• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Cordovan boots

Phil

Reaction score
I wear ankle boots with suits all the time. Like shoes, they vary in respect to formality. I have a pair of single leather soled Banbury boots, from Edward Green, that I would wear with any suit in my wardrobe. Conversely, the Alden boots I have are much chunkier. Double soled, bigger lasts. They dont look right to my minds eye with thinner wieght suits. They look great with heavy tweeds though.

Phil

Reaction score
I wear ankle boots with suits all the time. Like shoes, they vary in respect to formality. I have a pair of single leather soled Banbury boots, from Edward Green, that I would wear with any suit in my wardrobe. Conversely, the Alden boots I have are much chunkier. Double soled, bigger lasts. They dont look right to my minds eye with thinner wieght suits. They look great with heavy tweeds though.

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
I'm weighing two different options right now in terms of Alden cordovan boots: a black chukka monkstrap and a high lace up cigar shell wingtip (or maybe even a plain toe shell cordovan).

I'm deciding based on the following criteria: versatility and durability. Which do you guys recommend? I do wear navy, gray and brown pants quite often, as well as dark jeans. I'm so lost but I feel a strong desire to own a really decent pair of boots. I've yet to drop this much money on some nice boots so I'm deciding carefully.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
I'm weighing two different options right now in terms of Alden cordovan boots: a black chukka monkstrap and a high lace up cigar shell wingtip (or maybe even a plain toe shell cordovan).

I'm deciding based on the following criteria: versatility and durability. Which do you guys recommend? I do wear navy, gray and brown pants quite often, as well as dark jeans. I'm so lost but I feel a strong desire to own a really decent pair of boots. I've yet to drop this much money on some nice boots so I'm deciding carefully.

FWIW-cigar shell is very scarce right now. Both Tom at LeatherSoul and Adam at Alden of Carmel indicated new cigar shell boots/shoes won't be coming in until at least mid 2008.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I have a pair of the burgundy chukka cordo boots coming from TomLeathersoul
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

If you're ordering online, def give Tom @ Leathersoul a shout out. Really cool guy and it's always nice to support fellow forumites. Plus you wont have to pay salestax with him (unless by rare chance yer in Hawaii)

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
I'm weighing two different options right now in terms of Alden cordovan boots: a black chukka monkstrap and a high lace up cigar shell wingtip (or maybe even a plain toe shell cordovan). I'm deciding based on the following criteria: versatility and durability. Which do you guys recommend? I do wear navy, gray and brown pants quite often, as well as dark jeans. I'm so lost but I feel a strong desire to own a really decent pair of boots. I've yet to drop this much money on some nice boots so I'm deciding carefully.
I really like the monk chukkas. Unique, offbeat and classy all at the same time.

ENT

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the cordovan chukka boots for some time now and was wondering how they fit. I'm a 9D in AE Park Avenues. Should I order the same in the cordovan chukkas?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sanrensho
I really like the monk chukkas. Unique, offbeat and classy all at the same time.

pic?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ENT
I've been eyeing the cordovan chukka boots for some time now and was wondering how they fit. I'm a 9D in AE Park Avenues. Should I order the same in the cordovan chukkas?

chukka is on the Barrie last, same as my longwings. I sized down ½ on everyone's advice that owns that last and it was spot on. So you should get 8½D if you are AE 9. I am AE8 and got 7½ Alden Barrie last and it fits perfect.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was planning on making a standalone post and cross posting it everywhere later, but since this thread is on topic, here goes: Moulded Shoe has a unique pair of shell boots that someone should buy. They are Alden, Norwegian Split Toe ankle boots (I didn't count, but probably around 8 or 9 eyelets) in No. 8 shell with the combination crepe sole (with leather tip) on the Barrie last in size 8E. I think they also have a storm welt though I don't remember. These are unique and are the only pair left over from a small special order run some years ago. They would be perfect cold weather boots and I would get them in a second if they fit me. I have admired them every time I go in the shop but as they have been making me envious I though I might as well help Moulded get rid of them. Their number and address is on the website. I don't know how much they cost or whether Moulded Shoe will ship or accept returns. Stop in, or call and ask for Ronnie as he will know exactly which boots I am talking about, though I suppose so will anyone else who answers the phone. Imagine this No. 8 shell boot:
AF53-view05.jpg
with the crepe sole and the apron and toe stitching of this shoe:
965.jpg
and you will have the idea.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moulded Shoe is a terrible name. I keep reading/thinking Mouldy Shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads