• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A collection of oddities from http://zorigami.free.fr/odd_watches/ :
star_wheel.jpg
saltarello.jpg
regulateur_2.jpg
pp_cobra.jpg
otium_sphaera.jpg
migraine.jpg
mercator.jpg
lederer.jpg
jean_marcel.jpg
Haldi_opus_7.jpg
colossus.jpg
carlo_ferrara.jpg
angular.jpg
Bolshevik.jpg
belle_etage.jpg

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
This is a Martin Braun "La Sonnerie I". No. 65/100. It has a very nice chime/ring to the alarm that is fun to set before a meeting when you want it to be a short one. The band is croc and deep navy that is a nice compliment to the blue hands. I got this because I enjoy the old style numerals and crowns. They give it a simple vintage style but in a modern watch.

Great looking watch. Where did you find it?

playdohh22

Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Great looking watch. Where did you find it?

Having gotten re-married, I was trading in a watch given to me by my ex-wife. A non-Martin Braun dealer had this one which he had just received in trade under similar circumstances. It had been given to the guy by his soon to be ex, WWIII broke out, and he never wore it! So, I got essentially a brand new watch. The wooden box that it came in is amazing. I was thinking that it would make a great humidor!

Since many of his watches are limited editions, it is nice to have something that you don't see on everyone. Yet, I also love my Submariner.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Since many of his watches are limited editions, it is nice to have something that you don't see on everyone. Yet, I also love my Submariner.

Interesting. The two extremes - the most ubiquitous mechanical watch ever and a rare small series timepiece.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
What about the Luminor Submersible?
Does the extra casing just add insult to injury when you're already at 44mm?

pam_87_1.jpg

PAM_00252_front.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PAM87 sub 1000m is great and I think the case is perfectly proportionate. It's one of the truly classic PAMs (affectionately nicknamed "La Bomba")

The North Pole GMT compass bezel thing is a bad joke IMO. Very gimmicky

As far as size is concerned, Panerai is one of the few brands that have big cases as part of their DNA, so they cannot ever be faulted for using large, chunky cases IMO. If anything, most of their current cases are smaller than the original they're "replicating". Subs are inspired by the old Egiziano, which was 60mm+

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

The North Pole GMT compass bezel thing is a bad joke IMO. Very gimmicky

Thank you. I was sitting there figuring out how that would actually be used as a compass.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Thank you. I was sitting there figuring out how that would actually be used as a compass.

Sadly it can actually. I don't remember how exactly but it's something like pointing the hour hand to the sun and depending on whether it's AM or PM you align the bezel one way or another... et voila you know where the North is.
plain.gif

RichardKunin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I really like these two. Any good sources for shagreen straps, as seen on the Oris?
No idea, the Oris with the strap was a passed down to me by my father. If I find out I'll be sure to tell you. A few more.
Picture008-3.jpg
n721435591_192513_4527.jpg
023.jpg
n721435591_192511_3915.jpg
n721435591_192510_3643.jpg
GoldSeamaster010.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'm thinking about the Submersible for Christmas; but, I want to try it on. Is it that much heftier in terms of weight?

Also what's the best Panerai source in NY? I don't want to go to Torneau and the only other placed I've been in Wempe.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about the Submersible for Christmas; but, I want to try it on. Is it that much heftier in terms of weight?

Also what's the best Panerai source in NY? I don't want to go to Torneau and the only other placed I've been in Wempe.

Yes it is very heavy

If you only want to shop at authorized dealers, then Wempe and Cellini are my only recommendations.

There are a number of grey market dealers in the city that will give you better prices than list (couple in diamond district). They generally advertise their current inventory on Paneristi's collector market, which I imagine you're familiar with

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Cool maybe I'll check them out (names?). I'm also trying to sweeten up the owners of some of the stores (ADs) in my region I now oversee who carry Rolex, Ulysee Nardin, Hublot, Panerai and IWC to see what they could offer me.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool maybe I'll check them out (names?). I'm also trying to sweeten up the owners of some of the stores (ADs) in my region I now oversee who carry Rolex, Ulysee Nardin, Hublot, Panerai and IWC to see what they could offer me.

Good luck with that one!

Check out Gary Jemal (aka jemwatch) on Paneristi and his watches on the collector market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads