year and was underwhelmed, but I did keep sniffing my arm later on, so there might have been something there worth sniffing.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Today I'm wearing Tauer's Lonestar Memories.

I liked his L'air du Desert Marocain. I think I'll dig up my sample for next week. How does LM compare?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver today. I'm really enjoying this one.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Culverwood, I've not yet tried Ormond Jayne, but I keep hearing such good things about it that I'm definitely going to have to try some out.

Ormonde Jayne is a very small organisation with a tiny shop just off Bond Street. Linda Pilkington is the lady behind it and as well as liking her colognes (eau de parfum on her site) I find they have a high percentage of perfume.

Sometimes to high. Champaca is really a female perfume but would work for men if it was not so strong. Initially the juniper top notes of Ormonde Man give it a Christmas smell but it I find it settles to a more restrained woody perfume.

My wife is also a convert and having tried Ta'if, Sampaquita, Champaca and Orris Noir she always goes back to Ormonde Woman.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
Ormonde Jayne is a very small organisation with a tiny shop just off Bond Street. Linda Pilkington is the lady behind it and as well as liking her colognes (eau de parfum on her site) I find they have a high percentage of perfume. Sometimes to high. Champaca is really a female perfume but would work for men if it was not so strong. Initially the juniper top notes of Ormonde Man give it a Christmas smell but it I find it settles to a more restrained woody perfume. My wife is also a convert and having tried Ta'if, Sampaquita, Champaca and Orris Noir she always goes back to Ormonde Woman.
Thanks! It makes me want to try them even more... except that I already have a problem with Lutens being TOO strong, so I hope these don't knock me over as well.
wink.gif
Anyway, today it's a little cooler, so I'm happy to be able to break out L'instant de Guerlain again. I really like this one; it's not weird or pungent in any way (as most of mine are), but it's very deep, very warm, and just plain lovely.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Last night to celebrate the first cold day of fall. "******" by CB I Hate Perfume. Woody and smokey.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Last night to celebrate the first cold day of fall. "******" by CB I Hate Perfume. Woody and smokey.

Wow... and I thought Ineke "Derring Do" and Lez Nez "Let me Play the Lion" were the oddest fragrance names.
wink.gif

Anyway, it's cooler today, so Prada Amber. Technically, it's marketed for women, but the deep patchouli and amber still work well for men (it's sweet, like CoSTUME NATIONAL Scent Intense, but also a little warmer and deeper).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
Has anyone tried out the new Tom Ford for men yet?

I did... and I was quite underwhelmed. I'm anxious to try the "Tom Ford for men Extreme," as I've heard that it is the standout from my fragrance-friends who have tried it and had the same reaction to the regular as I did. I certainly hope it is better; the regular for men was very flat, didn't really go anywhere. I'll admit my hopes were high, given how much I enjoyed Black Orchid, but TF for Men really wasn't anything special.

To give a comparison, it reminded me somewhat of Escada Pour Homme, if you've ever tried that one. Both have that soft, spicy, sort of understated manliness about them. Only, for $85 and for something from TF, I expected a little more romance. Had I it to do over again, I just would have saved the cash and bought the $15 bottle of Escada from TJ Maxx/Marshall's.

As for me, today I'm wearing Keiko Mecheri Musc. It's a VERY soft, very dry musk... the musky polar opposite of Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan.

Minkous

Reaction score
today i used a test bottle of Issey Miyake le pour home? (sorry if i butchered that) fairly nice scent none the less

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I did... and I was quite underwhelmed. I'm anxious to try the "Tom Ford for men Extreme," as I've heard that it is the standout from my fragrance-friends who have tried it and had the same reaction to the regular as I did. I certainly hope it is better; the regular for men was very flat, didn't really go anywhere. I'll admit my hopes were high, given how much I enjoyed Black Orchid, but TF for Men really wasn't anything special. To give a comparison, it reminded me somewhat of Escada Pour Homme, if you've ever tried that one. Both have that soft, spicy, sort of understated manliness about them. Only, for $85 and for something from TF, I expected a little more romance. Had I it to do over again, I just would have saved the cash and bought the $15 bottle of Escada from TJ Maxx/Marshall's. As for me, today I'm wearing Keiko Mecheri Musc. It's a VERY soft, very dry musk... the musky polar opposite of Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan.
I've been getting mixed reviews from my fragrance snobs as well. I've got about 10 samples here at home to try out but I've got such a backlog that it'll be weeks before I get to it. I've yet to delve into Keiko Mecheri. What do you recommend in her line?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics