• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

8.5 Alden/Shell Cordovan burgundy monks

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone interested in a pair of these? I picked 'em up from Team Shoes/Seaport and I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse.

They're still brand new in box.

I'm asking $350, but after paypal fees and shipping costs, I'll refund you so that I don't lose any money on them (you'll probably end up paying ~$340 as I paid $325)

I don't think there are any 8.5's left on the site, so this may be your last chance to save a cool $150 on a pair of brand new Alden shells
smile.gif

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
these are sweet. i was looking up these shoes on that site to see if they had any in my size as this is a low price.
somebody posted a photo on the alden longwing thread showing him wearing a pair of shell monks with his pants it looked really nice.

uh oh. you are having my syndrome.

it's those boots you bought that made me really change my mind on these

this is the picture. originally posted by LSeca:
waywt005-2.jpg

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
yes that is it. LSeca i m sure what tugging at his pants to show the whole shoe, but otherwise that photo was what got me a bit interested in dressy single-strap derby monks in shell .
i think that is an authoritative and avant garde look for any profession.

these deals dont come often on these shells especially Alden. Alden hardly ever go on sale and when they do it is due to an unfortunate going out of business for someone.
i just couldnt find my size on that site.

the boots are lovely yes, but these are sweet and once in a lifetime opportunity as well.

rezzor

Reaction score
Do you happen to know how these compare in sizing to the Aberdeen last? I have some NST shells on that last in 8.5 they are just right. Or if you could measure the soles then I could just compare. Thanks.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rezzor
Do you happen to know how these compare in sizing to the Aberdeen last? I have some NST shells on that last in 8.5 they are just right. Or if you could measure the soles then I could just compare. Thanks.

Looks like a hair over 11.5 by 4 even.

I'd check with an Alden expert on the lasting system, though...better to be safe than sorry.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these true to size?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Are these true to size?

I would say that they are...they fit, more or less, like every other 8.5 I've owned.

If you want specific comparisons to Allen-Edmonds lasts, the C&J 248, or the Alden model 986, I can try to put together a specific comparison for you.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested, but I have narrow feet, and I once had to return some Aldens in 8.5 off ebay because they were way too big (width AND length). Anyway, any description you give related to AEs would help, as that's about all I've found that fit. I wear the standard Park Avenues in a narrow 8.5.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
I'm interested, but I have narrow feet, and I once had to return some Aldens in 8.5 off ebay because they were way too big (width AND length). Anyway, any description you give related to AEs would help, as that's about all I've found that fit. I wear the standard Park Avenues in a narrow 8.5.

These will definitely not work for you--sorry. I wear the Park Aves in 8.5D and they're slightly too narrow for me (but these monks are just right on the width for me).

rezzor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
These ARE on the Aberdeen last.
smile.gif

The link in the OP says "Barrie Last.Style:#954 ", could that be an error?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, my feet are in this thread! These are great shoes guys, very nice to have around this time of year as they can take a beating. Good price too.

Btw, every once in a while I use black AE cream polish (sparingly applied) to make my my monks look like that. The pic above was taken without a flash.

Good luck with your sale nerdykarim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads